House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Giordano Bruno

30 Charity Chiefs Paid More Than £100,000

This is one of the reasons why I don't (generally) give to charity.

Same here. I no longer give money to charities with paid employees.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop the troughing, as so many charities get a large portion of their income from governments, these days.

I suspect this is why politicians are so determined to keep the Foreign Aid Budget going.

Lots of their old chums run "charities" which employ themselves, the wife, and the son, daughter, niece etc.

After their own salaries are paid, they set up foreign trip jollies where said neice and son go hiking across Africa wearing their charity branded T-shirts, sponsored by yet more UK people, all to set up a water pump in a village, that would have cost just a few quid to install. Instead it cost us all millions.

Edited by sleeping dog

Or you can do what the Chinese did when there was a scandal with one of their big charity.

They reduced the donation to a few cents RMB (1p will be uk's equivalent).

After their own salaries are paid, they set up foreign trip jollies where said neice and son go hiking across Africa wearing their charity branded T-shirts, sponsored by yet more UK people, all to set up a water pump in a village, that would have cost just a few quid to install. Instead it cost us all millions.

Theroux's book about his overland trip from Egypt to South Africa has a lot of not very complimentary things to say about the Western 'aid workers' who passed him in their expensive SUVs on the way and inflated local prices with their fat salaries.

Theroux's book about his overland trip from Egypt to South Africa has a lot of not very complimentary things to say about the Western 'aid workers' who passed him in their expensive SUVs on the way and inflated local prices with their fat salaries.

Thought sometimes their lavish budget is still insufficient to compete with the commercial types... (UN staffs probably behave just like charities...)

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 |

Skyrocketing demand for hotel rooms in Rangoon is forcing United Nations staff in the city to move out of Traders Hotel, according to a report by Bloomberg News. Around 10 percent of the UN’s 2,000 employees in Burma are still in the landmark hotel, owned by Chinese Malaysian billionaire Robert Kuok, but will have to leave next month when the current lease expires, the report said. “Prices for hotel rooms are skyrocketing in Yangon as limited supply cannot match the soaring demand,” said Aye Win, a UN spokesperson, explaining the reason for the move. Rooms at the Traders in Rangoon start at US $235 a night, compared to $122 for the company’s hotel in Hong Kong and $197 in Singapore.

In case you missed it, crashmonitor linked to a recent Telegraph piece:

Charities may use public donations to plug pension black holes

Amnesty International has warned that charities will have to start using

public donations to fund spiralling pension deficits unless the Government

tackles a looming crisis in the sector.

[...]

David Davison of actuaries Spence & Partners told the Daily Telegraph:

"Pensions is a huge problem for charities and it's having a significant impact.

"I wouldn't be surprised if charities were already having to use some of the

donations from the public for pensions. There is no other alternative."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/10143703/Charities-may-use-public-donations-to-plug-pension-black-holes.html

In case you missed it, crashmonitor linked to a recent Telegraph piece:

To be fair, some donations can be directed at restricted funds which cannot be used in this way.

However, that is right, the 'charities' are now looking for charities from the tax payers.

Quoting from the same telegraph article:

Ros Altmann, Government policy advisor said part of the problem had been caused by charities competing with the public sector for the best staff, and thereby having to offer generous pensions .

:angry:

Edited by easy2012

I suspect this is why politicians are so determined to keep the Foreign Aid Budget going.

Lots of their old chums run "charities" which employ themselves, the wife, and the son, daughter, niece etc.

+1

Skyrocketing demand for hotel rooms in Rangoon is forcing United Nations staff in the city to move out of Traders Hotel, according to a report by Bloomberg News. Around 10 percent of the UN’s 2,000 employees in Burma are still in the landmark hotel, owned by Chinese Malaysian billionaire Robert Kuok, but will have to leave next month when the current lease expires, the report said. “Prices for hotel rooms are skyrocketing in Yangon as limited supply cannot match the soaring demand,” said Aye Win, a UN spokesperson, explaining the reason for the move. Rooms at the Traders in Rangoon start at US $235 a night, compared to $122 for the company’s hotel in Hong Kong and $197 in Singapore.

Why don't UN workers live like the locals wherever they are based? i.e., in shacks in Burma? Is that beneath them? I bet many people in Burma do not earn $235 a year...

Why don't UN workers live like the locals wherever they are based? i.e., in shacks in Burma? Is that beneath them? I bet many people in Burma do not earn $235 a year...

Good God, man. How would you attract the required calibre of candidate without a fat tax-free salary and expensive hotel accommodation?

Janet Convery, ActionAid’s director of communications, said: “Richard Miller’s salary is well below the market rate for a chief executive of a major development charity.”

Market rate? This is the problem- these people have bought into the idea that they should be operating as business's- and as business's their core function is to compete with other charities for funding- so success becomes measured in terms of how much money is brought in.

Actually helping people has become a form of corporate window dressing- part of the marketing strategy that keeps those donations rolling in- but the benchmark for the CEO is not I suspect the success of the aid- it's the total of the donations.

To be fair, some donations can be directed at restricted funds which cannot be used in this way.

However, that is right, the 'charities' are now looking for charities from the tax payers.

Quoting from the same telegraph article:

:angry:

That's an extraordinary quote from Altmann.

Not sure who I loathe more, bankers or peopl who work for big charity. There are plenty of local charities who do great work instead.

Edited by cheeznbreed

No.....I give my time for free to local charities places I can see where the good work is being done.....I don't see it is ethical that so many volunteers give their time and so many people give their earned money and tax money at the same time a few leeches at the top are using that money to feather their own nests with it, fair enough certain people should get a wage but over £100,000 a year they are taking more than the mickey plus all the consultants on mega money.......many would give them advise for free if they needed it I am sure....after all it is a charity. ;)

Good God, man. How would you attract the required calibre of candidate without a fat tax-free salary and expensive hotel accommodation?

Not all good, competent and able people do things only for the money.....the better ones don't, especially when it comes to charity.....have they not considered these people are doing things for the WRONG reasons, and pick other better people? ;)

I once heard a claim that was very believable. There is a famous marine rescue charity that has so much cash coming out of their ears they will constantly buy the best equipment and boat engines. Not completely unreasonable itself, but there is a massive conflict of interest as the old ones are sold at very low mates rates to close acquaintances.

No.....I give my time for free to local charities places I can see where the good work is being done.....I don't see it is ethical that so many volunteers give their time and so many people give their earned money and tax money at the same time a few leeches at the top are using that money to feather their own nests with it, fair enough certain people should get a wage but over £100,000 a year they are taking more than the mickey plus all the consultants on mega money.......many would give them advise for free if they needed it I am sure....after all it is a charity. ;)

The company I work for allow staff two days a year to do charitable work as part of their CSR programme. Ten years ago there were a list of charities where you would just go and do some basic work, painting or cutting back wilderness etc. These days it is only really fund-raising events, because they literally cannot donate people time to any charities in the area without paying the charity too. They just will not take volunteer labour unless the company pays them a significant amount of money to do so.

My son worked for a left wing Charity associated with Housing, the manager had two company cars one for short and one for longer journeys and yes he used Air / Train most times

These so called charities are taking advantage of peoples good will....if only people knew, what is worse innocent people that really need help are suffering because of a few at the top of these charities greed......I am sure more people would donate if they sold these charities as the people working for them were charitable people.....and if they are saying they took a drop in pay lol to work for them they should have stayed working in their old job and done the charity a favour meaning more donated money could then go to good causes... ;)