House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

An Orange Easy Scoff

If he can give Aldi and Lidl a run for their money it can only be good news for the consumer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23570343

The founder of Easyjet, Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, is to launch a low-cost grocery business, aimed at undercutting the likes of Aldi and Lidl.

Sir Stelios's Easygroup announced plans to open a pilot store in Croydon, south London, which, if successful, would be rolled out more widely next year.

Hopfully not like his airplane business, lots if hidden costs, and the shop front will be in croydon, but the cold meats isle will be in Birmingham

If he can give Aldi and Lidl a run for their money it can only be good news for the consumer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23570343

Good luck to him, but as a Lidl regular and occasional Aldi shopper I can't really see where he's going to find a competitive edge- they're already very efficiently run, with staff hopping on and off the tills as necessary. TBH I get quite annoyed by the queues sometimes but I put up with it because I love the prices and the quality of their stuff. The only way to undercut them that I can see would be to compromise on the quality of the goods offered.

Still, I do wonder how Lidl and Aldi turn a profit on their rotating non-food offers- when the Euro was weak vs GBP they were frequently very good value; now not so much. Plenty seems to remain unsold after two weeks. What happens to it then? It always amuses me to see half an aisle full of horse riding gear in the Catford store! :D .

Good luck to him, but as a Lidl regular and occasional Aldi shopper I can't really see where he's going to find a competitive edge- they're already very efficiently run, with staff hopping on and off the tills as necessary. TBH I get quite annoyed by the queues sometimes but I put up with it because I love the prices and the quality of their stuff. The only way to undercut them that I can see would be to compromise on the quality of the goods offered.

Still, I do wonder how Lidl and Aldi turn a profit on their rotating non-food offers- when the Euro was weak vs GBP they were frequently very good value; now not so much. Plenty seems to remain unsold after two weeks. What happens to it then? It always amuses me to see half an aisle full of horse riding gear in the Catford store! :D .

Staff, ha, thats so 20th century... :lol: