House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Terrified British Girls Locked Up In Peruvian Hellhole Jail For 'smuggling £1.5Million Of Cocaine' Are 'hysterical

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389737/Terrified-Michaella-McCollum-Connolly-Melissa-Reid-locked-Peruvian-jail-cocaine-smuggling.html

Michaella McCollum Connolly, 20, and Melissa Reid, 19, are being held in a maximum security prison in Peru

Police say they found more than 11kg of cocaine in their luggage after they checked in for a 6,000-mile flight back to Spain

Claims the pair may have been picked up by a South American cartel after they met holidaying in Ibiza

Twelve guards armed with rifles patrol the perimeter of the jail

The pair are starving themselves while protesting their innocence

One guard described them as 'terrified and hysterical'

If one is found guilty for the entire haul she could be jailed for 25 years

The girls could face up to a year awaiting trial in Santa Monica Prison known to some of South America's most dangerous female criminals

Speaking from the family’s £400,000 detached home in Lenzie, near Glasgow, her 53-year-old father William added: ‘We are just trying to come to terms with it and we don’t really know anything.’

Phew, although no idea how much the seconds girls parents house is worth. Shoddy journalism really. Also if you are in any doubt about where Lima is the Wail helpfully has his graphic.

article-2389737-1B41FBE3000005DC-174_634x581.jpg

Although frankly it doesn't make up for them only getting in one house valuation.

Phew, although no idea how much the seconds girls parents house is worth. Shoddy journalism really. Also if you are in any doubt about where Lima is the Wail helpfully has his graphic.

That's a long way from civilization. I bet the local police are just jealous they don't live in £400,000 houses.

I have just been reading the story on-line. Let's hope that they are innocent and that justice is done.

Peru seems quite a way from Ibiza doesn't it.

Oh dear.

We go missing in Ibiza and get arrested a few days later on our way home from Peru.

Ler's hope they are innocent. Since hope would appear to be all we have.

Oh dear.

We go missing in Ibiza and get arrested a few days later on our way home from Peru.

Ler's hope they are innocent. Since hope would appear to be all we have.

I can't see it ending well for them. 25 years in jail if found guilty. That's their lives f*cked if they are convicted.

I can't see it ending well for them. 25 years in jail if found guilty. That's their lives f*cked if they are convicted.

I think that's the maximum, from what I've read it appears 7 years each for what they are carrying although I'm guessing if they have to serve it in Peru it will feel like 25 years.

The 25 years from the press reports is if one is found guilty for carrying all the drugs.

That's a long way from civilization. I bet the local police are just jealous they don't live in £400,000 houses.

Hell- all the houses in Lima together aren't worth £400,000. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389737/Terrified-Michaella-McCollum-Connolly-Melissa-Reid-locked-Peruvian-jail-cocaine-smuggling.html

Although frankly it doesn't make up for them only getting in one house valuation.

can't mention Northern Ireland house prices, down about 60% does not get through the DM's swear filter

Must be beyond a nightmare. I've been locked up in a few countries but South America scares the bejesus out of me

Last time I was in prison I met a few rather dazed and shocked recently arrested drug mules.

It was amazing, they all thought that they'd be freed within days, as the knobs who'd paid them $3000 to carry a kilo had of course assured them they'd paid off customs at both ends, none of them were of course. Suddenly $3000 to risk 2-4 years in prison (with max parole) didn't seem such a good idea.

They all reported the police knew exactly who was carrying too, and were ordered out of line by name. I think a lot of smugglers pay someone to carry a kg on a plane, then grass them up so that the girls carrying 11kg walk through undetected whilst the cops are busy busting the 1kg mule.

These girls got unlucky i guess. Although anyone willing to risk a long time in prison just cuz some dodgy south american assured you it's ok we've paid off the cops is such a n unbelievably gullible moron I don't feel an awful lot of pity for them

Must be beyond a nightmare. I've been locked up in a few countries but South America scares the bejesus out of me

Last time I was in prison I met a few rather dazed and shocked recently arrested drug mules.

It was amazing, they all thought that they'd be freed within days, as the knobs who'd paid them $3000 to carry a kilo had of course assured them they'd paid off customs at both ends, none of them were of course. Suddenly $3000 to risk 2-4 years in prison (with max parole) didn't seem such a good idea.

They all reported the police knew exactly who was carrying too, and were ordered out of line by name. I think a lot of smugglers pay someone to carry a kg on a plane, then grass them up so that the girls carrying 11kg walk through undetected whilst the cops are busy busting the 1kg mule.

These girls got unlucky i guess. Although anyone willing to risk a long time in prison just cuz some dodgy south american assured you it's ok we've paid off the cops is such a n unbelievably gullible moron I don't feel an awful lot of pity for them

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime; if you're going to be bad, you'd better be good, etc,

What's your chosen specialty?

I drive a truck on international journeys and a similar thing has happened to me too, albeit with less drastic consequences.

On more than a few occasions I have been stopped at Dover by an already-assembled HMRC search squad, obviously looking at my registration number written on a piece of paper, and then my number plate, as they watched me approach, the truck has been virtually taken apart in the inspection shed, and I've been intensively questioned about my movements. They act like people convinced they already know they have a sure thing.

The smugglers had simply phoned HMRC from Calais an hour earlier with a "tip-off" naming any random truck (on these occasions, mine) which has boarded the ferry ahead of their man as carrying drugs.

One one occasion I said to the HMRC goon squad leader "You do realise that while you're doing this, the real lorry with the drugs has driven out the gate?" and he looked thoughtful. :lol:

I drive a truck on international journeys and a similar thing has happened to me too, albeit with less drastic consequences.

On more than a few occasions I have been stopped at Dover by an already-assembled HMRC search squad, obviously looking at my registration number written on a piece of paper, and then my number plate, as they watched me approach, the truck has been virtually taken apart in the inspection shed, and I've been intensively questioned about my movements. They act like people convinced they already know they have a sure thing.

The smugglers had simply phoned HMRC from Calais an hour earlier with a "tip-off" naming any random truck (on these occasions, mine) which has boarded the ferry ahead of their man as carrying drugs.

One one occasion I said to the HMRC goon squad leader "You do realise that while you're doing this, the real lorry with the drugs has driven out the gate?" and he looked thoughtful. :lol:

Is your number plate "POT 1"? :blink:

Hell- all the houses in Lima together aren't worth £400,000. :)

As true in Lima as it is in London.

Unfortunately, not many people believe that at the moment.

But given enough time, my words will prove factual...

XYY

Cocaine, the drug of choice for bankers.

Teenagers, very manipulable.

Doubtful these girls had the £1,500,000 needed to finance an international cocaine smuggling operation when they flew to Ibiza on holiday..

I have been three times to Peru. Lima does have an edgy feel. Interesting country. I thought they had special 'gringo' (pardon any offence) jails. Last time I was told alot of dutch in them. Hence probably why every third person was searched after landing Lima to Schipol.

I have just been reading the story on-line. Let's hope that they are innocent and that justice is done.

Peru seems quite a way from Ibiza doesn't it.

Or, if they are guilty, let's hope that justice is still done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388688/Pictured-moment-arrested-The-British-girls-tried-smuggle-1-5m-cocaine-Peru.html

The pair are thought to have been recruited as drug mules on the promise of an all-expenses-paid holiday to Peru plus £8,000 each in cash by gang masters in Ibiza, where they had gone to work in bars and clubs over the summer.

I wonder where the Mail has plucked this figure from? Very stupid to risk it all for £8k if they haven't been duped. Although I'm not sure what sort of person would think that being sent to South America to bring a few food bags back all expenses paid is going to be anything other than drugs.

Video has been released of them being questioned. I think they are pretty much screwed judging by what is in the papers.

Apparently there are hundreds arrested for this in Peru each year. Seems that drug gangs hook people in Spain and then threaten them to do this. I find it difficult to see if they are threatened in Spain that they could not contact the Police.

Guest eight

Video has been released of them being questioned. I think they are pretty much screwed judging by what is in the papers.

Apparently there are hundreds arrested for this in Peru each year. Seems that drug gangs hook people in Spain and then threaten them to do this. I find it difficult to see if they are threatened in Spain that they could not contact the Police.

Spanish Police also on the take? I mean, it's not like their regular employers are in fiscal good health right now.

Wonder what Greek police morale is like?

Guest eight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388688/Pictured-moment-arrested-The-British-girls-tried-smuggle-1-5m-cocaine-Peru.html

I wonder where the Mail has plucked this figure from? Very stupid to risk it all for £8k if they haven't been duped. Although I'm not sure what sort of person would think that being sent to South America to bring a few food bags back all expenses paid is going to be anything other than drugs.

I'd imagine that working in bars and clubs in Ibiza all summer is no picnic either, and probably also attracts a certain sort of girl.

I pity these girls they are victims of Low Wage Britain. Stuck between bob hope and no hope they chose Lima. £8k in the back sky rocket must sound like a lottery win when you are on £6.18 an hour serving credit fuelled customers foreign tat.

If ever my children get an urge to earn a bit of extra money this way I'll drill it into them to come to me first and I'll see what I can rustle up. It can't be difficult to find a few kg for them to bring over and we get to keep the £1million my children are my pension afterall.

Disclaimer: actually I'd find the money for them not to do it.

I pity these girls they are victims of Low Wage Britain. Stuck between bob hope and no hope they chose Lima. £8k in the back sky rocket must sound like a lottery win when you are on £6.18 an hour serving credit fuelled customers foreign tat.

If ever my children get an urge to earn a bit of extra money this way I'll drill it into them to come to me first and I'll see what I can rustle up. It can't be difficult to find a few kg for them to bring over and we get to keep the £1million my children are my pension afterall.

Disclaimer: actually I'd find the money for them not to do it.

What they needed to so was find some other mug to do it for say £4k and they keep the difference?

As they got busted carrying £1.5m worth of drugs it does make you wonder how much does get through customs with no problems, how many who do this do get away with it? Perhaps 95% of the time when you are getting the pitch to do this and they tell you customs have been bought off etc... Maybe they have or is it just that the volume is so great the chances are you will just be able to walk through? I managed to smuggle onto the last plane I few on several capri sun, I forgot they where in the bag and scanner didn't pick it up or the operator didn't realise what the objects were.

I do get the feeling stories like this keep appearing to give the impression that the authorities are tackling the drug problem when in reality they are hardly touching the surface of the problem.