House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tonytramcar

How Many British Firms Left ?

Not stopped at a Little Chef for years.......

These days on very long journeys I will leave the motorway and find a large supermarket, for the cheaper fuel and value food in their cafe.

Sat Navs make this extremely easy.

Little Chef is dead people don't want to spend exorbitant prices for nothing particularly special.

The local Tesco/Sainsburies/ Morrisons Cafe has a set a price bar for reasonable food that LC cannot not equal and offer cheaper fuel onsite.

The local Tesco/Sainsburies/ Morrisons Cafe has a set a price bar for reasonable food that LC cannot not equal and offer cheaper fuel onsite.

Yeah, Little Chef sucking and becoming outmoded in the past twenty years has a lot to do with the takeover from another corporation. Recently at a small service station I saw pretty much everybody crowd into the Burger King opposite to the Little Chef in the complex.

Most of the places Little Chef took over back in the day were thriving transport cafes, and the first thing they did was to make them lorry-driver-unfriendly. When your business model consists of alienating your existing clientele then it can only ever end in tears before bedtime.

Most of the places Little Chef took over back in the day were thriving transport cafes, and the first thing they did was to make them lorry-driver-unfriendly. When your business model consists of alienating your existing clientele then it can only ever end in tears before bedtime.

How does one make a place "lorry-driver-unfriendly"?

Besides having no lorry parking places, and putting up signs saying "Go away, lorry drivers!!.

I thought Little Chef had gone bust. Haven't seen one in years.

Sort of like a greasy spoon cafe with an Americanised feel to it and distinctly average, dull food. Hard to see where it went wrong ;)

I thought Little Chef had gone bust. Haven't seen one in years.

Sort of like a greasy spoon cafe with an Americanised f eel to it and distinctly average, dull food. Hard to see where it went wrong ;)

A few years ago one Little Chef on the A303 near Popham airfield got a makeover from Hestel Blumelthal. My wife and I had been down to see my ailing grandfather in Somerset and having had an interesting but frustrating weekend (he was into the stage of dementia where he could remember clearly stuff that happened 50 years ago, but couldn't remember whether he'd taken that day's pills), we decided to give it a go on our drive back to London. Ridiculously...as the 303 ain't that busy a road...we had to go a mile past it and come back on ourselves- and then paid about 40 quid for some average fish and a braised Ox cheek. I insisted on finishing with a Jubilee Pancake; the pancake was as rubbery as ever, and the vanilla ice cream and black cherry filling was as good as it ever was when I was 10 years old! :wub:

I can't say I'll be sorry to see them go. But I'd like to see a really efficient operation taking their place, like Wetherspoons- I'm always going to take a coffee and a bacon butty for three quid if I'm stopping for a pee anyway!

Not stopped at a Little Chef for years.......

These days on very long journeys I will leave the motorway and find a large supermarket, for the cheaper fuel and value food in their cafe.

Sat Navs make this extremely easy.

Little Chef is dead people don't want to spend exorbitant prices for nothing particularly special.

I agree...maybe they have plenty of money to waste....LC was dying now it is dead, no amount of investment will bring it back to life.....hey, they even tried to make it look more healthier by taking a few pounds off the waistline of the fat chef....that didn't work.

One idea is to turn them into petrol stations....buy your petrol here and eat for free.....you would still drive away after filling up. ;)

Used to stop in them from time to time as a kid. Seemed to remember the burgers being really big and generous and you'd get a funny little fizzy lolly thing at the end.

Just too much choice around now. Why get a sort of 70s retro experience when there are so many other options along a big A-road?

Used to stop in them from time to time as a kid. Seemed to remember the burgers being really big and generous and you'd get a funny little fizzy lolly thing at the end.

Just too much choice around now. Why get a sort of 70s retro experience when there are so many other options along a big A-road?

Burger bars were a novelty for kids in the 70s...we had a few Wimpy bars, MacDonald only became more widespread late 70s first being opened in 1974 in London......now they are two a penny, take away and fast food restaurants are losing their appeal...greasy, fattening and processed from meat you can never be to sure of what you are getting.....better fresh, healthy, home-made, self-sourced that doesn't make you clothes and hair smell of putrid fat after you have left the premises. ;)

Might simly be a cheap way into grabbing the land for electric car charging stations down the line.

Little Chef is now owned by a Kuwaiti firm.

http://news.sky.com/story/1124387/little-chef-bought-by-kuwaiti-group-for-15m

How many British firms are still have owners in the UK ?. Can't be many left.

I always call them "The Little Shit" as I always go there for a dump and never buy any or their food! :blink:

I always call them "The Little Shit" as I always go there for a dump and never buy any or their food! :blink:

There's a similar expression about a more mainstream restaurant chain, going for a "McShit" ;)

Burger bars were a novelty for kids in the 70s...we had a few Wimpy bars, MacDonald only became more widespread late 70s first being opened in 1974 in London......now they are two a penny, take away and fast food restaurants are losing their appeal...greasy, fattening and processed from meat you can never be to sure of what you are getting.....better fresh, healthy, home-made, self-sourced that doesn't make you clothes and hair smell of putrid fat after you have left the premises. ;)

ah yes, the wimpy bender brunch; my first solo (sans parents) restaurant dining experience as a teenager. i remember it well.

i also remember the first mickey Ds. they seemed dead exotic back then.

I can remember in the late 1970's early 1980's getting into my car and driving from W5 into Shepherds Bush Bdwy to get a Mcdonalds meal on a Sunday night when I couldn't be bothered to cook.

Was the nearest and one of the first to open in London if memory serves me right.