House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Sutton

Uk Baby Boom

Legions of black and brown babies would give moral encouragement to UKIP?

Precisely. And how predictable of the BBC.

I don't care too much personally, but it would be nice if the true facts were represented.

Or maybe I'm wrong? Maybe all these new babies are indeed snow white....

when Mrs. JFK was in hospital just after giving birth to JFK jnr, she certainly was the 'ethnic minority' (well I suppose being caucasian irish) in the 4 bed ward. Next door was a somali woman who seemed to have about 8 people visiting.

Granted we were in st mary's hospital in manchester, a massive maternity hospital, but gives you a snapshot

Guest eight

when Mrs. JFK was in hospital just after giving birth to JFK jnr, she certainly was the 'ethnic minority' (well I suppose being caucasian irish) in the 4 bed ward. Next door was a somali woman who seemed to have about 8 people visiting.

Granted we were in st mary's hospital in manchester, a massive maternity hospital, but gives you a snapshot

When my daughter was born my wife was the only British mother out of four on the maternity ward. I distinctly remember being torn a new one on this very board for even noticing.

Guest eight

article-1301338-0ABB2739000005DC-834_468x521.jpg

interesting. I guess the 2.9% for Durham and Darlington must all have given birth at the same time as my OH.....

Either that, or the figures are ********. One of those two anyway.

When my daughter was born my wife was the only British mother out of four on the maternity ward. I distinctly remember being torn a new one on this very board for even noticing.

When my children were born my wife WAS the non-British mother on the ward. Do you have a problem with this?

Everyone on the ward got on very well. There were no 'rivers of blood' . Well actually there was a lot of blood and gore but that's childbirth for you.

Guest eight

When my children were born my wife WAS the non-British mother on the ward. Do you have a problem with this?

Everyone on the ward got on very well. There were no 'rivers of blood' . Well actually there was a lot of blood and gore but that's childbirth for you.

Ah, you must live in live in Northumberland!

I wonder how much this is down to Gordon's tax credits revolution? If you don't have kids and are low paid the state doesn't help you much, but as soon as you pop one out it unlocks the door to working family tax credits, better housing benefit...

I wonder how much this is down to Gordon's tax credits revolution? If you don't have kids and are low paid the state doesn't help you much, but as soon as you pop one out it unlocks the door to working family tax credits, better housing benefit...

Fewer responsible people would be able to afford children if they didn't get top-up cash incentives....the irresponsible would still have them anyway.......if you want a society to have to load up with debt as well as having a high cost of living and discourage any kind of short or medium term savings, but without the jobs and wages to support it all.......people would either not borrow and spend or not have children. ;)

Couldn't give a damn what colour the babies are, it's this madness of increasing the population of this country that pisses me off and the fact that not only does no-one seem to be trying to thing of an acceptable way of dealing with it they're too f***ing stupid (or couldn't care less, which isn't any better) that it's even a problem. It really makes my blood boil.

Fewer responsible people would be able to afford children if they didn't get top-up cash incentives....the irresponsible would still have them anyway.......if you want a society to have to load up with debt as well as having a high cost of living and discourage any kind of short or medium term savings, but without the jobs and wages to support it all.......people would either not borrow and spend or not have children. ;)

Unfortunately whilst that sounds good it has the effect of continually propping up the irresponsible, and that's a major problem these days. Whilst many probably won't become responsible even if the support is removed they'll certainly not if they keep getting supported, and it encourages more of the "hey, I don't have to bother any more!" types to move over to that side. In the long run accepting some of the fallout for not propping up the parasites may be the lesser evil.

Unfortunately whilst that sounds good it has the effect of continually propping up the irresponsible, and that's a major problem these days. Whilst many probably won't become responsible even if the support is removed they'll certainly not if they keep getting supported, and it encourages more of the "hey, I don't have to bother any more!" types to move over to that side. In the long run accepting some of the fallout for not propping up the parasites may be the lesser evil.

So you have to ask yourself why people have children instead of looking for a good well paid job to support them.....maybe they think a life of future prosperity it is out of their reach, they do not hold any necessary skills or qualifications, they may have health or learning difficulties. Having children is a way of protecting any little wealth they may have, their children are their future investment.......who is the stronger person? the person with children who can go out to work and help support them in later life and into old age or the person alone, childless, dependant and vulnerable. ;)

So you have to ask yourself why people have children instead of looking for a good well paid job to support them.....maybe they think a life of future prosperity it is out of their reach, they do not hold any necessary skills or qualifications, they may have health or learning difficulties. Having children is a way of protecting any little wealth they may have, their children are their future investment.......who is the stronger person? the person with children who can go out to work and help support them in later life and into old age or the person alone, childless, dependant and vulnerable. ;)

Turning children into commodities to support your own ends, increasing pressure on society as a whole as a result? Not a good thing at all, particularly when we've already got too many people. Anyway "alone and childless" sounds infinitely better than being surrounded by people.

I think those stats for the London area are shocking. I didn't expect them to be so one-sided.

And there you have the changing face of London starkly exposed. It's exponential.

Perhaps they're only trying to fill that spare room so they don't have to move.

I think those stats for the London area are shocking. I didn't expect them to be so one-sided.

And there you have the changing face of London starkly exposed. It's exponential.

I notice they don't give firgures for St Mary's in Paddington, the capital of the Gulf States. I'm sure it would be a low percentage.

Couldn't give a damn what colour the babies are, it's this madness of increasing the population of this country that pisses me off and the fact that not only does no-one seem to be trying to thing of an acceptable way of dealing with it they're too f***ing stupid (or couldn't care less, which isn't any better) that it's even a problem. It really makes my blood boil.

+1(sort of)

As my daughter is coffee-coloured I'm hardly going to worry about that, but I'd like to know how many of the parents of these babies have established careers/jobs and are well able to care for the children.

Turning children into commodities to support your own ends, increasing pressure on society as a whole as a result? Not a good thing at all, particularly when we've already got too many people. Anyway "alone and childless" sounds infinitely better than being surrounded by people.

We do have many people far more than we have been used to, but that is what the policy makers have actively encouraged to help make our country richer...it has put some pressure on those who have been directly affected namely lack of suitable housing, less space, more traffic congestion, fewer jobs that pay a living wage, more jobs where wages and work benefits are being reduced.....things I have noticed that I can't blame on the growing population directly but are there none the less, are pressures on school places, greater numbers of pupils in a class, longer waits to see the doctor and longer waits in A&E, but if anyone doesn't like it they can move ....children are not made for what they can do for you, they should be made for what you can do for them...... all good children/families will if they can hopefully help each other if and when in need.

You say 'alone and childless' sounds better than being surrounded by people.......you won't be saying that if you are sitting in a chair in a care home with other people because there is no one to care for you. ;)

I think the house price bubble deferred millions of pregnancies. Couples who would have happily had them at 25-30 are having them post-35, either because they've finally bought a house or have just decided 'now or never'.

We do have many people far more than we have been used to, but that is what the policy makers have actively encouraged to help make our country richer...it has put some pressure on those who have been directly affected namely lack of suitable housing, less space, more traffic congestion, fewer jobs that pay a living wage, more jobs where wages and work benefits are being reduced.....things I have noticed that I can't blame on the growing population directly but are there none the less, are pressures on school places, greater numbers of pupils in a class, longer waits to see the doctor and longer waits in A&E, but if anyone doesn't like it they can move ....children are not made for what they can do for you, they should be made for what you can do for them...... all good children/families will if they can hopefully help each other if and when in need.

You say 'alone and childless' sounds better than being surrounded by people.......you won't be saying that if you are sitting in a chair in a care home with other people because there is no one to care for you. ;)

All those things are directly caused by more people, and the only way of dealing with them is to either put up or build more crap over a country that's already depressingly overdeveloped (and can't feed its own population as it is). Never being more than a few miles from a busy road or town is really quite depressing, probably not even noticed by most people until they've been somewhere else - and then they think it's just the bonus of being somewhere nice on holiday instead of what most of the country should be like. The "it makes us richer" is both nonsense and short-termist. There's no correlation between a country's population and its wealth (average wealth of individuals, not some pointless number like GDP) that I'm aware of. What's a bit more true is that they're keen to grab the short-term gains of getting more people in but that's long-term complete and utter moronic idiocy of the highest order, especially since it seems to end up needing more and more just to stay still. That's so obviously unsustainable it shouldn't even need spelling out.

What makes you think peoples' children aren't just going to chuck them in a care home anyway?

+1(sort of)

As my daughter is coffee-coloured I'm hardly going to worry about that, but I'd like to know how many of the parents of these babies have established careers/jobs and are well able to care for the children.

That's certainly a big issue, wasteful burdens on everyone else just adding to that burden. At the very least it shouldn't look like a sensible option for anyone too lazy and selfish to bother doing anything for themselves.

All those things are directly caused by more people, and the only way of dealing with them is to either put up or build more crap over a country that's already depressingly overdeveloped (and can't feed its own population as it is). Never being more than a few miles from a busy road or town is really quite depressing, probably not even noticed by most people until they've been somewhere else - and then they think it's just the bonus of being somewhere nice on holiday instead of what most of the country should be like. The "it makes us richer" is both nonsense and short-termist. There's no correlation between a country's population and its wealth (average wealth of individuals, not some pointless number like GDP) that I'm aware of. What's a bit more true is that they're keen to grab the short-term gains of getting more people in but that's long-term complete and utter moronic idiocy of the highest order, especially since it seems to end up needing more and more just to stay still. That's so obviously unsustainable it shouldn't even need spelling out.

What makes you think peoples' children aren't just going to chuck them in a care home anyway?

Living around lots of people does have some benefits...economy of scale for instance meaning investment in transport, fast broadband, mobile phone reception, gas supply or opening a restaurant or other business that requires foot flow....more ready customers with money to spend...less cost to implement for more potential gain from more customers..........having said that we are lucky enough in this country to have some beautiful places where you can have access to fresh open spaces, have a mobile phone signal and fast broadband, where you can drive freely on the roads without forever being in traffic jams, where travelling four miles takes less than ten minutes instead of 40 minutes where you can park without the fear of a ticket, where there are no CCTV cameras, where the nights are silent apart from the sound of the odd owl, and the skies on a clear night are stary and bright.....where you can call the doctor and get an appointment later in the day, where people say hello and good morning when they pass by....different people prefer different things at different times for different reasons, the best thing we can all have is a choice, and try to make the best of the choices we do have.

Adults hopefully will do whatever is best at the time if there ever becomes a time. ;)