House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashedOutAndBurned

Labour In Foreign Workers Claim Row

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23662668

The Labour Party has become embroiled in a row with two of the UK's biggest retailers over claims they favoured Eastern European workers over Britons.

Tesco and Next reject the claims, which had been due to be made by shadow immigration minister Chris Bryant in a speech that was leaked to newspapers.

Before the speech, he said he wanted to "refocus the economy" so companies did not have to "bring in workers".

I worked once for a company that laid off a whole bunch of full time warehouse workers (fair enough, stuff happens) but then Eastern European temps were brought in. Same number of workers - cheaper wage bill. There's no real limit to this, is there?

Seems the political class have pushed the 'hard working immigrants vs. lazy Brits that don't want the jobs' line far too hard. Nothing lazy about being sacked and replaced to cut costs or or not even in the running for jobs due to your nationality.

No wonder poor working class people are voting for hardline neoliberals like UKIP.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23662668

I worked once for a company that laid off a whole bunch of full time warehouse workers (fair enough, stuff happens) but then Eastern European temps were brought in. Same number of workers - cheaper wage bill. There's no real limit to this, is there?

Seems the political class have pushed the 'hard working immigrants vs. lazy Brits that don't want the jobs' line far too hard. Nothing lazy about being sacked and replaced to dust costs or or not even in the running for jobs due to your nationality.

No wonder poor working class people are voting for hardline neoliberals like UKIP.

Same experience myself, mid Noughties, definitely under liebours watch. The locals who lost their jobs now sit at home claiming benefits. The foreigners now doing their jobs probably send a good portion of the money back home to be spent in that economy, rather than our own. The directors made good bonuses that year.

Same experience myself, mid Noughties, definitely under liebours watch. The locals who lost their jobs now sit at home claiming benefits. The foreigners now doing their jobs probably send a good portion of the money back home to be spent in that economy, rather than our own. The directors made good bonuses that year.

Agreed. Indeed Brits won't get an industrial tempting role up here any more. East Europeans are the employers choice.

Listening to Chris Bryant MP, it does appear he/Labour have finally figured out the link of accommodation costs forming part of salary, and therefore favouring migrant workers.

Chris Bryant has mentioned "sheds with beds" and employers paying minimum wage then deducting the charge for a bed in their shared accommodation block. ie. disadvantaging UK born workers who wish to be paid in money only.

Labour beginning to see the light, but it's far too late.

Agreed. Indeed Brits won't get an industrial tempting role up here any more. East Europeans are the employers choice.

Yep, because they can be paid part money and part accommodation costs.

The East Europeans are still naive enough to believe that any job will pay enough to cover basic living costs. Not in the UK it doesn't. Once they figure out they're being exploited, they either go home, try to get on benefits, or try for better paid work. That's why employers need a constant stream of new migrant labour.

The EU has reinvented the slave trade.

Listening to Chris Bryant MP, it does appear he/Labour have finally figured out the link of accommodation costs forming part of salary, and therefore favouring migrant workers.

Chris Bryant has mentioned "sheds with beds" and employers paying minimum wage then deducting the charge for a bed in their shared accommodation block. ie. disadvantaging UK born workers who wish to be paid in money only.

Labour beginning to see the light, but it's far too late.

Fairly certain these arrangement are illegal anyway due to the "Truck Acts" where payment of wages has to be in money. All seems to have gone by the board in our third world slave labour economy.

Chris Bryant screwed his case up with bad research. The political establishment on both sides, once again deliberately try and miss the points.

But there is an arms length relationship where many employers who employ temp agents and gang masters, but know full well what is really going on.

They were making the link on R5 Live between high accomodation costs and the fact that Brits won't/cant take these jobs (min wage) as they simply cannot survive on them.

That is the real debate we need to have, its not so much about the workshy and languishing on benefits (that's what the Gov't want you to think) many of these people want to work but simply cannot afford too.

Choices

1. languish on dole get housing benefit paid, live in misery.

2. Aspire to do better (maybe beat a pole to a job) earn minimum wage have wages topped up with tax credits, get housing benefit, live in misery...

This is where we are at..........

I lost my job in 2006 as my role was moved from West London to Northamptonshire. The job I used to do is now done by an Eastern European on half the wages the firm was paying me.

The firm concerned was one of the big four supermarkets (not Tesco). They closed depots in London, Bristol and Kent to consolidate their operation in the centre of England.

Guess what, 6 years on and they have new depots in London, Bristol and Kent almost exclusively manned by eastern Europeans.

The most ridiculous part of Bryant's speech was when he highlighted the potential for huge levels of immigration due to climate change displacement, then said we therefore must tackle climate change to prevent this.

Or you could just close the borders you pratt! We Brits can't solve climate change!, not on our own.

Clegg said something similar, when he claimed that giving foreign aid would improve standards in deprived countries, making people less likely to want to come to the UK.

So what Clegg is saying is, 'to solve the immigration problem, let's just make the rest of the world richer than it is here in the UK, then they won't want to come. I.e., lets make the UK the poorest, most undesirable place to live on Earth.'

Utter idiot.... Just close the borders!

Edited by sleeping dog

But there is an arms length relationship where many employers who employ temp agents and gang masters, but know full well what is really going on.

Yes. I remember a piece on Radio 4 a few years back about this process. Local people that every year used to get temporary work picking fruit suddenly found those jobs were no longer accessible to them as buses were arriving from Eastern Europe.

Remember, pre no borders immigration, all those news stories about fruit unpicked, jobs undone, massive labour shortages across the economy? No, me neither...

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

When migrant labour can be employed to replace resdents ( not a racial issue at all becuse in all likelihood in most cases nowadays the migrant labour is horribly white and roften eplacing black indigenouse labour) it makes even more of a joke of the bankrupt fo england's jobless target. When blanchflower was in the boe he wrote a gushing report on the effect of migrant labour - so yet again this bankrupt and utterly irresponsible organisation is both creator and targeter of its own shit.

The only reason Labour are now talking about it is because their voters are the ones who know it was Labour that did this to them.

They know a lot of those voters are going over to UKIP or refusing to vote.

Its beyond parody that we have to pay billions in benefits to people who cant afford to take those jobs while we let in millions who can live 10 to a house,avoid paying much council tax,etc with shared costs.

The only answer for ordinary people is get out of the EU.That is why big business and government will fight so hard to make sure that never happens.There has been no gain,only a disaster for most workers through the EU and globalisation.Once again only the rent seekers and top few % have gained the spoils.

The left should be fighting as hard as possible to withdraw from the EU,but of course they are not.Without defending workers wages and conditions what are the left for?.

Tesco made its staff at a distribution centre in the Milton Keynes area redundant, then brought in a Polish agency who then staffed the facility with East Europeans.

Since I found out that I no longer spend any money in Tesco and encourage friends and family to go elsewhere.

Every little helps!

The only reason Labour are now talking about it is because their voters are the ones who know it was Labour that did this to them.

They know a lot of those voters are going over to UKIP or refusing to vote.

Its beyond parody that we have to pay billions in benefits to people who cant afford to take those jobs while we let in millions who can live 10 to a house,avoid paying much council tax,etc with shared costs.

The only answer for ordinary people is get out of the EU.That is why big business and government will fight so hard to make sure that never happens.There has been no gain,only a disaster for most workers through the EU and globalisation.Once again only the rent seekers and top few % have gained the spoils.

The left should be fighting as hard as possible to withdraw from the EU,but of course they are not.Without defending workers wages and conditions what are the left for?.

Easy, nothing.

To be honest when you look at some areas - ex-industrial, many northern towns there is simply no reason for anyone (apart from happy recipients of visas/residency to even consider labour as a choice). Voting for a party that has kneed you int he nuts every bit as bad as the conservatives did takes a uniwue type of stupiidity. I suppos ther are some who are on the dole and happy with that but again probably only because the differential between living cost and availble wage jobs is so high there is no other recourse.

Obviously not the right type of unemployed British people.......

2.46million Britons on the dole... but company still goes abroad for workers

http://www.dailymail...ng-Britons.html

But you can't reduce the number of home made unemployed otherwise you might get it below 7% and then Carney would have to consider upping interest rates, which would then bring house prices down so that these same people would actually have a reason to work.

Could you actually make this up?

All these posts just remind me of what I se every day in the hotel industry.

You have all the points that have been raised but also the other issue of training.

Before people had their jobs outsourced from them in the UK if you had for example a role like a low level chef a job where its quite transient you would consider training someone or getting in a newbie. Now its straight on the phone to the recruitment agency who deliver an eastern european within x days don't like him send him back. When you buy a large hotel you better make sure you have enough accommodation to house your imported staff.

I even saw a post on here where Chinese factories are using gangs of workers from even poorer countries as Chinese people want to raise their wages. Ergo this will never stop the argument that x country will become rich and then all will be fine does not work, as there is a nice line of poor nations to the south and east who can be brought into the EU to keep this going for generations.

Listening to Chris Bryant MP, it does appear he/Labour have finally figured out

exactly what they have to say to get your vote but when they get back into power they will just feather their own nest like the other troughers.

Easy, nothing.

To be honest when you look at some areas - ex-industrial, many northern towns there is simply no reason for anyone (apart from happy recipients of visas/residency to even consider labour as a choice). Voting for a party that has kneed you int he nuts every bit as bad as the conservatives did takes a uniwue type of stupiidity. I suppos ther are some who are on the dole and happy with that but again probably only because the differential between living cost and availble wage jobs is so high there is no other recourse.

Sadly the latest YouGov poll has Labour on 41%...

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/category/yougov

So 4 in 10 people have a mental deficiency; no wonder they're unemployable.

TBH most the eastern europeans seem to have gone home around here. They were stacking the shelves under labours watch, but its almost completely 60+ English males doing those jobs now.

zero hour contracts ?