House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Sound Bar Problem.

So,I've just purchased this unit from Ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/398090-xenta-xt201sb-2-1-channel-home-theatre-soundbar-and-subwoofer-xt201sb

It works fine thru optical on a two year old LG but my newer and larger LG doesn't have optical. I've setup the unit using the regular red/white right/left jacks and there's no sound whatsoever on any setting. I've looked at the settings (on both TV's) for audio and there isn't an option to use external speaker. There's only an option to turn off the speakers.There doesn't seem to be any point in having the connections for speakers if they don't function, so I'm assuming I'm in some way or another being completely thick ? I've checked Google a few times but can't find any info in regard to my particular problem. Any idea please ? Thanks in advance...

I'm not sure I know about "sound bars"! I have speakers the size of fridges, and 800 watts RMS. Athough I never turn it up loud! :blink:;)

You have got batteries in the remote and have switched the 'Source' button on the soundbar remote haven't you?

Are you trying to use red/white phono out on an LG TV with the volume set to zero or internal speakers off? Perhaps the mute internal speakers also mutes the red/white phono line outs you're trying to use. Do you have a headphone socket on the TV that could try instead? That should mute the internal speakers but still provide signal through the headphone socket. It isn't ideal as you'll need to balance the TV volume to get enough level out of it without driving it to distortion and then use the soundbar as master volume.

An obvious solution if you don't rely on your TV's onboard tuner would be to use a phono cable directly from your sources (cable box, DVD etc).

If problems persist try the soundbar with a different source (your phone say) to determine whether the problem lies with the bar, the cable or the LG.

Do you have something exotic or a PA Mr Pin or are you mistaking PMPO for RMS and they'll take that sort of power for a millisecond before frying coils and a brief fire?

Do you have something exotic or a PA Mr Pin or are you mistaking PMPO for RMS and they'll take that sort of power for a millisecond before frying coils and a brief fire?

Yes, I was exaggerating, like an amplifier manufacturer! :blink:

There's no way this thing will deliver 100 Watts continuously into 7 speakers!

Onkyo TX-NR808! It's exotic because it's Foreign! The 708 got a very good write-up in some magazine, so I bought the 808, because it weighed 50% more, and had no extra features! I don't use a sub-woof, because the front speakers are well big enough! Therefore my knowledge of "sound bars" is limited! You can bi-amp the front speakers, so I did! Each to his own! I like to play music,as well as watch films, so a "sound bar" would not be adequate!

Yes, I was exaggerating, like an amplifier manufacturer! :blink:

There's no way this thing will deliver 100 Watts continuously into 7 speakers!

Onkyo TX-NR808! It's exotic because it's Foreign! The 708 got a very good write-up in some magazine, so I bought the 808, because it weighed 50% more, and had no extra features! I don't use a sub-woof, because the front speakers are well big enough! Therefore my knowledge of "sound bars" is limited! You can bi-amp the front speakers, so I did! Each to his own! I like to play music,as well as watch films, so a "sound bar" would not be adequate!

Give a Sub wooofer a go. It's not size that counts. My active sub is there to deliver frequencies down to 13hz - so well below my main speakers threshold - there are better subs to 8hz for a price . It's set so it only overlaps my main speakers by a few 10's of hz, so it's only there for low wavelengths. Turn the sub off and you realise what's missing immediately, eg, cello notes or bass guitar and drums. Need careful positioning though due to the long wavelengths, or you'll be sitting in bass silence.

Great if playing something like Babatunde Olatunji loud on a hot summer's evening at dusk, so it's a good job I've no near neighbours.

Olatunji , through his drumming, could gain complete control over the rhythm of an audience and would literally play with their movement, speeding up and slowing down their sway, you also noticed the effect on your heart rate - quite astonishing to experience.

A sub fills in the crashes and bangs on films too.

Give a Sub woofer a go. It's not size that counts. My active sub is there to deliver frequencies down to 13hz - so well below my

Yesi it is size! My front speakers are entirely large! I agree that a sub-woof, and speakers the size of a bean tin on a stick works with films, but it lacks a bit with music! :blink:

Yesi it is size! My front speakers are entirely large! I agree that a sub-woof, and speakers the size of a bean tin on a stick works with films, but it lacks a bit with music! :blink:

What low frequency do your speakers cut off at ? my small ones drop out at 60hz (they're Castle Isis - often compared favourably, to the Rogers LS3 monitor) - they're adequate as my space is just 18m2. My sub goes from 13hz - 200hz and I've set it to cut off at 75. So, It adds to my Isis for music, it might not to yours if your range extends to low frequencies.

What low frequency do your speakers cut off at ? my small ones drop out at 60hz (they're Castle Isis - often compared favourably, to the Rogers LS3 monitor) - they're adequate as my space is just 18m2. My sub goes from 13hz - 200hz and I've set it to cut off at 75. So, It adds to my Isis for music, it might not to yours if your range extends to low frequencies.

I did it again with the speakers! The Morduant-Short 906 was a "best buy" back then, so I got the 908s with a ten inch bass bin in the side! Plenty hefty enough, although I didn't like the idea of side mounted woofers. Still sounds OK, but a deleted model now! :unsure:

You have got batteries in the remote and have switched the 'Source' button on the soundbar remote haven't you?

Are you trying to use red/white phono out on an LG TV with the volume set to zero or internal speakers off? Perhaps the mute internal speakers also mutes the red/white phono line outs you're trying to use. Do you have a headphone socket on the TV that could try instead? That should mute the internal speakers but still provide signal through the headphone socket. It isn't ideal as you'll need to balance the TV volume to get enough level out of it without driving it to distortion and then use the soundbar as master volume.

An obvious solution if you don't rely on your TV's onboard tuner would be to use a phono cable directly from your sources (cable box, DVD etc).

If problems persist try the soundbar with a different source (your phone say) to determine whether the problem lies with the bar, the cable or the LG.

I have tried various combinations with speakers on/off and the remote is working and set to the correct source. I've google the issue with LG TV in the search and it appears it's not uncommon to lose sound. I've now given up and instead I'm using an old Sumivision media player with optical out. However,it's an old girl is fussy about what it will play. I have a later model but that doesn't include audio. So in addition I've hooked up a PS3 and started streaming with PS3 media server via a TP-Link. It's okay,bit jumpy at times tho. I'm currently converting movies to PS3 format but haven't tried the conversions yet or settled on the most efficient software. I'm also looking at other options. Perhaps a PC or another media player...

Well this is odd. As stated I gave up with the jacks and opted to use the optical connection. However, the jacks remained on the back of the TV connected to the audio out. I powered up an original xbox console and when I turned off the TV with the xbox still running the crackled thru to the soundbar for a few seconds and died out. I've double checked the options for audio on the later LG TV and there's no option to turn off internal speakers or to select external speakers.

I have tried various combinations with speakers on/off and the remote is working and set to the correct source. I've google the issue with LG TV in the search and it appears it's not uncommon to lose sound. I've now given up and instead I'm using an old Sumivision media player with optical out. However,it's an old girl is fussy about what it will play. I have a later model but that doesn't include audio. So in addition I've hooked up a PS3 and started streaming with PS3 media server via a TP-Link. It's okay,bit jumpy at times tho. I'm currently converting movies to PS3 format but haven't tried the conversions yet or settled on the most efficient software. I'm also looking at other options. Perhaps a PC or another media player...

Well this is odd. As stated I gave up with the jacks and opted to use the optical connection. However, the jacks remained on the back of the TV connected to the audio out. I powered up an original xbox console and when I turned off the TV with the xbox still running the crackled thru to the soundbar for a few seconds and died out. I've double checked the options for audio on the later LG TV and there's no option to turn off internal speakers or to select external speakers.

OK, I'm asking myself what stupid things have I done over the years that have caused me similar problems to yours and hopefully can use my mistakes to help you.

Can you explain things a little....

The lead with the red and white plugs (RCA phono plugs) that you have plugged into the soundbar - what plugs are they on the other end of the cable, are they same type of plug or are they anything else - such as SCART...?

And, whatever type of connector that they are, have you tried fitting that end of the cable to (for example) a DVD player or Satelite box you want to hear through the soundbar instead of directly to your TV set....?

EDIT: if RCA plugs are at the TV end of your cable, pull them from the tv, take hold of them by the plastic insulation in one hand, and then using your free hand, dab a finger on the centre pin of the red one without touching the outer metal part of the plug. A loud hum should come from the right channel of the soundbar. Now dab your finger on the other plug centre pin, and you should hear the same god awful racket from the left channel. If you do, it's wired right, your source is set correctly and the cable is good. You can rub the pins on a SCART too, but I can't remember which ones, though rubbing your finger around them til you hit the right and left audio will work. :)

EDIT 2: If either the dabby-finger works, or connected directly to a set top box/dvd via RCA plugs does, then it's probably your telly (see below for possible easy-fix) but if you have RCA on the TV end of your cable and SCART on your TV and are using one of them SCART to RCA adapters to match the 2 together, that could be your problem as the ones without a switch are audio-in devices normally and you want SCART with audio-out for that to work with your set-up.

Also, your TV may be the cause of your symptoms, but not really be at fault. My TV has an audio menu that has a section for what gets outputted to it's pair of Audio Out RCA jacks - and if that isn't set to automatically match what your watching on the screen, then you'll get audio from whatever manual setting it is set to. So if in the past you've set that to AV1, then you always get that audio input to the TV routed to the output jacks regardless of what you are displaying on the screen. If you have a DVD player on the AV1 example I've just given, and it's turned off, you'd get no sound. Check your TV's audio menu...or turn all your peripherals on and if necessary, play something on them. If sound from one of them erupts from the soundbar, then it might be time to read the manual for the TV...

XYY

OK, I'm asking myself what stupid things have I done over the years that have caused me similar problems to yours and hopefully can use my mistakes to help you.

Can you explain things a little....

The lead with the red and white plugs (RCA phono plugs) that you have plugged into the soundbar - what plugs are they on the other end of the cable, are they same type of plug or are they anything else - such as SCART...?

And, whatever type of connector that they are, have you tried fitting that end of the cable to (for example) a DVD player or Satelite box you want to hear through the soundbar instead of directly to your TV set....?

EDIT: if RCA plugs are at the TV end of your cable, pull them from the tv, take hold of them by the plastic insulation in one hand, and then using your free hand, dab a finger on the centre pin of the red one without touching the outer metal part of the plug. A loud hum should come from the right channel of the soundbar. Now dab your finger on the other plug centre pin, and you should hear the same god awful racket from the left channel. If you do, it's wired right, your source is set correctly and the cable is good. You can rub the pins on a SCART too, but I can't remember which ones, though rubbing your finger around them til you hit the right and left audio will work. :)

EDIT 2: If either the dabby-finger works, or connected directly to a set top box/dvd via RCA plugs does, then it's probably your telly (see below for possible easy-fix) but if you have RCA on the TV end of your cable and SCART on your TV and are using one of them SCART to RCA adapters to match the 2 together, that could be your problem as the ones without a switch are audio-in devices normally and you want SCART with audio-out for that to work with your set-up.

Also, your TV may be the cause of your symptoms, but not really be at fault. My TV has an audio menu that has a section for what gets outputted to it's pair of Audio Out RCA jacks - and if that isn't set to automatically match what your watching on the screen, then you'll get audio from whatever manual setting it is set to. So if in the past you've set that to AV1, then you always get that audio input to the TV routed to the output jacks regardless of what you are displaying on the screen. If you have a DVD player on the AV1 example I've just given, and it's turned off, you'd get no sound. Check your TV's audio menu...or turn all your peripherals on and if necessary, play something on them. If sound from one of them erupts from the soundbar, then it might be time to read the manual for the TV...

XYY

Firstly,thanks for the detailed explanation. The plugs are the same both ends and they were going straight from the sub to the TV. There is no DVD player. The source was the TV to the soundbar or a media player sending sound to the TV via hdmi. My rationale was the sound should get routed from the TV to the sound bar. I figured wrong I guess. The audio menu on the TV has no options at all,nothing other than on or off. However,I've now resolved the issue ! The media player (the one without optical) does in fact have a coaxial audio connection which works fine with the soundbar and the media player plays anything without issue.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclone-Micro-MultiMedia-Player-Adaptor/dp/B00534L3B8

I really ought to have looked at the connections on the unit before deciding it wouldn't work with the soundbar due to lack of optical.

Thanks again.