House Price Crash Forum

Gardening Question: Stopping Cats Spraying

Cosmic Apple

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

A gentleman will always wee for a lady who asks nicely!

Does it have to be Alpha male wee to work?

I reckon you have been watching those "German" films! :blink:

A friend of mine (lady) always wants blokes to pee on the compost heap! She reckons men's wee makes it work better! :huh:

HOLA444

Borrow a dog. Our Shepherd bloody hates cats, I have no doubt she would kill one instantly if she ever managed to get hold of one. We stayed with friends who had a significant cat issue, and apparently after 2 nights of the dog being on duty, the cats pissed elsewhere for about 2 months. She very nearly got one, but the moggie managed to scale a 14 foot brick wall just in time. Very funny.

I'd borrow my sisters dog if I could stop him getting out. He's getting on now and probably couldn't catch them, but in his younger days he did catch and kill a few (he lived in the country, not a town, so these were semi wild farm cats).

I'll try the chilly thing, and maybe some scaredy cat...

Might see what the gf's reaction to me pissing in a bottle and leaving it by the toilet for use later is...

HOLA445

I reckon you have been watching those "German" films! :blink:

A friend of mine (lady) always wants blokes to pee on the compost heap! She reckons men's wee makes it work better! :huh:

As kids my brother and I would almost always pee outside, and the plants in our favorite spot were particularly healthy.

HOLA446

What's the explanation if one of the female neighbours dobs you in for flashing?

I was taking a pi$$ in my garden officer, to stop the cats coming in aint gonna cut it I think........

I do it at 2 or 3 in the morning if I am awake around that time. I have a high wall around the garden anyhow. I am more concerned about being heard sprinkling than being seen. But it could easily be a water-sprinkler on a timer anyhow.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Cats normally only spray to mark territory.

Having them neutered when they are young stops their urge to do this in most cases. A male cat which has not been neutered will soon have the home stinking of a smell a bit like rotting pineapples.

Is the cat a stray (e.g. has lived with someone and got lost) or feral (has never lived in a domesticated environment)?

If you had your own cat then one of two things would happen - either the intruder would stop coming, or, there would be fights between them.

As far as I know the "old wives' tales" about "cats don't like..." are nonsense. The one thing they really don't like is being sprayed with water and this will discourage them eventually, but will take persistence.

If the cat is stray or feral and it's a real problem then you can get help to capture it and have it neutered - exactly what we did a year ago when we rescued a stray who had been fighting with our pair. We then had it homed as we weren't able to keep it. Neutering reduces the desire to mark territory.

If someone owns it and it is not neutered then it must be fairly intolerable to live with. Is it perhaps a farm cat?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Is the cat a stray (e.g. has lived with someone and got lost) or feral (has never lived in a domesticated environment)?

If someone owns it and it is not neutered then it must be fairly intolerable to live with. Is it perhaps a farm cat?

Unfortunately I can get no where near the ones that spray now as they know I'm after them.

I think one at least belongs to next door, they are a bit chavvy and probably don't give a shit about the creature, unless I captured it and took it to the RSPCA...

HOLA4413

Seriously, it's worth planting a few Scaredy cat plants. It worked for my mother's garden. The cats don't crap in her bushes any more.

Edit: You can get them for about a quid or two each. A fiver to cover the areas you have problems with is not too much to waste if it doesn't work.

HOLA4414

Seriously, it's worth planting a few Scaredy cat plants. It worked for my mother's garden. The cats don't crap in her bushes any more.

Edit: You can get them for about a quid or two each. A fiver to cover the areas you have problems with is not too much to waste if it doesn't work.

I just did a google on scaredy cat plant. Proper name Coleus canina apparently. In my subsequent travels I found this genius solution...

I have found that just scattering a bag of marbles around keeps away my neighbours cats when the sun hits the marble it looks like a cats eye....cheap and easy any toy shop will have them for around a £1 a bag

what could possibly go wrong?

HOLA4415

Unfortunately I can get no where near the ones that spray now as they know I'm after them.

I think one at least belongs to next door, they are a bit chavvy and probably don't give a shit about the creature, unless I captured it and took it to the RSPCA...

It probably is worth a chat with your neighbours. You might well find that one of them (the cats, I mean) is stray and causes them problems too.

We had to act in our case because the male intruder injured both of our cats quite seriously - it would keep coming every day for food, since it had little choice, and they then ended up fighting as our pair tried to ward it off - but it was bigger than both of them put together.

We borrowed a cage from the RSPCA which has a trap door at one end and a footplate that triggers it, caught the cat, took it to the vets to have it neutered at that stage not knowing whether it belonged to anyone or not. If it had done, we could have been in some difficulty had the owner taken exception which is why we put up posters in the village asking if anyone knew whose cat it was with no response.

We then tried to integrate it, but because of the history it was never going to get along with our pair and so we had it homed - it was a truly stunning cat and very endearing to see it "redomesticate" after years of living wild.

Actually we could have released it, were it not for the fact that it would probably fight with our pair again, and we wanted closure on that. The late neutering would have stopped much of the spraying after a couple of months.

We now have the identical issue with another stray although this one seems to get on with our pair a bit and they don't fight, so we might end up with three cats after all.

And having said all of that, in our case we had to act after the intruder quite literally ripped our male cat a new ****hole, in your case, electric water pistols (the sort that can shoot 30 ft from an upstairs window) and preventative measures (like fencing off a part of the garden) might be more suitable options.

Archived