House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Passports

We've just booked a holiday. My passport expires six months and three days after we're due to return. AFAIK, passports must have six months left in order to travel, which of course mine will have. Does anyone envisage any issues with having only slightly more than the required six months?

Also, at present I have no specific plans to travel abroad after this next holiday (that's NOT to say I have plans not to, only that I don't have specific plans, and it might be a year or two after this next holiday that I'll go abroad again). Is there any disadvantage to allowing a passport to lapse and re-applying, say, a year or two later when the need arises? Or is it just easier all round if I reapply?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom. :)

We've just booked a holiday. My passport expires six months and three days after we're due to return. AFAIK, passports must have six months left in order to travel, which of course mine will have. Does anyone envisage any issues with having only slightly more than the required six months?

Also, at present I have no specific plans to travel abroad after this next holiday (that's NOT to say I have plans not to, only that I don't have specific plans, and it might be a year or two after this next holiday that I'll go abroad again). Is there any disadvantage to allowing a passport to lapse and re-applying, say, a year or two later when the need arises? Or is it just easier all round if I reapply?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom. :)

depends where you are going. Some countries are fine, some get twitchy.

I think you will be fine. Can't be certain re North Africa but suspect they are more interested in your hard currency. As you are an EU citizen most likely the EU countries will just wave you through.

I would be concerned going to the US though.

It's a cruise. The itinerary includes ports in Spain, Portugal, Morocco and Gibraltar.

AFAIK there's no 6 month rule for EU travellers inside the EU. Other countries enforce a 3 month or 6 month validity from either date of entry or planned date of departure.

Morocco travel advice

Morocco is one of the 6 month from date of entry countires, since I'm guessing that you'll arive some time before the end of your holiday you should be fine.

Note also the comments on getting the passport stamped and on prescription medicines.

AFAIK there's no 6 month rule for EU travellers inside the EU. Other countries enforce a 3 month or 6 month validity from either date of entry or planned date of departure.

Morocco travel advice

Morocco is one of the 6 month from date of entry countires, since I'm guessing that you'll arive some time before the end of your holiday you should be fine.

Note also the comments on getting the passport stamped and on prescription medicines.

Copy of the prescription? I hand my prescription into the pharmacist so what would I have to do - go to tge GP and get some note?

Morocco travel advice

I went to Agadir on a cruise ship 3 years ago and no one even looked at my passport.

In fact other than Maderia all the calls were Canary Islands so outside of the EU. Other than entry and exit through the airport on Tenerife and one boarding the ship never needed passport at all.

Why not just apply for a new passport? You can carry 10 years and 9 months on a passport. Better safe than sorry - probably cheaper to renew now than to get a new one later.(not sure about prices)

Really does depend on the mood of the person waving you through i reckon.

I once walked into the US at a very busy border crossing without even having to take my passport out.

I don't think that's particularly normal procedure though.

Really does depend on the mood of the person waving you through i reckon.

I once walked into the US at a very busy border crossing without even having to take my passport out.

I don't think that's particularly normal procedure though.

I'll wager you weren't walking in from the Mexican side, carrying a big guitar case, and wearing a moustache, with a t-shirt with a Cuban flag on it! :huh:

I'll wager you weren't walking in from the Mexican side, carrying a big guitar case, and wearing a moustache, with a t-shirt with a Cuban flag on it! :huh:

It was in Tijuana :D

It was in Tijuana :D

I lost my bet! :blink: Still I bet it's tight on the Canadian side, they might know French or be very polite! :blink:

Why not just apply for a new passport? You can carry 10 years and 9 months on a passport. Better safe than sorry - probably cheaper to renew now than to get a new one later.(not sure about prices)

This may be the Right Thing To Do.

I was just toying with the idea of using my existing passport for the trip (as this would probably be okay as far as I can tell), then not getting a new one till I needed to. It's the miser in me.

But, as you say, it may be more money to have a 'new' password than to re-new. And it may put me back to a position of having to get my backsides signed by a Justice of the Peace. :o:D

I think you can carry over 9 months validity on a UK passport!

However, yours might be Belgian or something, and the rules might be different!

This may be the Right Thing To Do.

I was just toying with the idea of using my existing passport for the trip (as this would probably be okay as far as I can tell), then not getting a new one till I needed to. It's the miser in me.

But, as you say, it may be more money to have a 'new' password than to re-new. And it may put me back to a position of having to get my backsides signed by a Justice of the Peace. :o:D

Similar position but not quite so tight with deadlines. I decided it was fine and will apply for the new one I get back.

how far we've come since 1914 when there were no passports.

Really?

I've recently been researching the personal papers of an American scientist (1868-1962): these include his (US) passport, issued in 1906. It's a weird document, consisting of about an A2 sized, very thick piece of paper folded elaborately into about the size of one of today's passports. Unfold the whole thing, though, and you need a big desk to lay it out on. I think there was some mutual arrangement whereby British and French citizens didn't need a passport to visit each other's country until around the 1980s (by the same token, US and Canadian citizens could make short visits to the other country with just a driving licence until 9/11), but passports certainly existed.

The main difference is that in his day, a passport was valid for life - you didn't need to renew it every decade. This one has a very large and elaborate visa stamp for Germany issued in April 1919.

As for the OP's query, my inclination would be to renew, and for two reasons. Firstly, applying for a whole new passport is a lot more of a bureaucratic process than renewing an existing one. You've got to get a reference, it takes longer, and I think you now have to attend an interview, which you haven't for a continuous renewal (or at least you didn't in 2009, when I last renewed mine).

Secondly, three days is not a lot of contingency time. Many airlines refuse to convey passengers with less than six months on their passport at all, simply because they can't be bothered to keep track of the entry requirements for every country they fly to. Some have a six-month rule (i.e. they won't let anyone in with less than six months on their passport after their planned departure date), and so the airlines apply it across the board to cover themselves. An airline is fined heavily for bringing someone into a country who is then refused entry, and so they tend to cover themselves. So all it would take is another ash cloud type event, or a strike, delaying your departure for more than three days, and you could be looking at a long and expensive train and/or boat journey home. For that reason alone, I'd be inclined to renew before you go.

Really?

The main difference is that in his day, a passport was valid for life - you didn't need to renew it every decade. This one has a very large and elaborate visa stamp for Germany issued in April 1919.

As for the OP's query, my inclination would be to renew, and for two reasons. Firstly, applying for a whole new passport is a lot more of a bureaucratic process than renewing an existing one. You've got to get a reference, it takes longer, and I think you now have to attend an interview, which you haven't for a continuous renewal (or at least you didn't in 2009, when I last renewed mine).

I would be proud for any HPCers to vouch for me! I am reliable, and need a passport! :o I would like a Serbian one, or maybe from Iran! :(