House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Homeplugs / Powerline Adapters

I have a wireless blu-ray player, but when streaming, it sometimes drops out...To get around this, I'm considering getting a set of homeplugs... I keep on hearing that they are better than wifi, but give you the flexibility that ethernet doesn't give you... Anyone use them?

I have a wireless blu-ray player, but when streaming, it sometimes drops out...To get around this, I'm considering getting a set of homeplugs... I keep on hearing that they are better than wifi, but give you the flexibility that ethernet doesn't give you... Anyone use them?

Alternatively could just be a not so good router, what router do you have?

Been using a pair to connect upstairs PC to downstairs router for about a year now, and they are excellent.

Just the cheap Technika brand from Tesco - £39.99 a pair.

As people say, all the benefits of Ethernet, without the wires - makes Mrs XYY happy too...!

If you download stuff, the forty quid is well worth spending - rock-solid connection that will massively out-perform Wi-Fi.

Get some..

XYY

I've used them for both the blu ray player and the BT vision YouView box for around 9 months now. My son uses the third for his PC upstairs. No problems so far... Definitely better than wifi. :)

Alternatively could just be a not so good router, what router do you have?

Standard Sky router...Because the username & password are "hardcoded" into the router, apparently its difficult to get a non-Sky router working on the line...

Poss get these...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/powerline-home-networking/on-networks-pl200-199uks-200-mbps-powerline-adapter-kit-18781472-pdt.html

...I hear that you can put upto 6 plugs on any home network (of varying speeds) and that they work with an extension, but not a power surge one...

I had limited success with homeplugs, kept freezing when streaming movies,

The answer for me was one of these... http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30455-d-link-dap-1522-review-dual-band-draft-11n-for-the-masses . It sits by the TV and connects via ethernet cables to the PVR, TV, and Blu-Ray player and to my dual band router via 5Ghz wifi, although it also works with 2.4Ghz only routers. Excellent bit of kit, took a morning to set up but has never missed a beat since.

Standard Sky router...Because the username & password are "hardcoded" into the router, apparently its difficult to get a non-Sky router working on the line...

Poss get these...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/powerline-home-networking/on-networks-pl200-199uks-200-mbps-powerline-adapter-kit-18781472-pdt.html

...I hear that you can put upto 6 plugs on any home network (of varying speeds) and that they work with an extension, but not a power surge one...

I guess it doesn't have a modern only mode then

(I had problems with virgin modem router and fixed them all by switching to modem only mode and buying wireless cable router to hang of it, been great since)

I've put a lot of these in. My two thoughts are:

1. It all depends on how good your electric circuitry is - new houses with new wiring seem to work fine, old houses with 30 or 50 year old wiring not so good. In fact, often rally bad.

2. Netgear ones I have used have a worrying tendency to get very warm - I would say hot - and have removed them out of worry.

We've supplied Solwise ones to several clients for their homes (more a 'take this and go away' to business clients who ask about their home stuff), and never had any issues. Would definitely take them over WiFi for any static device.

I use two powerline adaptors that came free with a BT broadband connection and they are far better than wifi for streaming

Using TP Link 200MBbit ones here from Amazon, they work brilliantly. It's worth getting the 'pass through' ones with the mains socket on, otherwise they use up a socket and they don't work that well on power extension strips.

When enough people get these, then they will interfere with your neighbours one just like WiFi! :huh:

They are electrically noisy, and the noise spreads up the street!

I used some Homeplug devices for a couple of years, and they worked great. Then the connection started becoming unreliable, and eventually unusable. Replacing the units and checking the house wiring didn't help. I suspect a neighbour installed some similarly noisy electronic gear.

They're great when they work, which is probably most of the time, but they might stop working for no obvious reason, and you probably won't be able to do anything about it.

I used some Homeplug devices for a couple of years, and they worked great. Then the connection started becoming unreliable, and eventually unusable. Replacing the units and checking the house wiring didn't help. I suspect a neighbour installed some similarly noisy electronic gear.

They're great when they work, which is probably most of the time, but they might stop working for no obvious reason, and you probably won't be able to do anything about it.

Pretty much will get like WiFi! I use a program called InSIDDer, to see what wireless connections I can see. Some of them are pretty loud! There may be a similar "homeplug sniffer"! Sometimes that plain old Ethernet cable seems the most sensible solution of all! :blink:

I use them for on demand TV, no issues at all.

I have a 4 of the older 48Mbps homeplugs, they actually work well as a group even for streaming. The only issue I've ever had was interference on an cheap digital TV before the fully switch over occurred. I initially thought it was the signal travelling up the power supply of the TV, but actually the issue was with the TV signal amplifier in the loft - I soon fixed it with a mains filter.

I have a 4 of the older 48Mbps homeplugs, they actually work well as a group even for streaming. The only issue I've ever had was interference on an cheap digital TV before the fully switch over occurred. I initially thought it was the signal travelling up the power supply of the TV, but actually the issue was with the TV signal amplifier in the loft - I soon fixed it with a mains filter.

Amazingly the same people that sell you equipment to get the internet up the mains wiring, still sell filters to get it out! :blink: