House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Police - ‘Change Law To Let Us Keep Confiscated Criminal Cash’

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/change-law-to-let-us-keep-cash-1-5922880

South Yorkshire’s chief constable is among police chiefs across the country calling for a change in the law to allow forces to keep more of the money seized from criminals.

David Crompton spoke out as he revealed that, of £2.3 million of assets and cash taken from criminals under the Proceeds of Crime Act last year, South Yorkshire Police was allowed to keep only £495,000.

Mr Crompton said it was ‘not right’ that such a large proportion of the cash went to Government coffers.

He said: “If people want to incentivise taking the assets of criminals, what could be better than stripping a drug dealer of their assets and all of that money coming back to the police to provide a local service?”

Should the police get to keep more of the cash they recover from criminals? It could certainly incentivise them to go after the big criminals.

Should the police get to keep more of the cash they recover from criminals? It could certainly incentivise them to go after the big criminals.

It would incentivise them to cut corners and make things up. The money should be kept for victims of crime.

Sounds like a great idea - I can't see any problems with that ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12248666

.. Apparently, anyone with a safety deposit box is liable to be treated as a criminal should the police decide they are, and must 'prove' to police that they own their own valuable belongings before they can get them back.

Serves the serfs right for daring to have wealth outside of banking system promises to pay.

Banker mentality - the salary is just for showing up, additional incentives are needed if you want me to actually do my job.

Also wouldn't this incentivise the police not to shut down criminal organisations, but to allow them to operate and then cream off some of the proceeds by swooping in occasionally? The police would end up being crime farmers, not crime exterminators.

Its a good idea. Here in London the focus is on arrest numbers. So of course simple cases like begging and drunk & disorderly which the police go for. Meanwhile the squads that go for higher level crime have been disbanded and the drug dealer bosses use money laundering to buy property. No one seems to focus on organised crime anymore.

If police could get the cash it would motivate senior management to get the big boys. It should be their focus at the moment but they shamefully ignore it.

Its a good idea. Here in London the focus is on arrest numbers. So of course simple cases like begging and drunk & disorderly which the police go for. Meanwhile the squads that go for higher level crime have been disbanded and the drug dealer bosses use money laundering to buy property. No one seems to focus on organised crime anymore.

If police could get the cash it would motivate senior management to get the big boys. It should be their focus at the moment but they shamefully ignore it.

Why should senior management need motivation..already on vast salaries and pensions far beyond the average serfs expectations.

Don't think I'd let the police spend it, better to use it to fund local charities/societies/associations.

FTR, I have a vested interest.

http://www.sycf.org.uk/apply_for_a_grant/proceeds_of_crime_fund/

South Yorkshire Police has teamed up with the South Yorkshire Community Foundation for a new fund dedicated to reducing crime levels and improving the area.

'The Proceeds of Crime Fund' has been set up to support local community groups and projects that are tackling important local issues.

South Yorkshire Police confiscate money and assets from people involved in crime through the Proceeds of Crime Act.

Through this groundbreaking new fund, that which has been confiscated will be used to benefit the community.

Priorities

• Diversionary activities for children and young people in areas with higher crime or deprivation.
  • Projects that reduce anti social behaviour and promote confidence in the Police.
  • Support for community organisations in areas of higher crime or deprivation.

The majority of grants are likely to be under £1,500.

No thanks :angry:

The Police dream of having shake down checkpoints where they can confiscate anything over a couple of hundred pounds in cash.

I can imagine it now. Teresa May saying, "why would anyone want to have more than £200 cash on their person. You must be a terrorist. Suspicion of UK banks is a form a domestic extremism."

They'll confiscate your house (if you're lucky enough to own one) if they can prove that you stored the illegal cash in the house.

Those UKBA checkpoints last week are just the beginning of the conditioning required for this kind of behaviour.

Mr Crompton said it was ‘not right’ that such a large proportion of the cash went to Government coffers.

And where do you think your ludicrously generous pension comes from? The magic money tree?

No thanks :angry:

The Police dream of having shake down checkpoints where they can confiscate anything over a couple of hundred pounds in cash.

I can imagine it now. Teresa May saying, "why would anyone want to have more than £200 cash on their person. You must be a terrorist. Suspicion of UK banks is a form a domestic extremism."

They'll confiscate your house (if you're lucky enough to own one) if they can prove that you stored the illegal cash in the house.

Those UKBA checkpoints last week are just the beginning of the conditioning required for this kind of behaviour.

It's a £1,000 and there is strong case law to stop Police asking the Courts to confiscate unless they can prove on the balance of probabilities that it came from criminal activity i.e money laundering.

Part of the problem for the Police is that they only get 18.5% with the CPS also getting 18.5%, from experience of confiscation investigations under POCA it's probably unfair that the CPS get such a big chunk as 95% of the investigation is carried out by the investigator with lawyers only concluding some administrative court duties. As an accredited investigator for a local authority we get back 37%, but we don't use the CPS or indeed our own legal team accept for very minor administration duties such as letter writing to defence solicitors or communication with the Court.

Investigations can be expensive and time consuming and need dedicated and trained investigators to carry out the work, which is expensive. Most of the confiscation incentives recovered are either used to compensate the victims of crime, used to cover the cost of the staff who conduct the investigations, or used in community projects, I'm not so sure what happens to the 50% that goes back into central coffers, but there are checks and balances already in place to ensure that if the confiscating authority retained more of the confiscated amount the local area would benefit.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

Anyone that ever says 'I've got nothing to hide' should immediately have all their possessions confiscated and only returned if they can prove they're theirs.

'I've got nothing to hide' is the refrain of the short-sighted idiot ignorant of history.

Maybe the police commissioners should fire a few of them for not doing their jobs then. I guess that's what they are for after all.

I had 650 quid confiscated under the proceeds of crime act, doesnt need to be much for them to go after it

The crime there seems to be the armed robbery of the state. ;)

Anyone that ever says 'I've got nothing to hide' should immediately have all their possessions confiscated and only returned if they can prove they're theirs.

'I've got nothing to hide' is the refrain of the short-sighted idiot ignorant of history.

I favour a more gradual approach. Start by publishing all of their private data (emails, web browsing history, scans of passports, birth certs, bank account details, tax returns etc) on a public website. If that doesn't work, then confiscate all their clothes and curtains and ban them from buying more.

Banker mentality - the salary is just for showing up, additional incentives are needed if you want me to actually do my job.

Agreed 100% - and sad that more people don't immediately recognise this attitude for what it is.

That said, however, I don't feel uncomfortable wit the idea that the police should be allowed to recoup the cost of their operations in bringing criminals to justice. Then what is left over should be allocated, where applicable, to the victims of said criminals.

Even better, in my view, after covering the costs of bringing said criminal to justice and 'compensating' victims would be to use any residual assets to also pay a proportion of the cost of their incarceration!

Edited by anonguest

The crime there seems to be the armed robbery of the state. ;)

Yep, caught on a relatively minor charge with $1000 (USD) on me that I'd withdrawn for my holiday a few days later, they confiscated it. Would have cost me more than 650 quid to fight the confiscation, they must know what they're doing.

Scumbags

I don't think the Police should get any confiscated money.

Their job is to enforce the law, not profit from it.

If they have a vested interest in siezing money 'on the balance of probability' that it is the proceeds of crime, it is an open invitiation for Police corruption.

If it is the proceeds of crime, it is the property of the victims of the crime, not the Police.

Happens in the USA all the time

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/12/130812fa_fact_stillman

The county’s district attorney, a fifty-seven-year-old woman with feathered Charlie’s Angels hair named Lynda K. Russell, arrived an hour later. Russell, who moonlighted locally as a country singer, told Henderson and Boatright that they had two options. They could face felony charges for “money laundering” and “child endangerment,” in which case they would go to jail and their children would be handed over to foster care. Or they could sign over their cash to the city of Tenaha, and get back on the road. “No criminal charges shall be filed,” a waiver she drafted read, “and our children shall not be turned over to CPS,” or Child Protective Services.

“Where are we?” Boatright remembers thinking. “Is this some kind of foreign country, where they’re selling people’s kids off?

It would incentivise them to cut corners and make things up. The money should be kept for victims of crime.

But of course!

I guess there are some good cops. They are the ones who would not be swayed in doing the job by 'incentive'. But the other cops, the not-so-good ones, are the ones who will be influenced by incentive, as you have written.