House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

New Boe Governor States Interest Rates Stay Put For Next 4 Years

I heard on LBC radio the other day that the new BOE Governor made a statement about interest rates. They will be kept at their current level for 3-4 years (or it may have been 5 even). Considering the effect of this unusual statement, I thought it would be all over the HPC main forum, but I can't find it.

Is there a thread on it somewhere?

In my rare browse over the main forum I came across this.....

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/11/housing-renting-rising-property-prices

A poorly written article perhaps, but a sign of the times nonetheless.

What puzzles me is why so many priced out people and screwed savers can't create a single voice loud enough to be heard? I wonder what percentage of the population these groups make up, as compared to home owners. Seeing those figures might give an indication of when the scales might tip over, and the screwed become the majority.

Just some Sunday thoughts... :)

What puzzles me is why so many priced out people and screwed savers can't create a single voice loud enough to be heard? I wonder what percentage of the population these groups make up, as compared to home owners. Seeing those figures might give an indication of when the scales might tip over, and the screwed become the majority.

Older people with savings just leave it in the bank and chase around the paltry interest rates every couple of years. They don't really understand inflation so they don't care. The rising house price = economic resurgence mantra has been hammered home for the last 10 years and is now ingrained into their psyche. They will vote Labour at the next election and Labour will carry on all the economic policies the current administration is favoring. And then they will vote Conservative again etc

The main people these economic policies hurt are the young.

But from my experience they are too busy updating their Facebook account to see themselves as the slaves they are.

When lending starts to fall and the money supply contracts is when the real fun starts.