House Price Crash Forum

Now We Are 63.7M: Uk Had Biggest Population Growth In Europe Over Past Year

HOLA441
HOLA442

I have one already:), got my wipes before and they are gone - though I bought 1400 and we are 4 months old:)

I thought I wouldn't spend much - cue an expensive pump, sterelisor, swimming nappies ... I'm afraid to think...

Swimming, hadn't thought of that, cheers. Got the rest of the stuff.

It's the next £200,000 that'll make your eyes water.

(that excludes fees for Eton obviously as they're optional, unless you're hoping for a front bench Tory career for him)

Ha, yes well as you say it's small beer just now. If they become a politician I'll consider myself a failure.

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA443
Guest eight

Jackson Reece seem the least chemically obnoxious, 75p/pack on kiddicare. They'll have to do now..

Lidl ones are good at 79p/80. Beware though, they all dry out over time, even if kept sealed.

Bables are not so bad but once they reach toddlerhood you can easily blow half a pack on a particularly spectacular pooh explosion.

HOLA444

The UK's population has grown by more than 400,000 to 63.7 million, new official figures show.

The growth of 419,900 in the past year means the UK has had the biggest growth of any country in Europe in the year to 30 June 2013 and it is now the third largest EU nation behind Germany and France, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures.

France's population grew by 319,100 in the past year to 65,480,500 while Germany's population went up by 166,200 to 80,399,300, the ONS said.

As if there's some competition for who is the largest.

Germany and France's land areas are about 1.5 and 2 times that of the UK respectively.

Proportionally their available land area suitable for people to live in (excluding mountainous and remote areas etc) is likely even greater.

Just saying.

HOLA445

They cannot ... - make all benefits stop at 2 kids, will lead to the decrease in population.

Moreover, what people do when they have nothing to do or cannot afford to go out?)

Decrease in population? Sounds good to me, back to decent house prices without building even more crap everywhere, less traffic, a country a bit closer to being able to feed itself, fewer issues about water, gas, and electricity supplies... It's not as if it needs anywhere near the entire population in order to do everything needed to support the entire population so issues with a falling population are entirely divorced from the practical realities and a symptom of a system that's strayed too far from what it's supposed to do. It's just a pity that there's no ethical way of acheiving a big enough fall that there will be any noticable improvement in my lifetime (not that the idiots in charge would try even if there was). About half the current level would be good, France seems to manage nicely with about the same population but twice the land.

HOLA446

And TPTB continue to ignore the huge, big issue that the last thing the UK needs is more people. But they're just looking in short-sighted terms and couldn't give a damn about the plain, big, obvious fact that this country would be a much more pleasant place to live in if it had far fewer people in it. It's downright criminally irresponsible for the government to ignore this issue.

+1

It's obvious the planet (never mind the UK) needs a severe managed reduction in population before resources and land reach critical point. However our debt junked up overlords demand ever more proles/serfs to feed their exponential habits. Growth (of debt) is infinite.

Edited by PopGun

HOLA447

Lidl ones are good at 79p/80. Beware though, they all dry out over time, even if kept sealed.

Bables are not so bad but once they reach toddlerhood you can easily blow half a pack on a particularly spectacular pooh explosion.

OMG you are not actually buying expensive wipes for baby's **** are you? What's wrong with a bit of loo paper then bung 'em in the shower if it is an explosion.

HOLA448

Well the op link is not to the Mail. If it were you would have thought they would be rejoicing? The increased pop' will keep a lid on wage unit costs as well as increasing demand for housing. Ok but with little capital investment the infrastructure will fall to bits. Yes the M25 will be jammed , accident and emergencies full, schools full but think of the house prices!