House Price Crash Forum
jcpricewatcher

Discount On Property Where A Murder Took Place?

This flat is up for sale, and it's going cheap for the area...

£265k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26606772.html

Hope no one buys it without googling the address first!

Interestingly, I wonder how much of a discount someone would need in order to buy it. It seems the typical storyline for a horror movie - People unkowingly buying a haunted house because it was cheap...

How much discount would someone need in order to buy a property with a bad past?....

---------------

f.y.i.....

It's top floor flat of 23 Cranley Gardens...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Nilsen

Killed 12 people before moving here, where he then killed 3 people in the flat.

Storing them in bags in the flat... Only caught by police when neighbours reported a smell.

No mention of that on rightmove or in estate agent literature though...

Doesn't this kind of thing now have to be revealed in the home buyers report or whatever?

For me personally, no amount of discount would be enough for me to live there - should be knocked down IMPO.

There are two cul-de-sacs within a few miles of me where, in the past 10 years, a murder each took place. I can't find out which houses the murders occured in so now both those cul-de-sacs are off my area list. It would be like moving into Brookside Close.

f.y.i.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Nilsen

Storing them in bags in the flat... Only caught by police when neighbours reported a smell.

Jesus Christ, I just read that whilst eating my lunch and I nearly wretched a few times. The bit about how he was discovered is gruesome. Don't read if you haven't got a strong stomach.

So is anyone in the know about the EA's duty to reveal this information?

Edited by Superted187

My general view is that buying a house where someone was murdered is not an issue. People die all over the place, it isn't a big deal.

But that one .... eeew. Every time the dishwasher clogged up, you'd be worried about clearing the drain pipe.

This flat is up for sale, and it's going cheap for the area...

£265k

http://www.rightmove...y-26606772.html

Hope no one buys it without googling the address first!

Interestingly, I wonder how much of a discount someone would need in order to buy it. It seems the typical storyline for a horror movie - People unkowingly buying a haunted house because it was cheap...

How much discount would someone need in order to buy a property with a bad past?....

---------------

f.y.i.....

http://en.wikipedia....i/Dennis_Nilsen

A murder at 23 Cranley Gardens, Muswell Hill you say?

Hopefully this will appear in the google search results.

Every time the dishwasher clogged up, you'd be worried about clearing the drain pipe.

Be a fun call to the landlord though.

"Hello, it's the tenant here, I'm just calling to say that the drainpipe seems to be blocked......again."

http://www.s1homes.com/property-for-sale/2013051709530683.shtml

this is a house I had dreamt of owning for over 30 years

the last owner was Jimmy Saville

I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole now

Why?

Are you afraid you will be possessed by his spirit and start wearing dodgy clothes and offering accommodation to passing teens doing Outward Bound courses?

That place looks great for a hermit, but I doubt if you'd be allowed to build a mini hydro plant to power the house.

The father of a former colleague of mine qualfied as a police officer in Hampshire in the late '50s, got his first job with the Met, moved to London ... and rented the top floor flat of 10 Rillington Place. The road itself had been renamed, and so he had no idea until a few days after moving in, when a neighbour broke the news that he was living in the flat where some of the most notorious murders of the century had taken place (his flat was the floor of the building where Evans and his wife lived). He wondered why the rent was so low, but it didn't bother him. In fact, the reason he eventually moved out was that he got sick and tired colleagues, their friends and relatives wanting to come round to his flat and gawk! The council eventually pulled down the entire row of streets and redeveloped the area, mainly because they were worn-out slums with WWII bomb damage that had never been totally fixed, but partly because of the constant stream of unwelcome sightseers.

In a similar vein, I attended a wedding at the Seventh-day Adventist church next door to 25 Cromwell Street, about a year before the Wests were caught. I still shudder to think what was going on only 10-20 yards from where I was sitting.

Someone will buy it...... Place comes with a history however gruesome so will appeal....

Hope they get their surveyor to check the drains out though!!

It the fact someone toilet backed up that led to his capture in the first place.

574_MWH110450_IMG_04_0001_max_620x414.JPG

If you look closely you can see the implement used to dispose of some of the body parts......:ph34r:

Edited by geezer466

Would it be a worthwhile investment to pay for a contract killing at a place you wanted to buy, especially in London? :lol::blink:

Someone will buy it...... Place comes with a history however gruesome so will appeal....

Hope they get their surveyor to check the drains out though!!

It the fact someone toilet backed up that led to his capture in the first place.

574_MWH110450_IMG_04_0001_max_620x414.JPG

If you look closely you can see the implement used to dispose of some of the body parts......:ph34r:

Three true stories all ( kind of) connected to this.

When I first moved to London in 91 I dossed on a mates floor in crouch end /muswell hill. I'd read about the Nilsen killings and asked him if he knew where the flat was. The answer was straight across the road over the junction and you could see it from his window. Funny thing was I'd been for a walk the night before to smoke a couple of ciggies ( mate was a virulent anti smoker) and I'd pretty much spent ten minutes loitering at the foot of the garden to the flats . Wonder what the neighbours though I was doing ?

A few months later I worked with a guy whose flat mate used to work with Nilsen . Apparently he used to bring in home made curries to share with colleagues ( not sure how much bs that was but the guy who told me wasn't prone to bs himself )

Finally a few years back I lived in Surrey and I knew of a murder in a particular road six months earlier . An EA called me up to describe the bargain house she was selling , I twigged from the huge discount that it was the murder house and I kept fishing for details as to why it was do cheap . Eventually I asked "is it the murder house" you could almost hear here brain churning as she hesitated for three or four seconds before saying 'yes'

Edited by Sir Harold m

Three true stories all ( kind of) connected to this.

When I first moved to London in 91 I dossed on a mates floor in crouch end /muswell hill. I'd read about the Nilsen killings and asked him if he knew where the flat was. The answer was straight across the road over the junction and you could see it from his window. Funny thing was I'd been for a walk the night before to smoke a couple of ciggies ( mate was a virulent anti smoker) and I'd pretty much spent ten minutes loitering at the foot of the garden to the flats . Wonder what the neighbours though I was doing ?

A few months later I worked with a guy whose flat mate used to work with Nilsen . Apparently he used to bring in home made curries to share with colleagues ( not sure how much bs that was but the guy who told me wasn't prone to bs himself )

Finally a few years back I lived in Surrey and I knew of a murder in a particular road six months earlier . An EA called me up to describe the bargain house she was selling , I twigged from the huge discount that it was the murder house and I kept fishing for details as to why it was do cheap . Eventually I asked "is it the murder house" you could almost hear here brain churning as she hesitated for three or four seconds before saying 'yes'

Crouch End... funny place, some friends of mine rented a flat there, a floor above the 'Bishop of Medway' in the mid-80's. He used to get some very odd visitors.

Let me offer some corroboration for this one. Many years ago I was getting my hair cut at a trendy unisex hairdresser in Ealing. The woman in the next chair was telling the hairdresser that she had worked with Nielsen and that he did indeed bring curries into the office. She went on to say that their concern was not that they might contain the sort of meat one wouldn't want to eat but that they may have involved the use of the same pots and utensils as were used to render down his victims.

They never fully identified all the bones and bits that they got out of the drains; it amazes me how hw ever got Shergar up those stairs.

My general view is that buying a house where someone was murdered is not an issue. People die all over the place, it isn't a big deal.

But that one .... eeew. Every time the dishwasher clogged up, you'd be worried about clearing the drain pipe.

I understand to some extent. But I also disagree. It's not the dying that matters, imo. It's the evil that took place there. Like Jimmy Savile's house. I would feel like throwing up if I was in that house. Thinking back through history in London, say, back to Roman times when the Romans occupied London, there must have been hundreds of violent deaths all over. But, for me, violent death and absolute wicked evil are different. :blink:

There's a house less than a hundred yards from mine where a policeman stabbed his wife and son to death and tried to kill his other two children before killing himself. Tragic case.

The house was rented and is still empty two years later. Every cloud etc...

Think of it this way. Every over-valued house in Britain harbours the death of young people's aspiration to a normal adult family life.

So not so bad really.

I live in a row of Victorian terraces, so the houses are all very similar. There was a murder a few doors down (domestic, ex boyfriend with issues) and we bought our house the same year that the murder house was up for sale. I knew about the case because I had a friend in the same road and so didn't even consider looking at the house. In the end it sold for £209k and we paid £217k for ours. Both houses in similar condition (from what I could see on the EA details anyway). House next to ours also sold for £217k the same year so it's surprising that they only got £10k off.

Yes, people die all the time in houses, but when it's at the hands of another there is a rather sinister feel about it, even if it doesn't make any material difference to a house.