House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bosh

Us Embassies To Shut Over 'security Threat'

http://news.sky.com/story/1123504/us-embassies-to-shut-over-security-threat

"The Department of State has instructed certain US embassies and consulates to remain closed or to suspend operations on Sunday, August 4," she told reporters.

The decision was taken "out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others who may be visiting our installations," she added.

Ms Harf said that the embassies would be closed specifically on Sunday, with an assessment afterwards on whether to reopen them.

"It is possible we may have additional days of closing as well," she said.

Could the Americans be planning something at the weekend that will cause the whole region to go Nuts?

Is this normal? I can't remember hearing about a "we're closing on a future date".

Creaming Russia somehow, in Syria? Cause of Snowden?

Very odd. I would have thought an unspecified attack on an Embassy or Embassies would result in a hushed up quiet closure but too state the date is strange in my opinion.

I don`t normally go for Conspiracy stuff but my instant reaction was this was pre planning for huge regional anti US protests.

Maybe some action on Iran?

Also in the news today.....

http://news.sky.com/story/1123624/iran-leader-israel-a-wound-to-be-cleansed

Iran's president-elect Hassan Rouhani has called Israel an old "wound" that must be removed and cast doubt on efforts to revive peace talks with the Palestinians.

"The Zionist regime is a wound inflicted for years on the body of the Muslim world that must be cleansed," Mr Rouhani told reporters attending annual Quds Day rallies in remarks reported by Iranian media.

His words echoed those of outgoing president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who earlier whipped up anti-Israel sentiment at a Quds Day rally in Tehran.

He said: "I will inform you with God as my witness, a devastating storm is on the way that will uproot the basis of Zionism.

He added Israel had "no place in this region".

Very odd. I would have thought an unspecified attack on an Embassy or Embassies would result in a hushed up quiet closure but too state the date is strange in my opinion.

I don`t normally go for Conspiracy stuff but my instant reaction was this was pre planning for huge regional anti US protests.

I do go for (some) conspiracy stuff and if a conjurer is waving his right hand around I do my best to keep my eye on what his left hand is doing.

It's a tricky business managing perceptions of this war on terror stuff. On one hand you've got to remind people of the threat. On the other hand, you don't want to big up the threat too much. Otherwise you come out looking like a bunch of pussies scared of your own shadows and incapable of defending yourselves.

If so, so much for the element of surprise.

The world is a very large place the element of surprise I doubt will be lost.

Very curious that they have shut down all these sites, unless of course the threat was against the embassies.

I gather most of these places are closed on Sundays normally.

I beleive Sunday was the day the Japanese chose to attack Pearl Harbour.

Very curious that they have shut down all these sites, unless of course the threat was against the embassies.

If so, it might not be such a good idea for the US government to arm these characters then.

Or a really, really good idea, depending on just how cynical the geopolitical views of the people doing the giving are.

Yes, if only the US government had been as on the ball with that unfortunate Benghazi business.

Which, coincidentally, was back in the news a couple of days ago

The White House said bluntly Wednesday that it considers the controversy over the Benghazi attack to be among the so-called "phony scandals" that President Obama has been complaining about in recent speeches -- even as new questions were being raised about the lack of progress in the investigation.

Quoting officials, CNN news reported that the closures will take place in Egypt, Israel, Libya, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Strange this list includes Israel.

This news will spook 99% of Americans working in the region. I bet the airlines are getting busy. Be interesting to see if our Government start slipping diplomats out of named countries.

http://news.sky.com/story/1123504/us-embassies-to-shut-over-security-threat

Could the Americans be planning something at the weekend that will cause the whole region to go Nuts?

Oh, that's just paranoia.

US in worldwide travel alert after 'al-Qaeda threat'

Now a worldwide travel alert to put the fear of god into everyone.

erm... OK, the OP wasn't paranoid after all......... :blink::o:ph34r:

Strange this list includes Israel.

This news will spook 99% of Americans working in the region. I bet the airlines are getting busy. Be interesting to see if our Government start slipping diplomats out of named countries.

As of eleven o'clock this morning, Clevedon is at war with Portishead! :blink:

As of eleven o'clock this morning, Clevedon is at war with Portishead! :blink:

When I was at college one bloke got sent down for launching a firework attack on the neighbouring college. He was nuts rather than a prankster. Maybe he's got more ambitious since.

Embassies are pretty busy places with people coming and going to get visas, passports, efc, etc. If you think an attack is coming you do not want loads of innocent people hurt.

Embassies are pretty busy places with people coming and going to get visas, passports, efc, etc. If you think an attack is coming you do not want loads of innocent people hurt.

I know the above TMT... :)

My point on this thread is... By closing all the Embassies from a specific date in the whole region could also be seen as a good time to launch an offensive themselves or be clear if an Ally in the region has tipped them off that they will be bombing the shit out of somewhere. As soon as that happens the locals head towards the Embassies to exact revenge.

Since I started this thread travel warnings have been issued etc...

I would not want to be anywhere near that Region at this moment in time.

Hopefully nothing happens but this is an opportunity surely...

When I was at college one bloke got sent down for launching a firework attack on the neighbouring college. He was nuts rather than a prankster. Maybe he's got more ambitious since.

It goes back hundreds of years Frank! Somebody from the next village stole our church bell in 1790! :huh:

It goes back hundreds of years Frank! Somebody from the next village stole our church bell in 1790! :huh:

Either it was a very small bell or your village is full of idiots! :lol: It would be darn hard, with modern equipment, to nick a church bell today let alone in 1790.

Either it was a very small bell or your village is full of idiots! :lol: It would be darn hard, with modern equipment, to nick a church bell today let alone in 1790.

My village is full of idiots Mr Tulip! We were runners up three times in a row, beaten by Banbury! :blink:

I know the above TMT... :)

My point on this thread is... By closing all the Embassies from a specific date in the whole region could also be seen as a good time to launch an offensive themselves or be clear if an Ally in the region has tipped them off that they will be bombing the shit out of somewhere. As soon as that happens the locals head towards the Embassies to exact revenge.

Since I started this thread travel warnings have been issued etc...

I would not want to be anywhere near that Region at this moment in time.

Hopefully nothing happens but this is an opportunity surely...

Or it could be something as simple as trying to release a little of the pressure building from the political fallout of the Snowden revelations.

UK embassy in Yemen to close amid global US terror threats

The US reportedly intercepted al-Qaeda messages and will shut at least 21 embassies and consulates on Sunday.

See, the NSA isn't all bad

Or it could be something as simple as trying to release a little of the pressure building from the political fallout of the Snowden revelations.

See, the NSA isn't all bad

Tsk, so cynical.

And, presumably, if nothing happens you won't appreciate that's because the terror alert scared the Evil Doers off.

Afaic, if nothing does happen, every day should be Terror Alert Day.