House Price Crash Forum

Fancy Somewhere Cheap To Live? East Jaywick

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303489/East-Jaywick-Life-seaside-deprived-village-England.html

article-2303489-191036A8000005DC-629_964x637.jpg

Jaywick, the down-at-heel suburb of nearby Clacton, was ranked as the most deprived of all 32,482 small wards in England and Wales. It also has the greatest number of young people not in employment, education or training, with one third claiming Jobseeker's Allowance.

Changes to the benefits and tax system which came in on Monday included a cut in housing benefit payments for working-age social housing tenants whose property is deemed larger than they need, and council tax support payments now being administered locally.

The photographs - by Oli Scarff of Getty Images - were taken as Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith yesterday insisted he would take ‘no bloody lessons’ from those people calling for him to live on £53 a week, saying he had been on the breadline twice.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The beach is actually nice and sandy, far nicer than the festival of pain that is Brighton's 'beach'

And the local climate is favourable compared to most of Britains coast. Only the South coast from Bournemouth to Eastbourne has a better combination of warmth, sunshine and dryness.

Well thats two positive things you can say about it at least.

HOLA447

The beach is actually nice and sandy, far nicer than the festival of pain that is Brighton's 'beach'

And the local climate is favourable compared to most of Britains coast. Only the South coast from Bournemouth to Eastbourne has a better combination of warmth, sunshine and dryness.

Well thats two positive things you can say about it at least.

One of our posties (not from the Clacton area but nearby) went over there to cover a walk one day - never again he said, and he's a Del Boy type character. Dobermans roaming loose, and some right dodgy characters hanging about.

I think some of the country places nearby are quite pricey though in comparison.

and yes the beaches are great and the climate not bad. Prone to get wiped out/or badly flooded with the next big storm surge like in 1953.

HOLA448

When I was in Clacton I went there to have a look.

It was not as bad as those image make out though it is obviously a dump due to the fact the houses are holiday chalets from a bygone era.

I stopped got out and was not murdered and it wasn't intimidating compared to some of the parts of London/North I have been to.

A quick search on rightmove tells me that anything there with bricks is over 150,000 +insane

HOLA449
HOLA4410

2nd photo from the link shows Venger`s house?

:lol: Mines flying as resistance to Help-to-Buy, and refusal to make purchases by withholding consumer spending as much as possible, until removal of all the supports for high house prices.

It does look a bit grim. Don't think landlords moving in on the housing inventory as helped the area.

"Eight years ago Jaywick had the highest rate of outright property ownership in the area but that has gone into reverse," said Stock. Four fifths of the housing stock is rented, with ownership concentrated in the hands of "one or two landlords" who rent out to housing benefit claimants. "The going rate is £450 a month for a two-bedroom house, which these qualify as. Because of their state of deterioration there's no deposit required, so we are attracting people from miles away to live here," he said.Those incomers aren't necessarily what an old community like Jaywick needs.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/mar/29/jaywick-essex-resort-most-deprived

Seems to me jumbo mortgage debt people have taken on in more desirable areas, and authorities pushing HTB2, is going to create a hidden sort of deprivation. Negative equity, and life of servicing big debt, with little money to spend in real economy or money left over to support ones family. Although each individual chooses to either take the debt or not, if it's offered to them. Hopefully fewer will.

HOLA4411

:lol: Mines flying as resistance to Help-to-Buy, and refusal to make purchases by withholding consumer spending as much as possible, until removal of all the supports for high house prices.

It does look a bit grim. Don't think landlords moving in on the housing inventory as helped the area.

http://www.theguardi...t-most-deprived

Seems to me jumbo mortgage debt people have taken on in more desirable areas, and authorities pushing HTB2, is going to create a hidden sort of deprivation. Negative equity, and life of servicing big debt, with little money to spend in real economy or money left over to support ones family. Although each individual chooses to either take the debt or not, if it's offered to them. Hopefully fewer will.

Let`s hope so. I am also cutting consumption as a sort of protest, good job you can get half decent single malts for 20 quid nowadays :lol:

HOLA4412

When I was in Clacton I went there to have a look.

It was not as bad as those image make out though it is obviously a dump due to the fact the houses are holiday chalets from a bygone era.

I stopped got out and was not murdered and it wasn't intimidating compared to some of the parts of London/North I have been to.

A quick search on rightmove tells me that anything there with bricks is over 150,000 +insane

Yes, its seemed odd to me. It wasnt the kind of gangs of efnic yoofs you see in the centre of big cities, but nor the indigenous chavs on minibikes that you might see in northern council estates. Most the locals looked to be failed east end gangsters, 40+ usually, shaven headed, sitting around with a beer and some rotweiler's. Probably wouldnt bother you if you dont bother them.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Four fifths of the housing stock is rented, with ownership concentrated in the hands of "one or two landlords" who rent out to housing benefit claimants.

Well obviously. No one would spend their own money to live here.

It would be interesting to discover who these couple of slumlords are and whether they have 'friends' on the council. Do these places really qualify as habitable dwellings?

It's surprising they even got planning permission in the first place. No foundations, notice.

The Type 'A' Bungalow, 1955

J4025.jpg

The Type 'B' Bungalow, 1955

J4027p.jpg

HOLA4415

I actually ended up spending a weekend in a caravan a few months back in Seawick, which is just to the west of Jaywick, and we happened to walk along the coast to Clacton passing the streets where the photos were taken. It was like a shanty town. Most of the little brick cubes had boarded up windows, half finished abandoned little extensions, and looked mostly deserted. Only one of two looked like anyone actually lived in them.

We assumed they were mostly just abandoned holiday homes, we didn't think people actually lived in them. It really is bleak there.

HOLA4416

I actually ended up spending a weekend in a caravan a few months back in Seawick, which is just to the west of Jaywick, and we happened to walk along the coast to Clacton passing the streets where the photos were taken. It was like a shanty town. Most of the little brick cubes had boarded up windows, half finished abandoned little extensions, and looked mostly deserted. Only one of two looked like anyone actually lived in them.

We assumed they were mostly just abandoned holiday homes, we didn't think people actually lived in them. It really is bleak there.

I think they did propose knocking it all down a few years back, slum clearance style. The locals seem to actually like it how it is though.

HOLA4417

It's not that bad. I know the area well as the Clacton-Walton run is a favourite cycle ride of mine. I'd rather live there than in some of the 'vibrant' parts of London or the former industrial areas of the north. (and bear in mind I'm a middle class snob). At least you've got the beach, the sea, the countryside and the sky close by, and beautiful long walks/cycle rides along the coast with nice areas like Frinton on Sea only a few miles away. It is prone to flooding though I think.

Edited by Austin Allegro

HOLA4418

I think they did propose knocking it all down a few years back, slum clearance style. The locals seem to actually like it how it is though.

I found that there was a regeneration plan drawn up by the East of England Development Agency in the last decade.

The Master Plan is archived here:

http://shewolf.notnet.co.uk/jaywick/regeneration/2006/index.shtml

It appears however that the entire plan was contingent on reducing the flood risk. There was some work carried out in 1999 - 2000 to this end - such as raising the beach - but the sea pretty much washed it away a year later. And the East of England Development Agency is now defunct.