House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Apple Announces It Will Offer Cut-Price Chargers To All Its Customers In A Bid To Wipe Out Counterfeits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2385565/Apple-offers-USB-Power-Adaptor-Takeback-Programme-ALL-customers-bid-wipe-counterfeits.html

USB Power Adaptor Takeback Programme cuts price from £15 to £6.51

Takes place from August 16 to October 18 and is limited to one per device

To take up the offer, you will need to provide your product serial number as well as your old fake USB charger

Apple has announced a global programme to replace all third-party and counterfeit USB power adaptors.

The move comes after a Chinese woman was reportedly electrocuted while using a non-Apple charger.

So to challenge sales of counterfeit goods the best method is to reduce the price... Although what do Apple think is going to happen after Oct 18 everyone is going to be happy over paying for chargers again or switch to buying the counterfeit ones?

If you get your iPod repaired in Apple, it will cost you about £60, at least £45 of which is VAT. I wonder if there chargers have the same sort of issue?

This is an issue with counterfeit products that are dangerous. I am all for cheaper products, but if they don't perform correctly or are outright dangerous that is a real problem.

I'm not sure why people are getting worked up about the price. Most of the chargers probably cost a couple of quid to make and there is a markup. If you look at the official chargers from nokia, samsung etc... from the phone shops they all cost £15+ unless you pick them up from Amazon or ebay, but you have no idea if you are just getting a good deal on a legitimate product or a knock off clone that will have issues, in some cases severe and life threatening issues.

its odd to spend loads of money on the device and skimp out on the charger but hey 15 pounds is very steep so it may have a decent profit margin. I see lots of people buy a slim iphone and then slap a thick gelly, plastic thing to protect. Do Apple offer an official protector?

£15 is a total rip for a low capacity charger. Great way to actually create a counterfeit market, by overpricing sundry essentials. Not very sensible. Mate's house nearly burnt down thanks to a duff wallwart whilst on holiday, still a very bad fire and months to sort out.

CE marking and the zealous implementation was just another nail int he coffin of many design/manufacturing houses and left the field wide open for anybody who really didn't give a damn and lived outside european jurisdiction to carry on producing whatever they liked and jsut stick a label on a product.. Once again though the big boys loved regulations - it works for them as any starups and newcomers find it much harder to even contemplate entering the market, let alone doing it. £5 / £6K at the time ish to get a product certified, no thanks if it is a first product with no mass guaranteed sales.

I would view this as cynical marketing ploy if it wasn't for what happened to me on Monday night.

I bought an aftermarket iPhone 5 charger for 6EUR. Used it for quite a few weeks next to the bed.

2AM the other day, the damn thing properly exploded while the missus and I were asleep. :blink:

Left it singed and black and coming apart and almost made us crap the bed. Would have been capacitor failure I think.

Has definitely made me think as I've always been critical of some of the pricing of the official chargers.

First one that I've ever had do this in years of buying them though.

I would view this as cynical marketing ploy if it wasn't for what happened to me on Monday night.

I bought an aftermarket iPhone 5 charger for 6EUR. Used it for quite a few weeks next to the bed.

2AM the other day, the damn thing properly exploded while the missus and I were asleep. :blink:

Left it singed and black and coming apart and almost made us crap the bed. Would have been capacitor failure I think.

Has definitely made me think as I've always been critical of some of the pricing of the official chargers.

First one that I've ever had do this in years of buying them though.

Always turn off charging devices at the wall before leaving your house!

Always turn off charging devices at the wall before leaving your house!

I was in bed! It's not worth a few quid to be woken up like that and have to reset all the trips when half asleep.

£15 is a total rip for a low capacity charger. Great way to actually create a counterfeit market, by overpricing sundry essentials. Not very sensible. Mate's house nearly burnt down thanks to a duff wallwart whilst on holiday, still a very bad fire and months to sort out.

CE marking and the zealous implementation was just another nail int he coffin of many design/manufacturing houses and left the field wide open for anybody who really didn't give a damn and lived outside european jurisdiction to carry on producing whatever they liked and jsut stick a label on a product.. Once again though the big boys loved regulations - it works for them as any starups and newcomers find it much harder to even contemplate entering the market, let alone doing it. £5 / £6K at the time ish to get a product certified, no thanks if it is a first product with no mass guaranteed sales.

Yes, Apple's pricing has created a fertile market for this substandard stuff.

So why not use USB charging like everybody else?

A good reason on its own not to buy Apple.

Exactly I used the PC or netbook to recharge my phone. with near zero risk of fire or explosions!

So why not use USB charging like everybody else?

A good reason on its own not to buy Apple.

A wall wart USB charger can be anything up to 5A (phone chargers are often around 1A, tablet chargers are 2A+), your standard Computer USB slot will if you are lucky supply 900mA but more likely to be closer to 500mA. So if you are using higher current devices or charging is too slow you will be using a dedicated power supply.

5A sounds like a lot of current for a charger. What is the voltage? (as I stare at my tiny phone charger) edited

USB lines should be 5V - so a charger will deliver up to 25W if you find a 5A supply.

Charging via USB ties up a port (of which there are not many on a laptop), causes wear and tear on the connector, and means you have to have the PC on - and if a laptop, that will be powered by a wall wart anyway.

I try to limit wear and tear on connectors on my PC as they are a pain to replace. A USB hub is better, and easily replaced if it fails.

Similarly, I try not to continually unplug/plug external HDDs with USB, to save wear and tear. If the tiny USB connector on a USB drive fails, one has to resort to replacing the interface board or hooking up the SATA connector & power connector on the internal drive to retrieve data, usually damaging the case to get it opened up too.

If I unplug a USB cable to an HDD, I do it at the hub end unless the HDD needs to be transported somewhere, which would make having the USB connector sticking out vulnerable to damage.

Connectors are vulnerable parts of any PC system.

Alhough it may use more power, i leave stuff connected as much as possible; keeping equipment on also reduces the problems caused by thermal cycling, which can also cause failure. In winter I just consider the PC a form of heating.

For dongles, I use a USB extension lead, so the wear and tear is at the end of the lead. If and when that fails, I just replace the lead. Also means I do not have to fumble around at the back of the PC when I change a dongle, memory stick, etc. Such a lead would be handy for charging devices too.

Charging via USB ties up a port (of which there are not many on a laptop), causes wear and tear on the connector, and means you have to have the PC on - and if a laptop, that will be powered by a wall wart anyway.

I try to limit wear and tear on connectors on my PC as they are a pain to replace. A USB hub is better, and easily replaced if it fails.

Similarly, I try not to continually unplug/plug external HDDs with USB, to save wear and tear. If the tiny USB connector on a USB drive fails, one has to resort to replacing the interface board or hooking up the SATA connector & power connector on the internal drive to retrieve data, usually damaging the case to get it opened up too.

If I unplug a USB cable to an HDD, I do it at the hub end unless the HDD needs to be transported somewhere, which would make having the USB connector sticking out vulnerable to damage.

Connectors are vulnerable parts of any PC system.

Alhough it may use more power, i leave stuff connected as much as possible; keeping equipment on also reduces the problems caused by thermal cycling, which can also cause failure. In winter I just consider the PC a form of heating.

For dongles, I use a USB extension lead, so the wear and tear is at the end of the lead. If and when that fails, I just replace the lead. Also means I do not have to fumble around at the back of the PC when I change a dongle, memory stick, etc. Such a lead would be handy for charging devices too.

I jab things into my usb ports on laptop and pc all the time. Sometimes when drunk or I may trip over my headphone wires and rip the lead right out. I've been doing this for YEARS, never mind supporting laptops for years that have even worse done to them.

Never had a problem with my usb ports. You need to lighten up a little.