House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Renewed Investor

After A Tablet Pc

So I'm looking at getting myself a tablet PC for both work and entertainment. I want to be able to trade my Forex account from it whilst I am out and about and also be able to watch TV Shows, movies etc and check the news. I'm avoiding the iPad as I don't like Apple. I'm thinking that an Android based system is what I need since there is a huge app store, my broker has an android app and the web browsing is supposedly pretty good through the installed browser.

So what good Android tablets are there? I was out looking at the Nexus models earlier and they fit within my price range (up to £200). Anyone here got a Nexus or any other tablet for that matter? What's your thoughts on them? I'm not after anything too fancy, just something that I can monitor my trades from and check the news on. I guess movies etc aren't entirely needed as I carry reading material with me when I'm travelling but it would be nice if I could load up my netflix account for a change.

So I'm looking at getting myself a tablet PC for both work and entertainment. I want to be able to trade my Forex account from it whilst I am out and about and also be able to watch TV Shows, movies etc and check the news. I'm avoiding the iPad as I don't like Apple. I'm thinking that an Android based system is what I need since there is a huge app store, my broker has an android app and the web browsing is supposedly pretty good through the installed browser.

So what good Android tablets are there? I was out looking at the Nexus models earlier and they fit within my price range (up to £200). Anyone here got a Nexus or any other tablet for that matter? What's your thoughts on them? I'm not after anything too fancy, just something that I can monitor my trades from and check the news on. I guess movies etc aren't entirely needed as I carry reading material with me when I'm travelling but it would be nice if I could load up my netflix account for a change.

My Ipad outperforms the wife's android in all respects. If other peoples androids are OK then avoid the Coby like the plague

I've had my original Nexus 7 since it first came out and it's probably one of the few gadgets which has totally lived up to expectations.

My 7 is heading towards a year old, its still my fav and most used bit of tech, I'm glad the 7 came out before the 10", otherwise I would have probably gone for the bigger one , and it would have been the wrong choice, The 7 fits my jacket pockets and is well portable without looking like a dickhead.

A superb bit of kit for the price.

I've had my original Nexus 7 since it first came out and it's probably one of the few gadgets which has totally lived up to expectations.

+1. I don't need one but will purchase the new 10 version when it is released later in the year. Something a little larger to take on holiday but not a laptop to check business docs.

Other than my desktop which I need every day for work my nexus 7 is the only other appliance I use every day.

There should be special forex apps in the store for it anyway.

Edit to add....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.forex.forextrader&hl=en

I understand that the nexus really is that good

Alternatively can get the galaxy tab 7 and acer iconia A1 (last years version, quad core high spec), both decent high ish end, for £150 currently

Me too, very decent piece of kit. I like ipads too, but would find it hard to justify the extra cost having used both.

I'd quite like the new Nexus 7! :blink:

Are android tablets in the realm now, that there is only one dominant accepted choice - the nexus?

Samsung and acer make excellent tablets that are good in different ways, as well as less dominant players like sony and Asus. Chinese anonymous tablets are crp, so is nexus simply the safe bet?

Are android tablets in the realm now, that there is only one dominant accepted choice - the nexus?

Samsung and acer make excellent tablets that are good in different ways, as well as less dominant players like sony and Asus. Chinese anonymous tablets are crp, so is nexus simply the safe bet?

Yes, but not just the safe bet but the best bet.

Yes, but not just the safe bet but the best bet.

Beg to differ, at the very least it's split 2 ways

Young women that I know, see the galaxy tab as a cheap equivalent to an iPad, I believe owing tothe Samsung shell on top of android that reduces the decisions they need to make about setup, for example

Then wait for the 10".

7 is enough. 10 is too much.

The new Sony 10 inch has rave reviews, very technically impressive

Same weight as a 7 inch tablet, supposed to be remarkable, and very thin

The new Sony 10 inch has rave reviews, very technically impressive

Same weight as a 7 inch tablet, supposed to be remarkable, and very thin

Yeah, but for many people 10 inches is simply too big. Hence why the mini ipad destroyed sales of the bigger 10 inch ipad.

You can hold a 7 inch pad comfortably whilst lying in bed but not so a 10 inch one.

My only gripe with the Nexus 7 is the thick bevel around the edge - they need more screen and less bevel. No doubt that will come a few years down the line as will things like USB slots, HDMI outs, etc, etc. At the moment all the makers are with-holding obvious things as they know that people will upgrade every 12 or 24 months.

I am buying the new Nexus 7 2 when it comes to the UK. I will wait a month or two for the price to drop to £200 or below. I have been waiting for it as it has a camera on front and rear.

Yeah, but for many people 10 inches is simply too big. Hence why the mini ipad destroyed sales of the bigger 10 inch ipad.

You can hold a 7 inch pad comfortably whilst lying in bed but not so a 10 inch one.

My only gripe with the Nexus 7 is the thick bevel around the edge - they need more screen and less bevel. No doubt that will come a few years down the line as will things like USB slots, HDMI outs, etc, etc. At the moment all the makers are with-holding obvious things as they know that people will upgrade every 12 or 24 months.

I am buying the new Nexus 7 2 when it comes to the UK. I will wait a month or two for the price to drop to £200 or below. I have been waiting for it as it has a camera on front and rear.

Agreed, got a7 inch myself for the reasons you cite

But choice is commonly a healthy thing

Did the previous nexus 7 not have 2 cameras then?

Agreed, got a7 inch myself for the reasons you cite

But choice is commonly a healthy thing

Did the previous nexus 7 not have 2 cameras then?

No, the current one has only a camera which faces you when you look at the screen - ideal for video conferencing but rubbish for taking a picture as when you turn the lens at someone you have no view-finder.

The new one basically becomes a camera.

I see no one is recommending that people one shell out their hard earned for a Windows RT tablet

What is Uncle Fester going to do ?

That huge pile of unsold MS kit must be visible from space by now.

On edit - At least Asus have stopped adding to it

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/09/tablet-tribulations-asus-dumps-windows-rt-while-nvidia-hopes-for-the-best/

No, the current one has only a camera which faces you when you look at the screen - ideal for video conferencing but rubbish for taking a picture as when you turn the lens at someone you have no view-finder.

The new one basically becomes a camera.

The galaxy tab 2 already does that, although the rest of the nexus 7 spec looks better. They don't do anything original, just what they do they do very very well (Google nexus) much like what apple used to to

I see no one is recommending that people one shell out their hard earned for a Windows RT tablet

What is Uncle Fester going to do ?

That huge pile of unsold MS kit must be visible from space by now.

On edit - At least Asus have stopped adding to it

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/09/tablet-tribulations-asus-dumps-windows-rt-while-nvidia-hopes-for-the-best/

Complete and utter turkey. That Jobs is, well, I'd rather not say what I think about him.

I see they have discounted the Surface now but it is still DOUBLE what it should be.

Complete and utter turkey. That Jobs is, well, I'd rather not say what I think about him.

I see they have discounted the Surface now but it is still DOUBLE what it should be.

Yep, I think they missed the point on tablets

However the new Windows phones seem to be doing well