House Price Crash Forum

Social Housing Needs To Be More Social

HOLA441

The lower orders should damn well shape up and stop scrounging and become more self reliant. Just like my grandfather who built his own bungalow in a potato field sometime in 1492.

http://blogs.spectat...iscover-society

This has got to be satire surely?

My grandfather, an electrician, spent most of the Second World War on Malta with the RAF. His house in East London was destroyed by bombing during the war. With no home of his own he stayed with relatives when on leave and happily fell in love with my grandmother who lived next door. They married on VE day and after a few years had a daughter, my mum. In 1955 he answered an advert in the paper for a self-build group setting up in Essex. Together the group bought a potato field and over the next few years jointly built houses on the land. Giving up every weekend, evening and their precious annual leave they built thirteen sets of semi-detached houses between them which still stand today.
Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The lower orders should damn well shape up and stop scrounging and become more self reliant. Just like my grandfather who built his own bungalow in a potato field sometime in 1492.

Self building, sounds like a great idea.

Except the small problem of the Council bulldozers.

HOLA445

You can not do that these days, too many regulations stopping you from doing that, if they cant take a cut you dont get to build, if you do build it'll come down later and you'll have to pay for it.

HOLA446

I've been in some nice squats over the years where occupants have redecorated and there's electricity, running water and furniture... and most occupants were economically active or going to jobs. In fact, they better quality accommodation than many dank BTL holes rented for exorbitant fees these days. The inherent insecurity of that life wouldn't have tempted me but good on them for getting on their bikes and finding a home.

Likewise, 'alternative types' have frequently built low-impact solar eco-homes on land they've actually purchased.

So there's no more of a shortage of gumption out there among the hoi polloi than their was in this writer's granddad's day. But I don't think the rentier class really like the homeless using the homes or folks accommodating themselves on land they own, do they?