House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GinAndPlatonic

Chrome Books .. Any Good?

Don't they always have to be connected to the internet?

Yes it seems like that they are not much use offline. So if you do a lot of work offline then pass. Most of the programes are in the cloud (excuse my ignorance with terminology )and so huge servers process all your data and its all stored with them (google?) instead of on your computer..I hear they start up and are ready within a few seconds. Its the speed of these things that appeals and also they cannot be infected with viruses as its the cloud that does all the processing/storing etc.?

Are these things still as much as a decent netbook/low end laptop? If so just get one of those...

Any laptop that takes more than 10 seconds to come out of suspend needs looking at.

As ever, it depends...

If all you do is web surfing, email and light office-related use, then the fact that these things boot quickly, are always up-to-date, and fully backed up is very handy.

If you can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot (and have a decent data plan) then the need for connectivity isn't as much of a problem either.

Printing can be an issue, although cloud printing to a standard PC is fairly easy to set up.

As netbooks don't really exist anymore after being killed off by tablets, the Chomebook's the closest thing. Obviously, ChromeOS is a load of nonsense but you can install a fuller Linux if you want.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

Still Acer and Asus netbooks out there.

Would be my choice if my 2009 vintage Asus running XP ever dies (Its been dropped many times, even when open and still lives. Not bad for £200...)

Skype doesn't work on a Chromebook and no plans to make it available either.

Other IM systems available but not as popular.

Would be my choice if my 2009 vintage Asus running XP ever dies (Its been dropped many times, even when open and still lives. Not bad for £200...)

Asus netbooks were built like tanks. My laptop cost three times as much and isn't as robust.