House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Selling At The Moment?

Timak

HOLA441

An elderly relative has had to go into care (£1k a week!) so the house has to be sold.

It is a 1930s semi, 3 bedrooms but needs £30-40k spending on it to make it into a modern house.

It went onto the market yesterday for "offers in the region of" £350k.

Within an hour of it being on the market we had 4 viewings lined up, by this morning we have roughly 10 interested parties. It hasn't even reached Rightmove yet.

In Cambridge.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

An elderly relative has had to go into care (£1k a week!) so the house has to be sold.

It is a 1930s semi, 3 bedrooms but needs £30-40k spending on it to make it into a modern house.

Within an hour of it being on the market we had 4 viewings lined up, by this morning we have roughly 10 interested parties. It hasn't even reached Rightmove yet.

In Cambridge.

....new stuff on the market in certain places will get viewings....if it is overpriced it won't sell.....by the time it reaches rightmove those looking for the good deals would have passed it by, the best new stuff is sold before it is advertised widely....... ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Snapped up eh :rolleyes:.

Unfortunately yes and only 1 of the properties I've considered buying over the last 6 months has come back on the market. I don't know where people get the money but I'm earning a decent wage and may consider looking around Surrey or Hertfordshire :(

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Area: South West and East London

Not sure about flats in South West and East London but the few houses (3 bed, garden, large living space are my criteria) that come onto the market are getting snapped up within a week.

Lucky not everyone wants to live there then. ;)

HOLA4411

....new stuff on the market in certain places will get viewings....if it is overpriced it won't sell.....by the time it reaches rightmove those looking for the good deals would have passed it by, the best new stuff is sold before it is advertised widely....... ;)

+1. I have seen a number of houses sit on Rightmove for years. A couple eventually became rentals. Essentially at the price demand is near zero.

HOLA4412

350 is the top end of what many FTB professionals can finance right now - especially if one half isn't working.

So they're all over these 3 bed / tiny garden properties which they'll squeeze the family in to (with a trampoline on concrete round the back) - whilst boomers down the road rattle around in the 4/5 bed with big garden properties that would have been family homes traditionally.

We made an offer at -15% on a 4 bed a boomer couple were selling 2.5 years ago - it's still on the market at the same price right now. They've also got a holiday home in Canada where they go there for 6 months of the year.

Edited by slacker

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Blimey this is post13 on this thread and no one has yet admitted to having "personally" sold a property :blink:

Edit - post 14 :lol:

Last property I sold was in 2009 so I hardly think its relevant :rolleyes:

Not surprised the OP had a lot of interest. Rightmove is just full of overpriced tat.

I'm afraid all the decent properties are probably all let out, and part of some rentiers portfolio. That 1988 Housing Act (home owners get out clause) was too late to save the Tories in the 90's, but it sure as hell prevented a hard landing in the `noughties` and `elevensies.` along with uber low interest rates.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

My sister handed in her notice on her rented 3 bedroomed house. This benefited the landlord as he then put the house on the market - his mortgage was £25 or so more than the rent my sister was paying him. House marketed for £150k - sold in 2 days for the asking price.

I must say that the house (built around 10 yrs ago) in comparison with most other 3 bedders in the local area is quite good value as it is in an area of Victorian Terraced houses asking the same money for smaller sized rooms and restricted on road parking.

Area: Norwich (NR3).

HOLA4418

Put our place on the market a few weeks back, sold within a couple of weeks at close to asking. It's FTB territory smallish 3 bed semi a wee bit over £250k, although the people buying are selling theirs to a FTB.

Finding the boomer houses to buy is proving more difficult. They generally seem to be happy to sit and wait for offers close to asking, which they seem to be getting much to my irritation. Viewing another one this week, highly likely to make an offer, which is almost as likely to be rejected, but I'm not planning on going up to their valuations, if we can't find somewhere that represents reasonable value (given still crazy prices), we'll just stay put and live in slightly cramped conditions (baby 3 on the way). Area is south east, Sussex, an hour on the train to London.

HOLA4419

Put our place on the market a few weeks back, sold within a couple of weeks at close to asking. It's FTB territory smallish 3 bed semi a wee bit over £250k, although the people buying are selling theirs to a FTB.

Finding the boomer houses to buy is proving more difficult. They generally seem to be happy to sit and wait for offers close to asking, which they seem to be getting much to my irritation. Viewing another one this week, highly likely to make an offer, which is almost as likely to be rejected, but I'm not planning on going up to their valuations, if we can't find somewhere that represents reasonable value (given still crazy prices), we'll just stay put and live in slightly cramped conditions (baby 3 on the way). Area is south east, Sussex, an hour on the train to London.

Another day, another offer rejected by a boomer, this on a house that has been on the market for 3 months with no offers.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Same problem here but the house has been on the market for a year with no offers. Jokers!

I'm surprised agents even bother to keep these people on their books, they must just be a distraction from the business of actually selling houses. Oh well, will just have to keep looking, or just stay where we are.

HOLA4422

My LL is selling our flat in Worcester and is getting nowhere with it. You can read about it here.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=191631&view=findpost&p=909369900

Asking prices in Worcester are a mess. They are totally inconsistent. It's almost like people don't know how to price at all and are just guessing.

Some houses that are in need to £30k of work come on the market at £300k. Some near perfect houses come on at £200k. It's just bizarre.

All listings end up being reduced at least once.

HOLA4423

In Cambridge.

Update:

Sold in less than a week for over £55k more than asking price.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424

Blimey this is post13 on this thread and no one has yet admitted to having "personally" sold a property :blink:

Edit - post 14 :lol:

Well to be fair this place is hardly full of people with property to sell.

Just accepted and offer on mine, South East London/Kent Border. On for £259,995 so obviously priced to sell at £250,000. Had loads of viewings the first week, second weekend had 3 second viewings and load more first.

One offer at £245,000 which was rejected, another offer from somebody else at £250,000 which was accepted. Knowing the shocking state of the housing market won't be counting chickens until the money is in my account, but regardless seems the market here is still going strong.

I only purchased in 2010, selling due to divorce. We paid £228,000 did a fair bit of cosmetic work but on a very small budget, only spent £1-2K and a majority of that was replacing the celling in the living/dinning room and replastering the walls. I would have said had it been in the state it is currently then it may well have got £250,000 back in 2011. Comparing local prices is very difficult as the the house has been extended massively, equally many of the others have, some more so, some less so which means there is a broad range of prices for that postcode even though they all look very similar.

This is the house...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27743418.html

HOLA4425