House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bingobob

Estate Agent Just Called

She thought I was the vendor of a property that I've just put a 'low' offer in on. Unfortunately I was in a meeting so couldn't take full advanatge. She was awfully rude about my wife and I, but I held my tounge and played along regardless. She didn't even twig when I asked 'So, what did we agree was the lowest I'd accept?' (more than I'm willing to offer) and 'so, have you had anyone else showing interest in the property in the last few months?' (apparently not). A timely reminder of how stupid some EAs really are.

She thought I was the vendor of a property that I've just put a 'low' offer in on. Unfortunately I was in a meeting so couldn't take full advanatge. She was awfully rude about my wife and I, but I held my tounge and played along regardless. She didn't even twig when I asked 'So, what did we agree was the lowest I'd accept?' (more than I'm willing to offer) and 'so, have you had anyone else showing interest in the property in the last few months?' (apparently not). A timely reminder of how stupid some EAs really are.

Or maybe not stupid, just playing the game to keep people onside? The vendor might appreciate those putting in "cheeky" offers getting a slagging, and she might have some nonsense about "kite flyers" etc. to say to you? Getting the numbers mixed up though shows her up as a bit of an a*rse, I would bring it up next time you talk to them :lol:

They are just totally unprofessional. Don't forget it's an unskilled job that any muppet could do.

To add:

Our rented flat has been put up for sale by out Landlord.

The estate agent charged with selling the flat phoned me last Friday:

"Hello? Is that Mr Superted187?"

"Yes it is. Who is calling?"

"It's Sally from Bumhole estates. Just to let you know we've got a viewing booked in at your flat tomorrow at 2pm"

"Errr no. Sorry. You should have given me more notice. I'm busy tomorrow."

"That's fine, I've just had a message from Laura to call you, that's all"

"What do you mean 'That's fine'? And who the hell is Laura?"

"Laura just left me a message, not to worry, it's fine"

"Sorry, I don't know who Laura is. I'm busy right now and you can't come around tomorrow. Please give me at least 48 hours notice in future and I'll try to be available"

"Ok, I'll let Laura know"

"Ok, bye. Again, I don't know who Laura is."

Or maybe not stupid, just playing the game to keep people onside? The vendor might appreciate those putting in "cheeky" offers getting a slagging, and she might have some nonsense about "kite flyers" etc. to say to you? Getting the numbers mixed up though shows her up as a bit of an a*rse, I would bring it up next time you talk to them :lol:

Yes, I had considered the possibility that it might be some clever EA trick but surely that's crediting them with too much intelligence.

They are just totally unprofessional. Don't forget it's an unskilled job that any muppet could do.

To add:

Our rented flat has been put up for sale by out Landlord.

The estate agent charged with selling the flat phoned me last Friday:

"Hello? Is that Mr Superted187?"

"Yes it is. Who is calling?"

"It's Sally from Bumhole estates. Just to let you know we've got a viewing booked in at your flat tomorrow at 2pm"

"Errr no. Sorry. You should have given me more notice. I'm busy tomorrow."

"That's fine, I've just had a message from Laura to call you, that's all"

"What do you mean 'That's fine'? And who the hell is Laura?"

"Laura just left me a message, not to worry, it's fine"

"Sorry, I don't know who Laura is. I'm busy right now and you can't come around tomorrow. Please give me at least 48 hours notice in future and I'll try to be available"

"Ok, I'll let Laura know"

"Ok, bye. Again, I don't know who Laura is."

Funny you should say that, I remarked to my wife yesterday that every EA I've spoken to recently, without exception, has the manner of someone who either needs to get off the phone very urgently or is carying out some other activity in the background. It does makes talking to these people a very painful experience. It's obviously a ploy because they all do it, but what's the point? The sooner the internet removes the agents from the process the better imho.

She was awfully rude about my wife and I, but I held my tounge and played along regardless. She didn't even twig when I asked 'So, what did we agree was the lowest I'd accept?' (more than I'm willing to offer) and 'so, have you had anyone else showing interest in the property in the last few months?' (apparently not). A timely reminder of how stupid some EAs really are.

:lol:

Class way to play it.

When she was rude about your wife, she meant the seller's wife?

Maybe she was annoyed with the stubborn refusal of the seller's wife to lower asking price. Or maybe it was because the seller's wife had complained about the EA not doing their jobs and getting them viewers (talk I hear is of sellers grumbling like mad about that, how useless their EAs are).

I wish I knew whether, when I see asking prices reduced on Rightmove, whether the majority of them were initiated by the owner, or whether the EA has strongly encouraged them to reduce to try and find a buyer/viewers?

What I'd like to know really is whether EAs are active in working instructions down on asking price or not, in this market. Difficult to tell.

EA not doing their jobs and getting them viewers (talk I hear is of sellers grumbling like mad about that, how useless their EAs are).

Seems a common problem. Loads of places I pass have been on for years, all they do is change the agent every so often as their house is so fantastic it must be the agent that is useless and can't sell it at the price they need. I wonder what happens when they exhaust all the local agents? Probably back to sq1 as they will have forgotten who had it first by then!

Perhaps you should have 'reconsidered' and accepted your own offer?! Would have been hilarious :)

Perhaps you should have 'reconsidered' and accepted your own offer?! Would have been hilarious :)

Sounds like a genuine mistake regarding dialing the wrong no. I would imagine we've all done it a few times... although pretty unprofessional to be rude about anyone under the circumstances...

... but I agree. It would have caused the estate agent much more embarrassment if they had accepted their own offer and maybe taught the agent a valuable lesson... or three!

The Friendly EA

:lol:

I was by chance chatting with a neighbour of mine yesterday and EAs came up in conversation - he is of the opinion that "...they all are scum!".