House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Private Sector Rentals At Social Rent Levels

Pretty soon I'm going to have to move back into the private sector to save money, especially with all these above inflation social rent rises!

private.jpg

Then again I have a secure tenancy and accumulating RTB "equity" at 10% a year (though the discount is applied to bubble level prices).

It might be worth paying a premium of social renting, no £50 contract renewals, credit checking plus I actually get repairs done. I can also paint the bathroom sky blue pink or change it entirely. I might even keep a dog or a cat or goldfish and take up smoking!

Waiting for the first private sector two bed house to be available at the single LHA rate which would make the bedroom tax argument look slightly sillier.

Anyway gotta go and "get on with my life" of putting down roots, getting to know the neighbours, having a foothold in the locality, all the kind of things you should expect in a civilised country, but which 'LabourTory' hate so much for non 'homeowners.'

By the way I suspect that RTB discount sales might not end up in the Land Registry stats. I've only found one recorded sale of a flat like mine being sold (for about £28k in 2007/8) which seems low to be.

Needless to say two have come on the market since, that I know of almost double the price. Lack of sales data suggests these perhaps didn't sell and ended up rented instead.

post-8947-0-40790000-1375604921_thumb.jpg

Edited by aSecureTenant

..and I've almost found one (its for professional/working people only).

twobed.jpg

Kirklees single person LHA (one bed self contained) rate is £79.62 per week or £345.00 a month.

post-8947-0-71496100-1375606179_thumb.jpg

Btw, I'm penciling next January in for D'day on the right to buy front. It's likely to take everything I've got and almost all of the wife's savings.

The wife starting a nursing course + me being off sick (until next week!) hasn't really helped.

Still many a slip between cup and lip though.....

Btw, I'm penciling next January in for D'day on the right to buy front. It's likely to take everything I've got and almost all of the wife's savings.

The wife starting a nursing course + me being off sick (until next week!) hasn't really helped.

Still many a slip between cup and lip though.....

I take it there is some sort of formula they come up with on the RTB price. Set in law? There's been previous slack in the system I've read about, although that goes way back.

I still think it's worth 'putting in a lower offer' via a solicitor, for those who want to exercise RTB, rather than rigidly obeying some set Local Authority formula for the RTB price.

(With the RTB set discount "applied to bubble level prices", as aSecureTenant puts it.)

For them to be tempted, it would require some pressure on LA finances. It's still a market isn't it. Here's an offer, please consider it.

I take it there is some sort of formula they come up with on the RTB price. Set in law? There's been previous slack in the system I've read about, although that goes way back.

I still think it's worth 'putting in a lower offer' via a solicitor, for those who want to exercise RTB, rather than rigidly obeying some set Local Authority formula for the RTB price.

(With the RTB set discount "applied to bubble level prices", as aSecureTenant puts it.)

For them to be tempted, it would require some pressure on LA finances. It's still a market isn't it. Here's an offer, please consider it.

All I know is that council themselves will offer tenants a price (god knows how) but if the price is too high then the district valuer will offer a price based on the local situation. A HPC member named 'suggs' asked the district valuer for a price and saved himself a good few thousand.

All I know is that council themselves will offer tenants a price (god knows how) but if the price is too high then the district valuer will offer a price based on the local situation. A HPC member named 'suggs' asked the district valuer for a price and saved himself a good few thousand.

Flat similar to mine has come on the market. Came on a few weeks ago at £65k, and has already been reduced to £63,995. I suspect the owner will play the joker and end up letting it out.

So it would be interesting to know what the District Valuer would make of the price, though I am still three years away from the 50% discount.