House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Save The High Street By Turning Ailing Shops Into Affordable Homes, Says Planning Minister

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384349/Save-High-Street-turning-ailing-shops-affordable-homes-says-planning-minister.html

Nick Boles said council should concentrate shops in 'prime' locations

£1.2m was given to 12 towns to help high streets but many are struggling

Key recommendations in retail guru Mary Portas's report have been ignored

A relaxation of planning rules could see town centre shops converted into homes, as ministers accept that the thriving high streets of the past are unlikely to return.

Rather than seeking to revive every street of boarded-up shops, planning minister Nick Boles suggested that councils should concentrate retail outlets in 'prime' locations and allow other areas to become residential.

Ah saving the "high street" by destroying it completely. Brilliant plan. Housing the solution to all our economic problems.

Although I think to save the nation we should turn the houses of parliament into social housing as clearly it's building which is a void.

Ah saving the "high street" by destroying it completely. Brilliant plan. Housing the solution to all our economic problems.

Why do we need to save the high street? Times have changed and most of the high street is obsolete these days, we do however have a major housing problem.

Wants to allow farmers to turn farm buildings into "affordable housing" too. Seem pretty sensible idea's to me. We are massively over shopped in this country,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384349/Save-High-Street-turning-ailing-shops-affordable-homes-says-planning-minister.html

Although I think to save the nation we should turn the houses of parliament into social housing as clearly it's building which is a void.

I Think this is a great idea.. This is what they should do where i live,..

The high street isn't dying, it's dead. To me there's a simple solution - replace a proportion of all town centred with parkland. Somewhere like stockton has some prime waterfront that would be a lovely recreational spot as part of a park.

This gives a double-whammy - the remaining shops are busy and the town becomes an attractive place to shop.

What are the occupants of these shops going to do all day? Where are they going to buy provisions? What will be their source of income?

(watch TV, giant out of town tesco and working tax credits are not sensible answers...)

What are the occupants of these shops going to do all day? Where are they going to buy provisions? What will be their source of income?

(watch TV, giant out of town tesco and working tax credits are not sensible answers...)

Go to work,, At a shop ..A job ?

You could re-invigorate town centre's as a village centre, where new occupants shop / work locally. Even creating work/live units with a combination of shop or workshop and living accommodation.

The only problem is that many of our town centre's have become no go zones at night due to binge drinking.

See loads of shops where the space above is largely unused. Imagine if it all became available to rent or buy to live in? Oh dear.

Why do we need to save the high street? Times have changed and most of the high street is obsolete these days, we do however have a major housing problem.

+1. All just NIMBYism in another form. Everything must be 'preserved' because was that way when some old codger grew up.

Personally id rather have no high street rather than some subsidized dossers alley filled with betting shops and kebab dispensarys.

This is a stupid idea, just like the one to remove trams from city centres years ago. A town needs a centre--a hive of activity--not some nebulous suburban residential area like on its outskirts.

This is a stupid idea, just like the one to remove trams from city centres years ago. A town needs a centre--a hive of activity--not some nebulous suburban residential area like on its outskirts.

And then spend millions building a new tram system a several decades later?

Why?

Maybe it's just me, but I like places to have a centre, be it a town or a village. Somewhere that has activity, a meeting place if you will. There you have a bit of history and perhaps some nice architecture rather than just a faceless out-of-town mall to congregate in.

Why?

Because not everyone can (or wants to) go to out of town shopping centres.

Because their "popularity" could largely driven by implicit parking subsidies.

Because re-engineering shopping around the car could be very short-sighted.

Because a town without a centre is just a dormitory.

That said i don't think allowing shops (or offices) to be turned into homes is a bad thing....

Go to most European towns and cities and people of all social classes can be found living in and around the centre in buildings several or many stories high. Shops are seen at street level selling day-to-day goods at fair prices.

The UK followed the yank model of constant sprawl, cloned city centres and total car dependency.

The former makes so much more sense.

Maybe it's just me, but I like places to have a centre, be it a town or a village. Somewhere that has activity, a meeting place if you will. There you have a bit of history and perhaps some nice architecture rather than just a faceless out-of-town mall to congregate in.

Thats why they should turn derelict shops into living accomadation...there will still be shops in the centre

and you too can live in luxury like this:

PlayTimeStill01.jpg

(from "Playtime" -- Hulot)

Well at least the government wouldn't have any problem monitoring what you are getting up to.

The death of the high street stared with councils allowing big out of town stores, since then other factors have accelerated the decline.

And then spend millions building a new tram system a several decades later?

Trams are just as retarded now as they were when they were first removed. They're simply a bus that can't steer.

What is the real aim - to aid a falgging ponzi where it has already failed - increasing high street rents and rates have blighted the business opportunities in these areas, it is jsut that the damage is most seen in those areas where local incomes cannot support the ponzi any more. This si about saving banks, saving their loand on vastly overpriced commerical properties and to restrict supply enough to again raise the rents coming in from the remaining commerical/retail units.

It won't work - it will only price out more in the end and add to the distortions.

What is the real aim - to aid a falgging ponzi where it has already failed - increasing high street rents and rates have blighted the business opportunities in these areas, it is jsut that the damage is most seen in those areas where local incomes cannot support the ponzi any more. This si about saving banks, saving their loand on vastly overpriced commerical properties and to restrict supply enough to again raise the rents coming in from the remaining commerical/retail units.

It won't work - it will only price out more in the end and add to the distortions.

Exactly.....the businesses cant afford to pay the rents and rates, so they think they can off load them onto people as housing.....so how will these new householders afford to pay their rents and council taxes?....what job will they have that will pay enough to cover the costs? ;)

Since it is entirely legal to apply for planning permission for land or property that is not yours, I often consider putting in a "change of use" planning application for the houses of parliament. I can't decide between a secure unit for the criminally insane or a donkey sanctuary.

It works in the sense that it delays the day of reckoning that bit longer.

When I realised the plan was to "double-or-quits" until the system breaks, I've bought my bit of land with a small house to wait it out.