House Price Crash Forum

The Lone Ranger

albimac

HOLA441

I usually take reviews with a pinch of salt, unless they form a clear trend. Which unfortunately seems to be the case with the Lone Ranger movie. I would like to see it in the cinema, but don't want to waste both my time & money. Has anyone seen it yet? Can you recommend it? I've enjoyed most of Johnny Depps movie's, including The Tourist unsure.gif if that's any help.

HOLA442

I usually take reviews with a pinch of salt, unless they form a clear trend. Which unfortunately seems to be the case with the Lone Ranger movie. I would like to see it in the cinema, but don't want to waste both my time & money. Has anyone seen it yet? Can you recommend it? I've enjoyed most of Johnny Depps movie's, including The Tourist unsure.gif if that's any help.

Took The Tourist out of the dvd player well before half way through, dreadful shite.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Was there one where he is a writer isolating himself in a cabin or something? That from memory was trash as well......wanted to eat the cyanide biscuit watching that one.

You don't mean Misery? Superb film.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I think I've seen all the films with a fight on top of a train that I ever need to see. That's the trouble with getting old i guess. Once you get half way to being dead, everything starts to look a bit lame and repetitive.

The girl on the BBC review said it wasn't as bad as the critics made out, but failed to explain in what way it was any good. Apparently the script is lame, it's overlong, and a confusing mix of comedy and drama.

Don't let me put you off, though.

HOLA448

Took The Tourist out of the dvd player well before half way through, dreadful shite.

You can say a lot about the cynical cash in PotC sequels, but at least they're elevated somewhat by really good visual effects, solid casting choices, decent action scenes, and imaginative costumes, but The Tourist is even worse, with no chemistry between the leads, an unlikable protagonist, flat soulless directing, awkward humour, and tame, sedate action scenes.

Film Brain tears it a new one here.

HOLA449

I think I've seen all the films with a fight on top of a train that I ever need to see. That's the trouble with getting old i guess. Once you get half way to being dead, everything starts to look a bit lame and repetitive.

The girl on the BBC review said it wasn't as bad as the critics made out, but failed to explain in what way it was any good. Apparently the script is lame, it's overlong, and a confusing mix of comedy and drama.

Don't let me put you off, though.

And after just "Matrix Reloaded", you've seen enough fighting on moving vehicles. That scene seemed to go on for about half an hour!

HOLA4410

I watched him in something about a 18th Century headless horseman - big pile of sh*te. I am amazed how many dire films he has been in yet he still keeps on getting work. I enjoyed 1 or 2 of the PofC ones but all his other ones have left me cold.

I saw the LR trailer on Youtube and felt bored halfway through that.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

You can say a lot about the cynical cash in PotC sequels, but at least they're elevated somewhat by really good visual effects, solid casting choices, decent action scenes, and imaginative costumes, but The Tourist is even worse, with no chemistry between the leads, an unlikable protagonist, flat soulless directing, awkward humour, and tame, sedate action scenes.

Film Brain tears it a new one here.

Ouch, A J gets it particularly bad.

HOLA4413

They seem to be going big on Empire's rating of four stars on their bill boards. Curiously they don't have any other reviews, perhaps Empire Magazine was the only one who saw the point.

Empire is, however, probably the most respected when it comes to movie buffs. If it was a Mirror or Sun review they were headlining, you just know it is a turkey.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Had to check out what "The Tourist" was at imdb to see what everyone was on about. Oh that. Funnily enough, the French original ( imdb) was much better, apart from the same lame ending . A good B-movie is better than a lame A-movie. The male lead does a really good job of turning from beta into alpha male. Jonny Depp just looks unpleasantly seedy. "The ninth gate" is rubbish too

HOLA4416

Tim Burton's always look great to me but are somehow lacking some emotional connection. The last one of his, and Depp's, that I truly liked was Edward Scissorhands. I wouldn't be sorry if either of them felt like retiring. Depp's not Keanu Reeves bad - I'm just tired of seeing him in lame films.

Brad Pitt, on the other hand, seems to have had a better hit rate. His performances in Fight Club and 12 monkeys are particularly good.

HOLA4417

You are the only person I've ever heard like that movie.

I've heard JD is thinking of retirement. He hasn't made a good film since that scissor hands one.

Didn't mind Scissorhands, or the very first of the 'Pirates' films, or Sweeney Todd, and Finding Neverland. rest of the stuff..least said the better. A sort of Michael Caine approach.

I made the mistake of saying "I enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean" as I was then given the fekking boxed set of tripe the next Xmas. In fact they are the only DVDs I own.

I now progress through the year never expressing an opinion to anyone about films, paintings, music, or anything that could possibly become a Xmas gift.

HOLA4418
1376478949[/url]' post='909375680']

You are the only person I've ever heard like that movie.

I've heard JD is thinking of retirement. He hasn't made a good film since that scissor hands one.

You'll love this then.......................I've willingly watched it twice so far. blink.gif

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I made the mistake of saying "I enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean" as I was then given the fekking boxed set of tripe the next Xmas. In fact they are the only DVDs I own.

If you have five minutes (or maybe it is a bit longer) take a look for Mark Kermode's review of Pirates of the Caribbean 3 - top quality summing up of the bilge that is the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

If you have five minutes (or maybe it is a bit longer) take a look for Mark Kermode's review of Pirates of the Caribbean 3 - top quality summing up of the bilge that is the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

15 minutes - but yes, on the button - 'load of stuff happens but nothing happens'

I never made it through the last of the trilogy. I fell asleep with bout 40 minutes left.

HOLA4424

or Sweeney Todd,

That's one Burton/Depp collaboration that I popped right out of the DVD player in boredom and disgust - I liked Sleepy Hollow in comparison and, though too young to fully appreciate it properly at the time, Ed Wood was a pretty strong movie as well. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory could not quite win against the nostalgic strength of Gene Wilder's movie, but was arguably more truer to the novel, Depp's Wonka was in some ways more unnerving and realistic than Wilder's Wonka, the "Willie Wonker" tune stuck in my head (but the soundtrack from the early 70s has stood the test of time), and Deep Roy made a good Oompa Loompa.

Mars Attacks! is a guilty pleasure.

Johnny Depp and Tim Burton have collaborated for many, many years, with repetition setting in:

His angry rambling goes on for the better part of 09:58 minutes.

Archived