House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Bbc Now Hiding Content From Uk Viewers

I tried to open a link from an American website and was surprised to get this:

ipnk7t.png

So, let's get this straight.

Some money is taken from you to provide a service.

Later on, you discover that service is not quite what you think.

And you expect the people robbing you for this crock of shit to do what exactly...?

Keep taking the cash as long as dumb bastards like you are prepared to keep paying them for it seems to me to be the most likely outcome in this scenario - especially since it's worked very well for them since the 1920's...

XYY

I was thinking this: So hang on a minute. BBC worldwide is funded by UK licence tax payers to make programmes which make profit to invest back into 'great' BBC programmes. But we can't look at this content abroad even though we are paying for it. Why? What are they trying to hide?

I was thinking this: So hang on a minute. BBC worldwide is funded by UK licence tax payers to make programmes which make profit to invest back into 'great' BBC programmes. But we can't look at this content abroad even though we are paying for it. Why? What are they trying to hide?

Erm... nothing?

I take it the selling of the program made more than it cost you/everyone to make it. They just saved you 10p off your TV licence. I can live with that, and it was probably propaganda shite anyway. :D

BBC World Wide - International Site

erm.. yes, it's international.....except it's not is it, because the UK can't see it. Is the UK not part of all the international countries??

I'm very surprised BBC World Wide is shut off to the UK. Utterly bizarre. If a commercial aspect is the problem, surely the answer is put up some advertising aimed at the UK and allow access. That's what any commercial company would do.

World service is often what I would guess is not designed for UK sheeple consumption. They will often feature in depth reporting of, for example, quite close to home civil unrest in Ireland, Spain, France or even the London riots. Particularly when often the description of the woes of the country involved will mirror UK issues.

Either that or there's some issue with extra repeat fees or something.

I've noticed this too! I sent a link to somebody I know but it was not viewable, as he was in the UK!

What sort of censorship is this? :blink:

The Internet where I work comes via Italy! :huh:

I was killing time with the little one in the local library today, when I got this -

We are sorry but for rights reasons this activity can only be played in the UK. We do hope you continue to use the other activities on CBeebies and Grown-ups.

If you are in the UK and continue to see this page, please accept our apologies and contact us via our Grown-ups FAQ page, with as much information as possible about your machine's location

perhaps I was being routed through the US so GCHQ could spy on my 2 year olds cbeebies game scores?

I find it odd because I can listen to the World Service on the radio and they can't stop me! Is there a World Service on DVB, or is it a special "cut down" World Service just for the UK? :blink:

Their UK news coverage goes from bad to worse. One of the main stories on their website today is this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23683727

Jeremy Paxman 'may keep' notorious Newsnight beard

Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman says he "may keep" his new beard, after its debut caused a storm on Twitter.

Minutes after Monday night's programme started on BBC Two, the phrase "Paxman beard" had become a trending topic on the social networking site.

"I have grown a beard for the last few summers, and suddenly wondered whether I really needed to shave it off," said Paxman of the reaction.

"I may keep it or I may shave it off, but I think I'll make my own decision."

Among those to comment on the presenter's newly hirsute visage was crime writer Ian Rankin, who commented: "It is 1973 and I'm really digging the new album by Paxman's Beard."

"I like Paxman's beard," added comedian Jenny Eclair. "Looks like he might ride a Harley come the weekend."

"I hope Paxman's Beard is the episode of Newsnight where Jeremy meets the evil Jeremy from the parallel universe," said Rob Manuel, editor of influential internet newsletter B3ta.

Their UK news coverage goes from bad to worse. One of the main stories on their website today is this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23683727

A very important story, of National importance! :blink:

The World Service articles seem to "spill over" to domestic content, and vice versa!

The World Service is "allegedly" not at all funded by the UK license fee, but via the Foreign Office, er "allegedly", but I'm sure an audit would sort that out! :blink: I don't think the BBC knows what it is for, any more! :unsure:

The juxstapostition of Al-Jazeera news and the BBC is shameful if you ever have the chance to switch from one to the other. Its like a graduate lecture on the one hand versus GCSE nose-picking on the other.