House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sancho Panza

Weight Watchers Shares Fall 19% After Sudden Explosion In Free Aps Hits Demand.

BBC 2/9/13

'Shares in the weight-loss giant Weight Watchers dropped by 19% on Friday after the company warned it was losing customers to free apps and other electronic slimming aids.

It said it expects recruitment to fall throughout the year and to start 2014 with fewer members after what it called a "sudden explosion" in free apps.'

If the obesity numbers drop,then aggregate demand will surely suffer?This could be a toxic mix for overspent Nanny states the world over.

Weigh Watchers is a scam that plays on people's ignorance of what really causes obesity. Many blogger like myself have been writing (what i consider to be) the truth about obesity and calorie counting and it is clear that word is spreading.

The old eat-too-much do-too-little theory of obesity is dying and people are realising weight gain and obesity are metabolic disorders caused by the wrong foods.

Weigh Watchers is a scam that plays on people's ignorance of what really causes obesity. Many blogger like myself have been writing (what i consider to be) the truth about obesity and calorie counting and it is clear that word is spreading.

The old eat-too-much do-too-little theory of obesity is dying and people are realising weight gain and obesity are metabolic disorders caused by the wrong foods.

Weight Watchers produce cakes, chocolate bars and crisps.

Say no more.

lets see how many people that consume a normal amount of calories and do regular exercise each week become obese.

if you want to lose weight, you simply eat less. its not rocket science.

you wont see many obese people eating a light salad for lunch.

Agreed.

lets see how many people that consume a normal amount of calories and do regular exercise each week become obese.

True but that is the harder way to it, and extremely hard to keep to it once the euphoria of losing weight / clothes fitting has gone away. Hence the yo-yo dieters. I know one down >10 stone and now it's all back on because living your life on a diet is very tough.

Personally I'm in the "exercise is all you need" camp, but this does assume that you're not significantly over-eating in the first place as you can't burn it all off.

Lots of lobbying going on from various corners concerning prevention of free apps/content etc etc. The powers that be don't like all the free stuff on places like YouTube or the fact that plenty of people will produce free stuff and just give it away.

No I think LGP is right. People have become metabolically damaged with poor food choices.

Once the damage has occurred its very difficult to correct. Also its not just a matter of fat gain, but the explosion of adipocytes (which is in part a defence against high blood sugar) tissue which cannot simply be dieted away, and can cause ongoing hormonal problems.

Hence why people tend to regain a lot of weight after dieting.

IMO people would be better off eating butter if they were hungry rather than reaching for the crisps, bread, pizza, biscuits and sweets.

No I think LGP is right. People have become metabolically damaged with poor food choices.

Once the damage has occurred its very difficult to correct. Also its not just a matter of fat gain, but the explosion of adipocytes (which is in part a defence against high blood sugar) tissue which cannot simply be dieted away, and can cause ongoing hormonal problems.

Hence why people tend to regain a lot of weight after dieting.

IMO people would be better off eating butter if they were hungry rather than reaching for the crisps, bread, pizza, biscuits and sweets.

thats nonsense and excuses.

if you are yo-yoing you are either still eating too much food for the typical calories you burn each day or not doing enough exercise.

if you go back to the same routine you did before, then its no surprise you end up in the same situation as before.

the key thing to remember is that 1 pound of body fat is 3500 calories. people just need to think of it from a physics point of view to understand how to lose weight.

your typical day to day life will burn x amount of calories each day, and if you gain weight you are either eating too much to match your lifestyle or not burning enough energy to match the typical amount you eat.

if you are yo-yoing you are either still eating too much food for the typical calories you burn each day or not doing enough exercise.

if you go back to the same routine you did before, then its no surprise you end up in the same situation before.

the key thing to remember is that 1 pound of body fat is 3500 calories. people just need to think of it from a physics point of view to understand how to lose weight.

your typical day to day life will burn x amount of calories each day, and you are either eating to much to match your lifestyle or not burning enough energy to match the typical amount you eat.

Eating the wrong types of food alters the hormones in your body which puts you at a great disadvantage in trying to lose weight. The signalling hormones that tell you you're hungry or that you're full get disrupted leading to increased weight gain. These hormones generate powerful urges which are impossible to ignore and therefore people get, and stay, obese.

Gut flora also changes and this can mean that even though you consume exactly the same calories than another person you will gain weight, even with the same levels of exercise. The calories in / calories out model has been shown to be wrong. More and more evidence is supporting this.

I'm pretty sure that the calorific content of food that we see on labels is not the same as the calories that the body absorbs from eating any particular type of food.

And it may be that illnesses or foods could affect that absorbancy.

Warning: absolutely no science behind these statements whatsoever. ;)

Correct. We do not convert the potential calories in food with 100% efficiency.

I'm pretty sure that the calorific content of food that we see on labels is not the same as the calories that the body absorbs from eating any particular type of food.

And it may be that illnesses or foods could affect that absorbancy.

Warning: absolutely no science behind these statements whatsoever. ;)

im sure you can poo out some calories and not have absorbed it but the situation doesnt change. its not like youre going to absorb more calories than the total calorific content of that food. if a cake is 300 calories im not absorbing 400 calories from it.

i dont see many obese people running marathons, and i dont see many obese people who cut food intake and increase exercise and energy usage, and yet maintain their obese state.

if you go back to the same routine you did before, then its no surprise you end up in the same situation as before.

your typical day to day life will burn x amount of calories each day, and if you gain weight you are either eating too much to match your lifestyle or not burning enough energy to match the typical amount you eat.

As far as your body is concerned there is no such thing as a calorie.

Yeah, just ignore biology and psychology.

As far as your body is concerned there is no such thing as a calorie.

A saucepan full of green vegetables might be negative calories as the body uses more energy to digest them, than it gains.

The fate of protein ingested can be completely indeterminable regardless of the quality. It might be used for muscle building, or turned into glucose and burnt for energy, or turned into fat or excreted.

Whilst i do agree that certain types of food can have a positive or negative impact on your health etc.

End of the day it is nearly all down to effort out and calories in.

And i am somebody who is trying to cut out certain foods that after a fair bit of reading do not think are very good for us.

This has nothing to do with weight loss though. I am not remotely interested or motivated by that.

That is kept firmly under control by the 'effort out' part of the equation.

End of the day it is nearly all down to effort out and calories in.

Forget calories and certain expenditures of energy can ruin body composition and promote weight gain.

The business model of WW and others is to keep the clients fat, that way they keep them longer.

The way to lose weight is put your food on smaller plates eat three meals a day and no snacking whatsoever in between...cut out all sugary addictive fizzy drinks and drink tea and water...cut back, or better still stop drinking alcohol....dance, walk and move a lot...... ;)

Yes and drug addicts just need to stop taking the drug and they will be cured. Poor people just need to spend less and earn more and they will be rich. It is so simple!

Don't you get it, modern packaged food is deliberately engineered to be addictive and non-satiating, so people will eat more of it even if they don't want to. Weight watchers play into this by manufacturing and promoting non-satiating addictive engineered foodstuffs.

Eating butter instead of manufactured snacks is indeed the solution. But how many people have the mental strength to resist conventional wisdom and do this?

Forget calories and certain expenditures of energy can ruin body composition and promote weight gain.

The business model of WW and others is to keep the clients fat, that way they keep them longer.

I don't see the point of counting calories myself. Have only done it a few teams out of interest. I eat what my body tells me i need. Works pretty well.

I do agree about companies such as this - not going to get rid off their own jobs are they.