House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hairlocks

Royal Mail 1st Class Down 4%

Just heard on Radio 4 that the 1st class business post delivered by Royal Mail is down 4%. According to the speaker this moves line line with GDP.

So yet another indicator we are heading for a recession then?

Anyone else have anymore info.

Just heard on Radio 4 that the 1st class business post delivered by Royal Mail is down 4%. According to the speaker this moves line line with GDP.

Perhaps it's moving in line with the growth of the internet.

Guest rigsby II

I just heard on the radio that the price of a first class stamp is going up to 39p within next 4 years.

Why - Because they need the revenue to pay for pension commitments.

I wouldn't believe anything the Royal Mail says, one week they are making millions the next they are looking at bankruptcy.

There's going to be lots of excuses for price increases everywhere because of these blo**dy pension black holes.

It was Allan Leighton, Chairman of Royal Mail, who said that historically GDP and volume of post have been very well correlated. A drop of 4% suppports the other figures that show the economy slowing down sharply. I wonder if volume of post lags or leads GDP. Obviously a good indicator of things to come if it leads.

It was Allan Leighton, Chairman of Royal Mail, who said that historically GDP and volume of post have been very well correlated. A drop of 4% suppports the other figures that show the economy slowing down sharply. I wonder if volume of post lags or leads GDP. Obviously a good indicator of things to come if it leads.

From The Scotsman -

"Mail volumes fell for the first time in 25 years apart from a dip three years ago.

Profitable bulk mail slumped by 7.1 per cent, first class letters fell by 4.2 per cent and second class by 3.8 per cent. "

From The Scotsman -

"Mail volumes fell for the first time in 25 years apart from a dip three years ago.

Profitable bulk mail slumped by 7.1 per cent, first class letters fell by 4.2 per cent and second class by 3.8 per cent. "

that'll be down to Estate Agents having to save money and not post out so many details....

that'll be down to Estate Agents having to save money and not post out so many details....

But what you are forgetting is that much post has moved to private companies that collect it from the bank, sort it to the appropriate delivery office and delivery it directly there prior to the RMail delivering it the final mile or so.

If the banks have moved to final mile delivery (and I know both LLoyds TSB and BT have) that would explain a 4% drop in first class stamp sales.

The drops a suprise to me, I thought it would have been increasing with the Xmas build up from ebay sales & the like.

Anecdotally, from my nearly daily visits to the post office, I'm told by P.O. staff that ebay & online sales have baled out Royal Mail to a major extent. Many sellers are too small to use other mail carriers. I use 2nd class or Parcel where possible as it seem to be little different from 1st & cheaper for buyers.

I seem to remember hearing that Royal Mail were losing their monopoly in some areas in the new year ? Vat's was being added sometime soon as well, because they were given a Vat holiday to kick start the business.

...along similar lines check out this little quote from the telegraph....

A spokesman said there had been a particularly noticeable downturn in letters inviting people to apply for credit cards.

..hhmmmm :huh:

Full Article

Business Post Group warned on profits this/last week some time. Not sure whether it was all costs or whether their volume was down, or because one part of their business was down (say a catalogue retailer).