House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Smart Tv Set Top Box That Includes Itv Player Please :)

SMART tv set top box that includes ITV player please :)

can anyone recommend one or at least identify one that isn't a tacky unreliable unbranded android box

can anyone recommend one or at least identify one that isn't a tacky unreliable unbranded android box

what you want is an Android TV Box, because it can run XBMC.

with XBMC can stream almost any TV programme, all the latest films, and even live sports, all for free.

I believe he wants a set top box not a TV. What sort of budget are we looking at?

yes

£100

(thanks :) )

YouView?

Or If you're on virgin: Tivo?

how about the google chromecast ?

dead cheapo

open up you smartphone browser and go to catchup TV

edit linky

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-23514400

ahh

my telly has the older dvi input, which I believe is digital picture but no sound

and there's no separate audio output from the google stick is there??

grrr, maybe a new telly is easier!

(edit - could use chromecast via HDMI to SCART adapter, but added complexity makes me think i could expect problems)

there are reports that ITV player is really really flaky on samsung SMART receivers of various kinds, and most of them do not have composite output to boot - ouch

how about the google chromecast ?

dead cheapo

open up you smartphone browser and go to catchup TV

edit linky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23514400

This is poor strategy from google imo. Some of the features link to the Chrome browser. However one if the issues with android is lots of old versions (also a strength i guess) out there that do not have chrome. Manufacturers and carriers are keen to force purchase to the new models which carry the newer operating systems while restricting older models (even if capable) to older operating systems

Oddly enough I was asking this question on another forum recently.

Our TV has YouTube, Netflix, BBC iPlayer. It doesn't have ITV Player, 4oD or Channel 5 on demand.

Humax box has the same stuff.

The YouView box appears to "do it all", but it's £253 on Amazon. That price can only be because it's to subsidise ISPs giving it away with broadband connections (shite like BT and Talk Talk). And even if we had ADSL it wouldn't be quick enough to stream TV anyway.

Thinking back to my "audio setup" thread, it seems to be another emergent area where nobody has really worked this out yet. (Though in that case, there is an answer)

And the reason I wanted ITV Player was to be able to see the new Poirot episode "Elephants can remember" that I missed a month ago. Yet, looking on the website, that programme isn't on there anyway, free or paid-for. I'd pay to watch it, but I can't. I could however watch an illegal upload of it on YouTube if I could be arsed to plug the laptop into the TV and navigate through the 9 parts it's split into which are probably all in SD only.

Is the conclusion that the Samsung box can do "the full range" as claimed including ITV? As even though I said I'd never buy anything made by Samsung ever again, I might be tempted.