House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
R K

Tory Solution To Everything - Land Rentierism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23558130

People who rent out their driveways to other motorists are being backed by new government guidelines aimed at tackling parking congestion in busy areas.

The guidance for local authorities in England follows reports that some officials have threatened to levy fines if planning permission is not obtained.

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles suggested some councils may be worried about losing income from parking fees.

It comes after he said lifting parking restrictions could boost local shops

Tory solution to everything appears to be more private land rentierism.

Quite apart from the fact that to rent the little piece of land in front of your house requires you to own the house in the first place i.e. favours home ownership, yet again.

A nation of drive rentiers.

God Save The King! (for at least the next 100 years)

....or rent out your spare bedroom Monday to Thursday/Friday to a London worker whose family lives in a more affordable, spacious and enjoyable part of the country. ;)

What worries me is that most of the time they seem to be trying to apply 80s Thatcherite logic (the same logic that contributed to many of our current problems and only really 'worked' then because of North Sea Oil cash) to fix a problem very much in the now.

Not a new idea amongst them.

....or rent out your spare bedroom Monday to Thursday/Friday to a London worker whose family lives in a more affordable, spacious and enjoyable part of the country. ;)

It's really strange isn't it? If you look at the census's for the 1800's a lot of people did this. Mind you the people who rented didn't generally have a nice home anywhere else.

It's really strange isn't it? If you look at the census's for the 1800's a lot of people did this. Mind you the people who rented didn't generally have a nice home anywhere else.

No because they didn't have the debt/credit available to them to buy one....and forever rising house prices over and above inflation rate didn't make them 'rich'.......nothing wrong with having debt to purchase a home of your own, the big problem now is too many have been taking on and been given too much thus driving prices up and out of the reach of those who now with tightening credit, are having to have excellent credit rating, more to put down, no more liar loans and IO, little other outstanding debt and good secure long-term employment that has potential for promotion and future pay rises.......so the past easy credit and low interest rates are now pricing out potential new first time buyers and movers, who will have no other choice but to either rent or stick. ;)

I do like the Tories! At least they don't pretend they are not shit If you shake hands with a politician, go to hospital! ;)

Quite apart from the fact that to rent the little piece of land in front of your house requires you to own the house in the first place i.e. favours home ownership, yet again.

Not really sure why private or Council renters couldn't cash in if they have drives.

Cars take up an awful lot of space in town centres. I could take you on a tour of my local town where whole areas filled with terraced streets, flattened for car parking and supermarket parking, and which a lot of the time sit largely empty.

Admittedly the car parking being a temporary solution prior to re-development but eventually turning into a permanent one.

Clearly scope for a little arbitrage, though doubtless the rentiers will increase the rents on homes with drives, and their value will go up slightly.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Just think...if they can rent out their drives they will also be able to rent the space on the road outside their drives....leave a spare key with householder. ;)

wtf

so how is reducing land-use regulation rentierism?

I'd have assumed the previous situation, limiting parking to commercial or public operators, was closer to rentierism

(would hope to see the legislation have some latitude to include/encourage rented homes to do the same - I am sure my landlord would not object to me doing it)

Seems like a damn good idea to me - more parking options available for those who need them and the chance to make a bit of extra scratch from your private property.

I really cannot see what your problem is with this, other than a knee jerk reaction to anything associated with the right. Many people have wasted space in front of their houses and here is a chance to make some money out of it and increase the supply of parking spaces.

Not sure what "God Save the King" has to do with it, but I suppose it sounds vaguely right-on when knocking land ownership and the renting thereof.

For once I agree with Pickles the councils have no right to introduce a restriction on what you do with your drive.

Planning permission my ****.

wtf

so how is reducing land-use regulation rentierism?

I'd have assumed the previous situation, limiting parking to commercial or public operators, was closer to rentierism

(would hope to see the legislation have some latitude to include/encourage rented homes to do the same - I am sure my landlord would not object to me doing it)

You want to replace local elected councils with Eric f*cking Pickles central diktats?

I really cannot see what your problem is with this, other than a knee jerk reaction to anything associated with the right. Many people have wasted space in front of their houses and here is a chance to make some money out of it and increase the supply of parking spaces.

Not sure what "God Save the King" has to do with it, but I suppose it sounds vaguely right-on when knocking land ownership and the renting thereof.

Eh?

Heretidary Monarchy / landowning elites IS the UK economy. That's the whole point.

We now have another century of Kings lined up to perpetuate this nonsense.

Apart from anything else generating an income from one's drive will inevitably increase the value of that piece of land and the house attached driving up the price of the land/house. I'd have thought that was anathema to most on this site, but apparently not.

Would you like to see mortgages offered on people's drives? Perhaps our friends at GS/JP Morgan can create a drive way securitisation market to kick start Mr Pickles initiative? RBS/LLoyds are missing a trick here........

Edited by R K

You want to replace local elected councils with Eric f*cking Pickles central diktats?

nice evasion of the point

No I don't. But neither I want councillors with normally about 10% of the popular vote telling me what to do with my driveway.

(Council elections has about 20% turnout, and those who got about half of that amount wins).

If the council puts through a referendum banning driveway rental, then I accept the outcome.

We live in a free country (so I thought anyway).

The aristocracy land ownership stuffs are totally separate issue - they are not renting out driveways, they are renting out vast and prime estates.

Not a new idea amongst them.

con·serv·a·tive [kuhn-sur-vuh-tiv]

adjective

disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.

traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.

( often initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to the Conservative party.

I don't see what the problem is. Surely it is better to allow a bit of extra competition in the provision of parking to drive the price down. Why should someone not allow anyone they see fit to park on their drive for whatever price is agreeable? Why should there be any planning restrictions for this. I would have thought it would lead to more efficient use of valuable space.

I don't see what the problem is. Surely it is better to allow a bit of extra competition in the provision of parking to drive the price down. Why should someone not allow anyone they see fit to park on their drive for whatever price is agreeable?

Because councils make shedloads of money from car parks.

Eh?

Heretidary Monarchy / landowning elites IS the UK economy. That's the whole point.

We now have another century of Kings lined up to perpetuate this nonsense.

Apart from anything else generating an income from one's drive will inevitably increase the value of that piece of land and the house attached driving up the price of the land/house. I'd have thought that was anathema to most on this site, but apparently not.

Would you like to see mortgages offered on people's drives? Perhaps our friends at GS/JP Morgan can create a drive way securitisation market to kick start Mr Pickles initiative? RBS/LLoyds are missing a trick here........

The monarchy is not the UK economy, but yes, a fair bit is owned by a land-owning elite of sorts, but it is still not "the economy" and has not been for 200 years. And it has absolutely FA to do with letting your driveway if you want to.

But it is absolutely fair to allow people to realise the fair value of their home. I do not object to people letting out a spare room and in the same spirit I do not object to people letting a driveway. It is otherwise a totally wasted resource. How on earth to councils have the power to stop this, anyway?

You finish with a bit of harmless exaggeration about a driveway securitisation market, but nevermind.

So councils will be cross referencing every car number plate with every house to make sure you pay this £385. What's to say, they are not regular visitors to the house? Cleaner or home help?

Very desperate of local councils.

An overnight % boost to the GDP figures, by including imputed drive way rent calculated for all UK residential driveways rented out or not.

Genius! :lol::( Sad but probably true.