House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Britain Is Being Sued For Compo Over The Slave Trade By Caricom

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/10229570/Towards-a-radical-new-theory-of-Anglo-American-slavery-and-vindication-of-free-markets.html

Indeed, it is coming to the boil again. The Caribbean states, CARICOM, are filing a lawsuit against Britain, Spain, France, Holland and Portugal for slavery reparations. Apologies are not enough, says Ralph Gonsalves, premier of Saint Vincent. "We have to have appropriate recompense."

AEP deoesn't say where this lawsuit is being filed but it's clearly going to create huge problems about just how far back you can go in history to claim an injustice.

Should the Celts sue the Italy (Romans) and French (William the Conqueror) for damage done to Britain etc...

There is also the other problem which I'm betting the lawsuit fails to acknowledge and that is the role of Africans themselves in the slave trade as the local rulers where quite happy to sell on slaves to the Europeans. Somehow I doubt CARICOM will sue the central Afican states for their involvement in the slave trade.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/10229570/Towards-a-radical-new-theory-of-Anglo-American-slavery-and-vindication-of-free-markets.html

AEP deoesn't say where this lawsuit is being filed but it's clearly going to create huge problems about just how far back you can go in history to claim an injustice.

Should the Celts sue the Italy (Romans) and French (William the Conqueror) for damage done to Britain etc...

There is also the other problem which I'm betting the lawsuit fails to acknowledge and that is the role of Africans themselves in the slave trade as the local rulers where quite happy to sell on slaves to the Europeans. Somehow I doubt CARICOM will sue the central Afican states for their involvement in the slave trade.

Whatever the plaintiffs feel about those countries, there's little point going after people with no assets.

At the rate Osborne et al are proceeding, CARICOM will have to be subordinate to lawsuits from workfare & zero hours types for similar labour injustices.

Whatever the plaintiffs feel about those countries, there's little point going after people with no assets.

At the rate Osborne et al are proceeding, CARICOM will have to be subordinate to lawsuits from workfare & zero hours types for similar labour injustices.

Isn't central Africa rich in valuable minerals etc? They could rest their claim on future mining rights.

Isn't central Africa rich in valuable minerals etc? They could rest their claim on future mining rights.

It is incredibly rich in minerals, but the Govt's seem adept at making that money disappearing. Probably unlikely to be able to get it, better to play on Western guilt.

No amount of money can make up for what was done to the poor slaves. However even if it could, and the slaves themselves were still around, they should not sue a nation state, in which the British taxpayer will end up paying. If anyone should pay, it should be old money such as the royal family and the aristocrats. Taking money from the descendants of peasant farmers and coal miners is not justice.

Agreed. I also recall that black African slavers sold on the Arab slavers (who seemed to dominate the trade?), and Arabs sold on to European slavers. Captives in African tribal conflicts often ended up in European slave ships. Africans, Arabs and Europeans all sought profit in this disgusting, inhuman trade.

No amount of money can make up for what was done to the poor slaves. However even if it could, and the slaves themselves were still around, they should not sue a nation state, in which the British taxpayer will end up paying. If anyone should pay, it should be old money such as the royal family and the aristocrats. Taking money from the descendants of peasant farmers and coal miners is not justice.

Indeed. Some very prominent people may have slavery money in their family backgound...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323286/Samantha-Cameron-linked-aristocratic-slave-owner-vicar-paid-millions-British-government-following-trades-abolition.html

Dr Nick Draper, from UCL, was one of several academics who spent three years working on the project.

He said that up to 10% of Britons who died in the 18th century had benefited from slavery and that up to 15% of the British elite were involved.

Surely the law cant be retrospective? Or we'd have people suing for their great great great grandad being sent down the mines as a kid, which, under 21st century employment law isnt legal.

We cant even get compo for Japanese POWs...and that was despite there being established human rights mandates and many POWs still being alive!

Nope. You die, your claim dies with you.

If you are Jewish perhaps you can sue the Egyptians for slavery of your ancestors. Take a share in the pyramids as compo.

Also add to that the Iraqis / Syrians (for slavery in Babylon).

If you are Jewish perhaps you can sue the Egyptians for slavery of your ancestors. Take a share in the pyramids as compo.

Also add to that the Iraqis / Syrians (for slavery in Babylon).

I once made that point to a lecturer who was arguing that Britain should give her money for what happened to her ancestors 300 - 400 years ago. Apparently that point is facetious and is without merit and mentioning it makes you a racist.

I also suggested that I would want to sue the French for what happened under William the Conqueror and for what happened under the Romans, again these points apparently don't have merit. I presume because she wouldn't have personally benefited therefore any cut off point in history was at her discretion.

I agree the French have done some damage, but I thought the Romans brought many improvements: roads, beautiful towns and spas, they introduced the sewage system. Not to mention that most footie clubs' mottos are in Latin (Victoria Concordia Crescit, etc).

I once made that point to a lecturer who was arguing that Britain should give her money for what happened to her ancestors 300 - 400 years ago. Apparently that point is facetious and is without merit and mentioning it makes you a racist.

I also suggested that I would want to sue the French for what happened under William the Conqueror and for what happened under the Romans, again these points apparently don't have merit. I presume because she wouldn't have personally benefited therefore any cut off point in history was at her discretion.

Perhaps you should have suggested that any descendants of Carib Indians should sue her as her ancestors stayed as occupiers after their emancipation!

Perhaps you should have suggested that any descendants of Carib Indians should sue her as her ancestors stayed as occupiers after their emancipation!

At the time I wasn't too up on the history of the slave trade. It would be a far more entertaining discussion now!