House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

The Television Advert Nostalgia Thread

One sign of changing times is that we used to be bombarded with bitter adverts. Brew X1 and Worthington E come to mind.

Now they are niche markets with more sophisticated names like Abbot's Finger. Sadly can't find the BrewX1 satisfaction, Brew X1 gives you more ad. But could find one for E

Great thread idea, and with many of the classics on YouTube, I'm sure we'll see some belters.

It's difficult to choose one, but after watching a few of my favourites, I've gone for The Chinheads and their preferred brand of lager - but be warned before you watch because I can't get the song out of me head now... :)

XYY

Several of my favs already posted but the man from Milk Tray strangely absent. I also used to like the Nimble bread advert for the song - today it could be used cor flogging tampons.

Edit:

No finger of fudge or panama cigar ads here either. And what were those cricketeer ones flogging cans of shandy with lemon or lime in them? Think the cans always were covered in condensation and they would pop open the can.

I'm just old enough, to remember TV adverts for "Player's No.6" which were advertised as "The People's Cigarette". Cue a load of old duffers in flat caps chuffing away! It certainly put me off smoking! Very aspirational, NOT! :blink:

I love old adverts, it always amazes me just how English they all were. Particularly the voice-overs.

This is an old favourite of mine:

[tunes ad]

I second the cut-glass accent memory long since left these hallowed shores. Here's an even catchier "tune":

Or this one, which might be considered racist these days:

Like a lot of things from that era they have an undefinable quality that's missing from much of today's 'art'.

I'm not sure about racist! Maureen Lipmann is a very pretty lady. She just happens to be a bit Jewish! Today's adverts are shit, in comparison!

I like the Courage Best ones, with those fine composers Chaz, and Dave! :blink: