House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

Protest In London Or Die

the time has come.

the agenda is fair.

the number is low, but enough to get the job done.

the job is this:

we need to go to london and protest about the sheer lack of council proerty available for affordable rent. we should demand more council building takes place to offer us - the taxpayers affordable, secure long term, substantial housing.

then we wont need to buy and the current greed mongers can sell each other their overpriced property as we rent in security everything we could have ever afforded to buy. and why not ?

every generation has the right to council accomadation.

these are our taxes and this is our government. we should denamd change.

forget IRs, forget the halifax, forget even the VIs. demanding council rental building will remove us from the housing cycle. we need to demand this.

we need to organise and volunteer time to attend a one off sharp, but civil protest to downing street and express loudly our concerns and denamds from our taxes. we will get news coverage and also we will get to expose our demands to the other 1 million people priced out and on council waiting lists for houses that never come.

enough is enough.

we dont demand people lose money on their house. we just want secure government rental property. for rental only. no investors, no flippers, no rennovators. just familys and working people paying affordable rents in decent secure housing. screw barrat, screw wimpey. they turn the screws so tight its next to impossible. every time we get close, they raise the bar higher.

well im tired of jumping when half my income goes on tax.

i want you mr brown to start investing in the younger generation of this country and provide real services for the people and not some godforsaken failed economic miracle based on insane levels of public debt.

put your names on the list if you going to go. perhaps in february after christmas. im not organising this. im just putting my own voice to our list.

count me as protest number one.

any takers ?

id appreciate this pinned for the long term if plausable mr webmaster as it will take a long thread to establish this protest.

lets be the first to say NO to mr gordon brown and his plans and demand change NOW.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Would be nice for it to happen, but this government don't care anymore,

and i am not sure it would do any good.

I too am not so sure about the house price crash anymore. people here NW are still buying, but i hope is does happen.

RFD good lyrics, gary moore should do a new version, no phil though

we need to organise and volunteer time to attend a one off sharp, but civil protest to downing street and express loudly our concerns and denamds from our taxes. we will get news coverage and also we will get to expose our demands to the other 1 million people priced out and on council waiting lists for houses that never come.

im not organising this.

Why not be the organiser?

I will put my neck on the line and say that I used to be a political organiser but one of the things that put me off was that everybody had ideas about what needed to be done and then the question would come "So, who's going to do it?" and suddenly everybody would mutter about being terribly busy.

The fact is that not only is membership of Britain's political organisations at a historic low, but also the number of members within those organisations who are actually prepared to do anything active is a far lower percentage than in previous years.

So Fred please don't tell me you're too busy to organise this.

In Huddersfield where I currently live the council have sold the whole of the Brackenhall estate, a fair sized area totalling hundreds of houses, to private development. Last time I looked 90% had been flattened and in their place "Executive" rabbit hutches a snip @ £150K+.

In Halifax the majority of the Abby Park estate has been sold ........ bla bla you get the picture ?

Asking for more council houses = Swimming against the tide.

In Huddersfield where I currently live the council have sold the whole of the Brackenhall estate, a fair sized area totalling hundreds of houses, to private development. Last time I looked 90% had been flattened and in their place "Executive" rabbit hutches a snip @ £150K+.

In Halifax the majority of the Abby Park estate has been sold ........ bla bla you get the picture ?

Asking for more council houses = Swimming against the tide.

Will be there tomorrow (bloody long drive). Haven't seen it all yet. They asking 150K for flats :o

If anyone thinks any government is going to provide adequate council housing then they must be a complete and utter fruitcake.

The whole point of pushing property into private hands is to get another tax burden off central government.

And as for the "we have the right to decent council housing" - what utter garbage. You have responsibilities now not "rights".

RFD - I pay tax and I refuse to pay more so the lazy benefit grabbing scum can have yet more freebies.

"Kill, kill, kill, kill. Kill the poor........." as The Dead Kennedys so profoundly sung.

I think Shelter and other such organisations have been lobbying governments of both Parties on this subject for decades.

Ain't much going to change.

What about people who do the lower paid menial jobs? Surely they are entitled to live somewhere

without the worry of having to move every 6 months because the landlord wants to flip his property?

At least the government could make the tenants get a job or leave the house!

What about people who do the lower paid menial jobs? Surely they are entitled to live somewhere

without the worry of having to move every 6 months because the landlord wants to flip his property?

At least the government could make the tenants get a job or leave the house!

Merely an observation on my part.

I do agree that everyone who works should be able to afford decent housing.

How to pay for the provision has always been the sticking point.

It has been the subject of many academics' and others' reports and discussions etc.

Since the end of WW2 this country, under different Governments, has attempted to "solve the housing crisis".

Never seems there isn't a problem.

As to fault or blame?

The person(s) who can come up with the solution and way to pay would be worthy of sainthood.

im begining not to care. maybe i should mortgage myself to the hilt ?

any ideas. if you cant beat em' join em' and if you cant start a protest here of all places, where can you start one ?

i suppose in some deep seated phsycological way ive tested if the NW market is safe to buy in, and after pressing for a protest and not getting one from the priced out. i now think buying could be safe enough. why i might just go and start a btl through sipps too.

theres no way prices are coming down. everyones either too nimby or what - i dont know.

whatever it is - it isnt very forceful.

weak wristed graph posters.

ah well. back to the same old debates about empty property and sipps debunked for another 12 months,.

mervyn tells boe on recent price rise .05% capital in sydney the monkey timeshare retailers option on the halifax high street yoy -2% falls in sydney.

yyaaaaaaawwwwnnnn....... : (

Edited by right_freds_dead

Perhaps a publicity stunt would be more effective than a protest.

I think the mysterious overnight appearance of a Wendy house shanty town on Horse Guards Parade would hit the headlines.

Should be fun too, and Wendy houses are still fairly affordable.

We could invite our new neighbours Tony and Gordon round for a cup of tea. . . out of really tiny plastic cups.

Also, it could be worth dusting off the old statute books.

Many areas of common land are subject to peculiar old laws that state (something like) if you can erect a hearth and light a fire between sunset and sunrise you are entitled to settle there.

It's likely that the royal parks of London, being so ancient, have similar old laws.

I know, for example, that the penalty for interfering with the pelicans on St James Park is deportation to Australia. Perhaps we could go for a day of mass pelican-molestation and get shipped off to a new life down under.

I know, for example, that the penalty for interfering with the pelicans on St James Park is deportation to Australia. Perhaps we could go for a day of mass pelican-molestation and get shipped off to a new life down under.

:lol::lol:

I might be a conservative (actually an ecoconservative), but I agree with Fred, bring back council houses.

Good luck.

BTW - were'nt housing associations supposed to replace the council housing function?

Don't bother, Fred.

Most of this lot don't want the stigma of council dwelling.

There are ways of providing cheap housing for yourself. It involves civil disobedience, nothing criminal.

They're too soft for it.

Hence the current situation.

I'd rather council houses were given to immigrants who have come here in an attempt to get a better life for their families (and are willing to work) than a lot of the lazy tossers who were born here, failed to take advantage of the benefits this country offers and are happy to spend their entire life sponging off the state! Lizzie Bardsley is not a one off.

In practice very little permanent council housing is given to asylum seekers/new immigrants.

In practice very little permanent council housing is given to asylum seekers/new immigrants.

Care to qualify that with some figures, or is this just your feeling on the subject?

The key word here is permanent - I don't deny a significant number are having their housing costs paid for by the council but that it not the same as getting a permanent council property.

In any case I object far more to paying taxes to fund free council housing for people who were born in this country and are too lazy to get a job than for genuine asylum seekers and immigrants who are prepared to work.

The key word here is permanent - I don't deny a significant number are having their housing costs paid for by the council but that it not the same as getting a permanent council property.

In any case I object far more to paying taxes to fund free council housing for people who were born in this country and are too lazy to get a job than for genuine asylum seekers and immigrants who are prepared to work.

I guess thats a 'no' then.

Figures, no.

Experience, yes.

A street in South London where an elderly relative lives was originally a Council estate, but since Right To Buy is now two thirds owner occupied. This can be seen from doing title enquiries on the Land Register: if a house has a title, it is privately owned, otherwise it remains in possession by the Council.

As Council tenants move out, immigrants are moving in, not from the Commonwealth but people from Eastern Europe and the Middle East. The properties so occupied do not have a Land Registry title, and so are still owned by the Council.

One such family caused problems to their neighbours by burning household waste in their garden. Not wood or paper, but cans, plastic bottles etc. The Council Housing Office was called who confirmed that the family were their tenants.

So here's how it works: an asylum seeker, or person from another EU country comes to the UK and applies to stay. If approved, they stay and are homeless. The Councils and Housing Associations have a legal obligation to house the homeless. So they house them.

I don't think any other country does this, so it must be open to abuse. After all, who wouldn't want to move to a country where you get given a house?

I'd rather council houses were given to immigrants who have come here in an attempt to get a better life for their families (and are willing to work) than a lot of the lazy tossers who were born here, failed to take advantage of the benefits this country offers and are happy to spend their entire life sponging off the state! Lizzie Bardsley is not a one off.

I'm sure they are after getting a better life for themselves. Wouldn't you?

But what do you mean by 'permanent council housing'? The families I know of have built a porch onto their council house. That's pretty well permanent isn't it?

I just object to the assertion that it is only immigrants and asylum seekers who are problem tenants.

If someone is entitled to housing then the rules should be applied equally to all. Councils can't be blamed for the incompetence of the Immigration service.

In any case London has always had and housed immigrants - the previous round of immigrants always end up moaning about the latest immigrants. That is what makes it the best (and most frustrating) city in the world - and is one of the main reasons we got the Olympics!

There should be NO council housing. Why the hell should I subsidise some lazy under achiever to have a roof over their head? If you can't fend for yourself tough sh1t, go live in a tent. Even if you have some stupid job, go get another, or work longer hours. If you can't be bothered then rot. Survival of the fittest