House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomandlu

Patent Trolls

Well worth a read...

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/sites/default/files/TAL441_transcript.pdf

podcast also available (the above is a transcript): http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

Alex: That is 30 percent of U.S. patents are essentially for things that have already been

invented.

Martin: So for example toast becomes the “thermal refreshening of a bread

product.”

Laura: These are real patents?

Martin: Yes.

Alex: There’s a patent on toast?

Rentier industry.

\when you nevr bothering actually making anything yourelf but jsut try and skim off others as much as possible. Someof these companies are just vile legal entities with nothing to benefit anybody other than themselves.

Boom time for patent lawyers! How on Earth can a "round corner" or a "double click" be intellectual property?

Boom time for patent lawyers! How on Earth can a "round corner" or a "double click" be intellectual property?

Dunno, but can you send me £50 for the use of a punctuation symbol intended to convey that the user has asked a question... reading the full article, what happened is that such things were not allowed or would have been rejected. However, once software was allowed to be patented (as opposed to just copyrighted), the floodgates opened and now the US patent office pretty much just rubber-stamps stuff. After all, if you can copyright toast...

Enforcing IP is I would still say generally a big uphill struggle.

I was surprised the high court ruled against Topshop, in favour of Rihanna (or more likely her management). Big ramifications for something like the pop group calendar industry (although it's probably dying a death anyway) where there are lots of offerings that aren't the 'official' version.

I have a lovely T shirt with a plate of chips and a pint of beer depicted on it ! What potato will sue me? :blink::huh:

Could not read the whole thing, but you cannot patent toast. One of the basic principles of patent law is that you cannot patent what already exists.

That being said, there is too much patenting of "next logical steps" - electronics and engineering firms patent thousands each year that are of marginal use. I suppose if you invent a twist on toast, then you could patent it.

The US has a pretty screwed up patent system. For decades they pretty much granted everything and let a dodgy court in East Texas sort it out.

The principle is simple.

1. Grant patents willy-nilly to US companies, with no effective scrutiny.

2. Use international treaties to enforce them worldwide, thus handing global monopolies to US companies. Impose penalties on countries failing to respect the treaties.

3. Make it cripplingly expensive and slow to challenge a patent, no matter how obviously bogus. But back the patents with lethal force while they're being challenged.

Result: a non-US company like RIM ends up paying a ransom of billions to US pirates NTP, before the latter's patents are finally struck down. RIM loses its lead in the market, and a couple of years later has gone from a global leader to a struggling also-ran. I suspect the trauma of the NTP case turned the company culture from exciting innovation to dead lawyerism.