House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Godfrey Bloom: Stop Giving Aid To 'bongo Bongo Land'

Yorkshire's finest strikes again (and I'm not talking about cricket).

BBC

Guardian

Telegraph

Wail

Some Islamic wack job site for the tinfoil hatters to salivate over....

Gems of wisdom from Grumpy Godfrey:

"How we can possibly be giving a billion pounds a month when we're in this sort of debt to bongo bongo land is completely beyond me. To buy Ray-Ban sunglasses, apartments in Paris, Ferraris and all the rest of it that goes with most of the foreign aid. F18s for Pakistan. We need a new squadron of F18s. Who's got the squadrons? Pakistan, where we send the money."

"You can torture people to death but you jolly well can't give them a full life sentence because that's against their human rights. We can't hang them because we're now a member of the European Union and it's embedded in the treaty of Rome. It's a personal thing but I'd hang the bastards myself … Especially for some of these, especially for the guy who hacked the soldier to death. I do hope they would ask me to throw the rope over the beam because I'd be delighted to do so."

Ironically, the countries to which he objects to the UK sending foreign aid to are precisely the ones where he would be most likely to get the opportunity to throw the rope over the beam. Still, it's good to see that colourful characters haven't been totally eliminated from British politics...

A silly old duffer? Racist? Probably. But canny politics.

If Bloom had simply said, 'We spend far too much on foreign aid considering our vast debts and much of that aid is misappropriated' would anyone be talking about this?

UKIP know phrasing everything in sub-Clarksonesque language gets them in the press and to the ears of their natural constituency. It also allows droning diversity professionals to be interviewed on the BBC to further irritate UKIP-man.

It also allows droning diversity professionals to be interviewed on the BBC to further irritate UKIP-man.

The bit on R4 this morning fit the bill petfectly, with some woman going on about how intent doesn't matter, and it's all about how the offended interpret what you've said that matters.

The bit on R4 this morning fit the bill petfectly, with some woman going on about how intent doesn't matter, and it's all about how the offended interpret what you've said that matters.

This can be true, but it depends what you're doing. I spend about half of every professional conversation trying to make sure that what the other person has heard is what I intended to say. Frustrating, but neccesary.

In this case however, it doesn't really matter. What he said will offend some people, but we all know he's right.

Yorkshire's finest strikes again (and I'm not talking about cricket).

Gems of wisdom from Grumpy Godfrey:

"How we can possibly be giving a billion pounds a month when we're in this sort of debt to bongo bongo land is completely beyond me. To buy Ray-Ban sunglasses, apartments in Paris, Ferraris and all the rest of it that goes with most of the foreign aid. F18s for Pakistan. We need a new squadron of F18s. Who's got the squadrons? Pakistan, where we send the money."

"You can torture people to death but you jolly well can't give them a full life sentence because that's against their human rights. We can't hang them because we're now a member of the European Union and it's embedded in the treaty of Rome. It's a personal thing but I'd hang the bastards myself … Especially for some of these, especially for the guy who hacked the soldier to death. I do hope they would ask me to throw the rope over the beam because I'd be delighted to do so."

Ironically, the countries to which he objects to the UK sending foreign aid to are precisely the ones where he would be most likely to get the opportunity to throw the rope over the beam. Still, it's good to see that colourful characters haven't been totally eliminated from British politics...

Spot on.

Probably right. We know where the poor and destitute live, it would be far more effective and efficient to simply helicopter drop money and supplies direct to them over those areas.

The DfID exists for no reason other than to give a lot of civil servants, both domestic and abroad employment and funds to embezzle.

Charter a plane and toss bank notes out of it...it would actually reach the people on the ground then.

Yes, and what that woman said was deeply offensive to me. In fact, I know that ANYTHING she could ever say or do, or not say or not do would always be supremely offensive to me irrespective of what her intentions are or ever will be. So there.

I also found it pretty irritating (as in, even more today than normal for some reason--they do it all the time) how often Naughtie and Davies kept adding their own adjectives to this and other items to tell us how (presumably objectively) dreadful this or that is. Just tell me the facts, and I'll make my own mind up, thanks.

I better add a 'grr' for good measure.

At least he's offered to apologise to everyone from Bongo Bongo land for any offence caused.

Didn't Um Bongo used to be Bongo Bongo Land before TetraPak?

Maybe he's in Cloud Cuckoo land, am I allowed to say that?

Telegraph blog: To help Africa, buy its products. Don't give money to a foreign aid industry that lines its bosses' pockets

Having grown up in Uganda in the 1970s and 80s, I am highly sceptical about big Western corporate charities. I’ve seen first-hand the gap between what they claim to be doing to save the world, and what they actually achieve.

Through civil war, invasion and famine, a tiny number of outside organisations provided help to ordinary Ugandans; various orders of the Catholic Church, the occasional Anglican, and a handful of small British and American charities, often run on a shoestring round a kitchen table.

Then the big corporate charities decided Uganda would be a great gig. So they roared in, their 4x4s filling the potholed streets of Kampala. These Lords of Poverty – many on large per diems – began to preside over a multimillion-dollar aid industry. But did they actually help Uganda?

Given the amount of money they spent it would be difficult not to have done some good. But an awful lot of aid money was wasted. Many development programmes sank without trace in a sea of dollars and wishful thinking.

Studies looking at the impact of Western aid programmes have shown that there is zero correlation between per capita overseas development assistance and changes in GDP. In other words, all those big Western aid agencies, with their costly executive overheads and per diems have done nothing to develop Africa.

I can honestly say the only charities I give to are animal ones - and then it's in the form of food, not cash (although even then I've heard they a rumour that they can use that for resale!)

I've outrightly told the likes of Children in Need bucket shakers that I'm not all that keen on Wogan anyway.

Foreign aid is there, to help despots to buy British tanks! :blink::huh:

Charities, are mostly bloody useless at getting your donations to the people that need it, unless you count their senior staff in that number! :blink:

A silly old duffer? Racist? Probably. But canny politics.

If Bloom had simply said, 'We spend far too much on foreign aid considering our vast debts and much of that aid is misappropriated' would anyone be talking about this?

UKIP know phrasing everything in sub-Clarksonesque language gets them in the press and to the ears of their natural constituency. It also allows droning diversity professionals to be interviewed on the BBC to further irritate UKIP-man.

Exactly, there is a deep vein to be mined here and they know it.

Late news. Bongolese ambassador Mr Werizme Bakhanda was tonight unavailable for comment.

Edit to add...

Let me tell you all a story, about Fred. Fred is a native of Bongo-Bongo land, (anonymised because I can't be arrsed thinking up a realistic name) and wants to get rich. To this end he has borrowed some money for fertiliser, to get his meagre plot of land growing a bit better.

All goes well on this front, and the harvest is an absolute blinder. "Great" thinks Fred, "I'll sell this lot down the market, pay off the debt, buy more fertiliser and in a few years I'll be set for middling rich". Unbeknownst to Fred, an aid ship has just docked and off-loaded a few thousand tonnes of sub-standard rubbish wheat. The price of Fred's harvest is now approximately the square root of naff all.

Fred's dream of wealth and happiness go up in smoke, as does his hut when he can't pay his debts. Fred is now completely shafted, because of stupid food aid, but on the bright side his countrymen can carry on breeding like demented rabbits, and his government can continue recycling third-hand Cold War military kit in their age-old war with the country next door.

Late news. Bongolese ambassador Mr Werizme Bakhanda was tonight unavailable for comment.

Edit to add...

Let me tell you all a story, about Fred. Fred is a native of Bongo-Bongo land, (anonymised because I can't be arrsed thinking up a realistic name) and wants to get rich. To this end he has borrowed some money for fertiliser, to get his meagre plot of land growing a bit better.

All goes well on this front, and the harvest is an absolute blinder. "Great" thinks Fred, "I'll sell this lot down the market, pay off the debt, buy more fertiliser and in a few years I'll be set for middling rich". Unbeknownst to Fred, an aid ship has just docked and off-loaded a few thousand tonnes of sub-standard rubbish wheat. The price of Fred's harvest is now approximately the square root of naff all.

Fred's dream of wealth and happiness go up in smoke, as does his hut when he can't pay his debts. Fred is now completely shafted, because of stupid food aid, but on the bright side his countrymen can carry on breeding like demented rabbits, and his government can continue recycling third-hand Cold War military kit in their age-old war with the country next door.

I've posted before.. in Europe in the middle ages, there was no foreign aid. This meant that even the most despotic king had to think about keeping the peasants alive, 'cause you can't raise taxes from corpses. You may despise the lower orders, but you can't ignore them.

Whereas your average third world despot can stay in power by flogging off mineral rights and using the money to buy modern military kit for a mercenary army. If the people starve.. then the aid agencies will help, no questions asked, and there will be the chance to profit from them as well.

The dumping above does not just apply to food. Try opening a textile factory in a country where container loads of second hand cast-off clothes arrive on a regular basis, one of the knock-on effects of ultra cheap clothing in the west.

It occurs to me that while Cameron is bleating about getting rid of the "dependency culture" in this country he's quite happy to encourage it elsewhere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2386482/So-right-UKIP-MEP-Godfrey-Blooms-comments-caused-storm--ample-evidence-claims.html

GABON

Ali Bongo, president of the impoverished state, spent £85million on a 48,000 sq ft mansion in the heart of Paris three years ago.

And the Mail lists countries where it's suspect aid has been spent on expensive houses / planes etc...