House Price Crash Forum

Let Them Drink Oil

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/11/texas-tragedy-ample-oil-no-water

Beverly McGuire saw the warning signs before the town well went dry: sand in the toilet bowl, the sputter of air in the tap, a pump working overtime to no effect. But it still did not prepare her for the night last month when she turned on the tap and discovered the tiny town where she had made her home for 35 years was out of water.

"The day that we ran out of water I turned on my faucet and nothing was there and at that moment I knew the whole of Barnhart was down the tubes," she said, blinking back tears. "I went: 'dear God help us. That was the first thought that came to mind."

Across the south-west, residents of small communities like Barnhart are confronting the reality that something as basic as running water, as unthinking as turning on a tap, can no longer be taken for granted.

Three years of drought, decades of overuse and now the oil industry's outsize demands on water for fracking are running down reservoirs and underground aquifers. And climate change is making things worse.

Still I'm sure they could use the oil to power pumps to pump water from the sea and remove the salt. Problem sorted. Easy.

HOLA442

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/11/texas-tragedy-ample-oil-no-water

Still I'm sure they could use the oil to power pumps to pump water from the sea and remove the salt. Problem sorted. Easy.

Unbridled capitalism is so rampant in America - and Americans are so brain-washed in believing that it is akin to the Holy Grail - that no one will care what happens to those whom capitalism destroys until it destroys them.

Millions of Americans are homeless but most do not care about it until it happens to them. Ditto the lack of medical cover. So unless NY or Boston or LA or Chicago run dry of water not many Americans will care about some small towns that no one has ever heard of.

There are millions of Americans who care and who protest and who try their best - but out of a population of 300 million such people, even if tens of millions, are in the minority. Others are so dragged down by work and debt and fear of job loss that they don't have it in them to do anything. Unbridled captialism is evil.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA443

Unbridled capitalism is so rampant in America - and Americans are so brain-washed in believing that it is akin to the Holy Grail - that no one will care what happens to those whom capitalism destroys until it destroys them.

Millions of Americans are homeless but most do not care about it until it happens to them. Ditto the lack of medical cover. So unless NY or Boston or LA or Chicago run dry of water not many Americans will care about some small towns that no one has ever heard of.

There are millions of Americans who care and who protest and who try their best - but out of a population of 300 million such people, even if tens of millions, are in the minority. Others are so dragged down by work and debt and fear of job loss that they don't have it in them to do anything. Unbridled captialism is evil.

Free market innit.

Somebody will be along to sell water to them presently.

Although, with my cynical head on, I'm noticing a glut/flood/torrent of water shortage stories lately. Almost like we're being softened up for something.

HOLA444

Free market innit.

Somebody will be along to sell water to them presently.

Although, with my cynical head on, I'm noticing a glut/flood/torrent of water shortage stories lately. Almost like we're being softened up for something.

I read an article a few years ago that the Bush family thought that water would be the next big commodity to make money and had subsequently bought one of the largest water reserves in South America.

Oh, if you google 'bush water south america' there are loads of articles on it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bush+water+south+america&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr

Fracking is the way to do it isn't it - destroy people's water reserves even in countries where they have an abundance of water... and then sell them the water at inflated prices.

HOLA445

I read an article a few years ago that the Bush family thought that water would be the next big commodity to make money and had subsequently bought one of the largest water reserves in South America.

Oh, if you google 'bush water south america' there are loads of articles on it.

https://www.google.c...fox-a&gws_rd=cr

Fracking is the way to do it isn't it - destroy people's water reserves even in countries where they have an abundance of water... and then sell them the water at inflated prices.

That was the plot of "Quantum of Solace" wasn't it? :blink:

Green Planet aka Quantum were buying up rights, governments and pipeline to monopolise water supplies in Bolivia IIRC

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Article here about smartmeters and the real need for them being the upcoming fracking planned for us :-

http://stopsmartmete...st-for-fracking

Bit of a ridiculous website.

Yup we don't need energy or heating or any of that kind of stuff, and if we do I'm sure Russia. Middle East and US will provide us with gas for free

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

.. and of course, had we had an energy policy based on sanity, we'd have completed a fleet of breeder reactors now generating so much electricity that large scale desalination would be practicable, we'd be using electricity for heating and cooking and so we wouldn't even be considering fracking ..

HOLA4412

This from a site pushing WiFi = GurgleGurgleDeath.

It is a good illustration on how opposition to fracking is a scientifically incoherent mess.

Its funny how the beardie weirdie green/ecology types who probably can't afford a house, have teamed up with the middle england Hyacinth Bucket types trying to preserve house prices.

Which is all fine by me as now we know who doesn't need energy, and where to turn the power off when things get tight. We can return most of rural England back to a pre-industrial age. We should demolish all rural housing and return England back to dark, deep woodland as Nature intended.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4413

This from a site pushing WiFi = GurgleGurgleDeath.

It is a good illustration on how opposition to fracking is a scientifically incoherent mess.

There is plenty of science to back up the issues caused by wifi/EMF/microwaves. More and more studies are being completed. The truth is just rather inconvenient.

Personally I won't be letting a smart meter into my house.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4414

There is plenty of science to back up the issues caused by wifi/EMF/microwaves. More and more studies are being completed. The truth is just rather inconvenient.

No, there isn't.

And the only 'inconvenient truth' is that people are heavily invested in the idea and therefore cannot bring themselves to believe that they might be wrong.

HOLA4415

Its funny how the beardie weirdie green/ecology types who probably can't afford a house, have teamed up with the middle england Hyacinth Bucket types trying to preserve house prices.

Which is all fine by me as now we know who doesn't need energy, and where to turn the power off when things get tight. We can return most of rural England back to a pre-industrial age. We should demolish all rural housing and return England back to dark, deep woodland as Nature intended.

The interesting thing it, the ONLY way to achieve this (apart from mass genocide, of which I disapprove), is to shift power generation onto a small number of 'parks' - each containing perhaps 30GW of breeder reactors with all their reprocessing facilities - you might need 5-6 for the whole country - together with vat-grown meat, and 'hi-rise' hydroponic farming - both of which would effectively turn electricity into food without any messy bits.

That would allow most of the countryside to be returned to nature whilst allowing a 'Modern' lifestyle for everyone. As well as solving global warming and all conceivable resource shortages. Obviously you'd still have cities and transport networks, but it's farms that are the real nature-killers.

Naturally, this would leave far more space for housebuilding.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

.. and of course, had we had an energy policy based on sanity, we'd have completed a fleet of breeder reactors now generating so much electricity that large scale desalination would be practicable, we'd be using electricity for heating and cooking and so we wouldn't even be considering fracking ..

That would require rational people to be in politics.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Yup, they look nice and rural but I was in Yorkshire last week and there's lot of monoculture fields.

yes, monoculture death traps for all living forms excluding the monoculture ... there is nothing green about them at all ... not sure why they are part of the green belt around large cities (like M25) and why they have to be protected for any costs ???

HOLA4420

yes, monoculture death traps for all living forms excluding the monoculture ... there is nothing green about them at all ... not sure why they are part of the green belt around large cities (like M25) and why they have to be protected for any costs ???

Especially as you could probably cover them in polytunnels and grow more stuff?