House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Twitter "trolls"

Now there are some total loonies out there, the guy who was threatening Louise Mensch for one, but picking this story apart one bloke has been ridiculously villified.

And his evil wicked trolling crime?

Wesley Meredith, 30, is an instructor at the Royal School of Military Engineering, the main training establishment for the Royal Engineers.

He lives in Brighton with his partner and young daughter. Alongside a photograph of the youngster on Facebook, he has written: ‘Proud as punch.’

Yet last week, he sent a message to the Twitter pages of The Everyday Sexism Project, a website that catalogues women’s experiences of sexism, whose founder, Laura Bates, had just appeared on Jeremy Vine’s lunchtime Radio 2 show.

The message read: ‘I’d say she [Miss Bates] needs a good rogering if you ask me.’ Meredith also sent the tweet to Vine’s radio programme. Hence the ‘friendly’ reminder from Caroline Criado-Perez.

Meredith’s partner was fully aware of the tweet, but seemed unperturbed when we called at their home on the South coast this week. Answering the door, she said he had been ‘very careful’ about the wording, and had even taken the trouble of checking the precise meaning of ‘a good rogering’ in a dictionary.

For this heinous crime he is a "woman-hating twitter troll" and a reporter is knocking on his door and talking to his wife about it.

What the feck? This is not misogyny, this is commonplace banter. Poor bugger getting dragged through the press for just saying that. Watch out ccc :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383808/The-women-hating-Twitter-trolls-unmasked-From-respected-military-man-public-schoolboy-men-anonymously-spew-vile-abuse-online.html

Here is a genuine troll from the Louise Mensch case, and he even looks like one.

article-0-137E2BEF000005DC-839_634x513.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157690/Louise-Mensch-internet-troll-Frank-Zimmerman-spared-jail-vile-tweets.html

I argue with all the UAF/muslims on twitter just for the hell of it (I follow the EDL leader Tommy Robinson as he's my brothers friend)

It's funny how often they start abusing you/calling you a batty boy/faggot and all sorts of homophobic names, interspersed with calling you a fascist thug.

I agree Frank, he seems like a wizard, not a pervert, and as for "ccc", well I quite like his banter, even if it's not PC! Well I don't have that either!

Sticks and stone, as we used to say, but now "words"? WTF? :blink:

I'd say some of those are banter, some of them are wrong.

The one to Claire Perry - an evil woman with disgusting views - is pretty banter-y, and certainly falls well into the 'rough & tumble of politics' - if she wants to install nanny filters on everyone's computers, she can expect to have people ask her where the pr0n is.

The 'needs a good rogering' is far less pleasant, with a great many unpleasant connotations. She hasn't even done anything wrong, and certainly doesn't deserve what she's getting.

I argue with all the UAF/muslims on twitter just for the hell of it (I follow the EDL leader Tommy Robinson as he's my brothers friend)

It's funny how often they start abusing you/calling you a batty boy/faggot and all sorts of homophobic names, interspersed with calling you a fascist thug.

Yes. Some career offended types issuing death threats to old holborn for dishonouring the hillsborough dead were celebrating the death of thatcher just days prior with similar tweets.

Im not exactly sure why people cant just offend each other and move on. If i made issue of every single thing that offends me id go mad very quickly. No one has a right to not be offended, being offended is surely part of living life.

Im not exactly sure why people cant just offend each other and move on.

Well there's being offensive.

And then there's threatening to assault / rape / kill someone.

Quite easy to tell the difference.

Doing it online doesn't make any less illegal.

completely agree.

Quite. I have seen some foul stuff on the net.

My point was that saying "I’d say she needs a good rogering if you ask me." is so mild by internet, or real life, standards that labelling the author a troll is ridiculous.

I'd say some of those are banter, some of them are wrong.

The one to Claire Perry - an evil woman with disgusting views - is pretty banter-y, and certainly falls well into the 'rough & tumble of politics' - if she wants to install nanny filters on everyone's computers, she can expect to have people ask her where the pr0n is.

The 'needs a good rogering' is far less pleasant, with a great many unpleasant connotations. She hasn't even done anything wrong, and certainly doesn't deserve what she's getting.

"She needs a machine like wot George Clooney built in Burn After Reading" would be a nicer way of putting it.

Would you be allowed to say you'd rape, kill or bomb another fellow poster here on HPC?

I suspect not. Which is very good IMHO.

Oh. What am I supposed to do with my list of posters now?

Poor Old Holborn has been outed by the Daily Mail and is getting a bit of a kicking in the comments. :(:(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415122

Didnt even bother putting his zoopla house value of £260k+ on there, just called it 'dilapidated', that must hurt.

They liked him a couple of years back..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1257023/Pub-landlord-thanks-donors-helping-early-prison-release-flouting-smoking-ban.html

The irony is most of what you read in the Daily Mail is far more hate filled ******** than anything OH has ever written.

Shame about OH really. He had a good blog, one of the early ones worth reading. Blogging and the internet have been a positive force in reigning back, exposing politicians and 'how things are done.' At least a little...

Then not sure what happened on Twitter, he upset some folk from Liverpool and they all piled in. Being anonymous with a mask, he was always ripe to be outed - not that who he is matters, it's what he is saying. There is an army of professional offence takers ready to pounce on Twitter.

The Mail seem to have really gone for him, subtlety not their strong suit. I've seen some Facebook comments and furore in line with the Mail comments. There seems to be a lot of you can say what you like so long as I agree with it.

He's on TV - Thursday ? - on a programme about trolls. What for the editorial selective editing.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of the one direction football tackle stuff.

One person (as a one direction fan i will assume they are female) commented on the players site she would find him and cut off his balls.

Lets see if threats of physical harm towards a man from a woman are given the same effort from the police.

I think i already know the answer.

The same Old Holborn as this one?

http://bastardoldholborn.blogspot.co.uk/

yes - i like his blog but apparently he also has a twitter account where he 'provokes' people. Not really my cup of tea, but he should still be able to do it with equal protection of and from the law, laws should be applied without prejudice and not as the result of a popularity contest.

case in point, he supposedly mocked bulger (i have no idea, because, thoughtfully, the jackbooted pricks we call the police deleted the tweets before I could even view them to make my mind - obviouslty l should be eternally indebted to the state for making my mind up for me, as to whether i find something offensive or not) to which some random liverpudlian took offense to and started a campaign of harassment towards OH. This particular liverpudlian had been using twitter to celebrate the death of thatcher just beforehand. If the law is to be applied without prejudice, you either can or cant mock the dead, it really doesnt matter who they are, if theyre adolf hitler or mother teresa, we are all entitled to the same rights under the law. Yes, its tasteless, but no more so than that scottish comedian mocking Jordans slow kid

From Juvenal for our times

Free speech is either free or it isn’t. You can’t say “I believe in free speech but…” It just doesn’t work that way.

If the publicity given to Old Holborn – both today and on Thursday night’s Tonight programme on ITV (he persuaded ITV to send a limousine to collect him for the interview) – gets that message across more clearly, it will be more than welcome. He adds, “On Friday, I think the media will know what trolling actually is as I relax on a Greek beach. See how it works yet?”

Worth looking in on.

Shame about OH really. He had a good blog, one of the early ones worth reading. Blogging and the internet have been a positive force in reigning back, exposing politicians and 'how things are done.' At least a little...

Then not sure what happened on Twitter, he upset some folk from Liverpool and they all piled in. Being anonymous with a mask, he was always ripe to be outed - not that who he is matters, it's what he is saying. There is an army of professional offence takers ready to pounce on Twitter.

Disappointed with the media interpretation of trolls & in future Twitter changing the settings so verified users can block out dissent.

I do follow & enjoy OH and other trolls like Skip & Will McHoebag & found the original OH 'Frankie Boyle style' comments distasteful

but they were no where offensive like the outrage death/rape tweets & phone calls sent to his wife & daughters.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of the one direction football tackle stuff.

One person (as a one direction fan i will assume they are female) commented on the players site she would find him and cut off his balls.

Lets see if threats of physical harm towards a man from a woman are given the same effort from the police.

I think i already know the answer.

If you are a bloke and threatened on twitter

You have to apologise :rolleyes:

Bbc