House Price Crash Forum

Gardening Question: Stopping Cats Spraying

Cosmic Apple

HOLA441

There are 4 spots in my garden, on the shrubs where the neighborhood cats constantly spray, which is leaving dead patches and stinks.

My initial thoughts are a turret mounted high pressure water cannon, but I'm struggling with accuracy on the image processing (target lag).. and distinguishing cats from other wild life/the girlfriend :) (have actually worked on this stuff for other purposes, so should suggestions here fail, I will be looking at implementing this :))

So short of the above, or getting a dog or tiger, are there any methods that work to stop the dam cats spraying?

HOLA442

There are 4 spots in my garden, on the shrubs where the neighborhood cats constantly spray, which is leaving dead patches and stinks.

My initial thoughts are a turret mounted high pressure water cannon, but I'm struggling with accuracy on the image processing (target lag).. and distinguishing cats from other wild life/the girlfriend :) (have actually worked on this stuff for other purposes, so should suggestions here fail, I will be looking at implementing this :))

So short of the above, or getting a dog or tiger, are there any methods that work to stop the dam cats spraying?

A liberal coating of hot chilli powder. Or borrow a neighbour's dog - I no longer have trouble with cats in the garden since I got a dog. Or squeezy lemonade bottles filled with water and squirted at them, or high pressure water pistol, you know, the big neon-coloured sort, which worked well in my mother's garden.

HOLA443

A liberal coating of hot chilli powder. Or borrow a neighbour's dog - I no longer have trouble with cats in the garden since I got a dog. Or squeezy lemonade bottles filled with water and squirted at them, or high pressure water pistol, you know, the big neon-coloured sort, which worked well in my mother's garden.

Where does the chilli go?

Unfortunately the cats that spray know me and are off the instant I open the door, or will not even cross the threshold if I'm in the garden, but they spray when I'm not about :( Can't see next doors Yorkie doing much, some of the toms are twice as big as the little rat.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

You need to mark your territory with the wee of a more dominant species.

In other words, if you are male go out tonight and have a good sprinkle on the areas where the cats go. In fact, it is best to do it on the borders of your garden. They will see that a more dominant animal has taken control of the garden and begin to stay out.

You need to do it several times and then to repeat it regularly. So have a few glasses of water or whatever, leave it till dark and go out into the warm evening, look up at the universe above and have a good wee. Actually, I find it quite satisfying and it has been wonderful doing this at 2 or 3 in the morning during the hot weather with the beautiful star filled sky over-head.

It only works with male urine and not female urine. So if you are a lady you need to ask a male to go and do it for you.

HOLA447

Various methods that I know to have worked at different times and places...

- dispense pain

- citrus smells (orange/ lemon peel)

- turn your garden into a urinal (ah, MT has beaten me to it)

- IR activated ultrasonic gizmos (though they chew batteries and aren't built for a long life)

- pepper works but needs re-applying every time it rains

edit:

In NZ and Japan 1L pop bottles, half filled with water, left standing around seem popular. Personally, I don't think they work and were started off by someone having a laugh

HOLA448

btw

The last time I read through the Amazon reviews of the Megasonic cat repeller I linked to above there was a bit of a war going on between cat lovers and cat not-lovers in One Star Out of Five Land.

There seems to be some suspicion on the part of cat not-lovers that cat people are sneaking onto Amazon and posting spurious one star reviews.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

In other words, if you are male go out tonight and have a good sprinkle on the areas where the cats go. In fact, it is best to do it on the borders of your garden. They will see that a more dominant animal has taken control of the garden and begin to stay out.

You need to do it several times and then to repeat it regularly. So have a few glasses of water or whatever, leave it till dark and go out into the warm evening, look up at the universe above and have a good wee. Actually, I find it quite satisfying and it has been wonderful doing this at 2 or 3 in the morning during the hot weather with the beautiful star filled sky over-head.

It only works with male urine and not female urine. So if you are a lady you need to ask a male to go and do it for you.

Just wee on the cat.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Electric fence around the perimeter was what I eventually resorted to. It worked.

Nazi! :blink:

I went on holiday once, and we put the cat into a cat-hotel, for a week! It was more like cat prison, I think! When we got him back, he pissed on everything! :blink:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Because he was marking his territory.

Yeh, he was! Blokes do that too! Unfortunately, I'm not too different from a cat! :blink:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

What's the explanation if one of the female neighbours dobs you in for flashing?

I was taking a pi$$ in my garden officer, to stop the cats coming in aint gonna cut it I think........

HOLA4420

I pretty much do that every evening, as the bog is upstairs! :o

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Make a visit to your local Zoo and ask for any unwanted lion or big cat poo........spread that amongst your trees and shrubs and see what cat would spray on that competition.... ;)

You now have spoiled your garden! :lol:

;)

Wouldn't want a G&T on a Summer's evening out there! ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Borrow a dog. Our Shepherd bloody hates cats, I have no doubt she would kill one instantly if she ever managed to get hold of one. We stayed with friends who had a significant cat issue, and apparently after 2 nights of the dog being on duty, the cats pissed elsewhere for about 2 months. She very nearly got one, but the moggie managed to scale a 14 foot brick wall just in time. Very funny.

Archived