House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kenclarkesshoes

Reform Of The Council Housing Points System

Hi

I believe the Council Housing Points System is badly in need of reform.

My brother works full time in London on the Wembley Stadium project,

He has worked in London for the past 15 years.

He had his name on the council waiting list for 4 years in Brent before giving up and withdrawing it.

In the time he has withdrawn from the list he has seen people get housed who were on the list a far shorter time.

many were recent arrivals and many were single mothers.

he rents a crappy bedsit for exorbitant prices.

does the points system need overhauled ?

are single men and workers treated unfairly by the system ?

is the fact he is Scottish a negative point ? if he were from a different ethnic group would he have stood a better chance ?

its totally biased. also once the non workers get housed within no time they have secured a small mortgage they can pay from benefits and the system rewards them for both - removing a council house from the stock. and also gives thm £120k + profit to retire to spain with.

while people like your brother do 50 hours a week.

single mothers should stay at home with parents.

new arrivals should have block accomadation free for 12 months.

its totally biased. also once the non workers get housed within no time they have secured a small mortgage they can pay from benefits and the system rewards them for both - removing a council house from the stock. and also gives thm £120k + profit to retire to spain with.

while people like your brother do 50 hours a week.

single mothers should stay at home with parents.

new arrivals should have block accomadation free for 12 months.

RFD

i know its biased but are your suggestions feasible ?

i agree that single mothers should not be given any priority at all.,

i personally think they should lose points.

but the aim of the policy appears to be to encourage a baby boom to defeat falling birthrates,

Mussolini pioneered this stuff and even imposed a bachelor tax.

i think the story about unemployed people getting a mortgage is surely a myth though .

kenclarkesshoes

If he had been an ethnic minority or immigrant he would have been given priority.

The white are becoming the ethnic minority in their own country.

DEATH TO NEW LABOUR

i dont think its as clever as trying to get the population to grow.

i think this stems from the do-gooder brigade controlling vital resources and allocating on sentiment, rather than real needs.

a man that works NEEDS a home.

an immigrant would LIKE a home.

and a single parent often already HAS a home - with mum.

giving them priority only encourages young girls to get pregnant and workers to quit working.

these homes are paid for from the tax of workers and are being used to house non workers.

and you CAN get a mortgage on a council house if unemployed.

i know someone that did it. the mortgage was 19k and the payments were £120 pcm.

i dont think its as clever as trying to get the population to grow.

i think this stems from the do-gooder brigade controlling vital resources and allocating on sentiment, rather than real needs.

a man that works NEEDS a home.

an immigrant would LIKE a home.

and a single parent often already HAS a home - with mum.

giving them priority only encourages young girls to get pregnant and workers to quit working.

these homes are paid for from the tax of workers and are being used to house non workers.

and you CAN get a mortgage on a council house if unemployed.

i know someone that did it. the mortgage was 19k and the payments were £120 pcm.

this is dangerous political ground to tread.

i KNOW the current system is wrong. but i dont want to start soundling like

the BNP who I have no time for at all (sorry enoch not my cuppa).

rather than attacking those currently benefitting unfairly (such as the up-the-duff-for-a-house brigade ) the system should be changed to reward others such as those in full time key jobs such as construction.

they should also build some more which would alleviate the stress on the system.

a political minefield.

Edited by kenclarkesshoes

but the aim of the policy appears to be to encourage a baby boom to defeat falling birthrates,

How exactly does Britain benefit from encouraging twelve year old girls to bring more chavs into the world to spend their entire lives on welfare like their mothers? I think you're being overoptimistic if you believe that the government actually does these things because it has a rational plan.

Frankly, I think it's absurd that this country has reached the point where someone who's working in a half-decent job should need a council house since they can't afford to pay for anywhere half as nice by themselves.

Edited by MarkG

Guest Guy_Montag

How exactly does Britain benefit from encouraging twelve year old girls to bring more chavs into the world to spend their entire lives on welfare like their mothers? I think you're being overoptimistic if you believe that the government actually does these things because it has a rational plan.

Frankly, I think it's absurd that this country has reached the point where someone who's working in a half-decent job should need a council house since they can't afford to pay for anywhere half as nice by themselves.

I think you are right, not often I think that, but in this case I do. The govt. doesn't have a rational plan & that is the problem. This govt. and probably the last one, though I wasn't so politically aware, stumble from crisis to crisis making reactive desicions, rather than proactive one. I know that crises happen & I'm pretty sure changing things is like trying to do a handbreak turn in an oil tanker, but there seems no forethought about what's currently happening & future trends. It doesn't matter if you consider house prices, council tax, benefits, immigration, or just about anything else, there is no forethought, there seems little testing (if you are so sure about 25 hour licencing, then test it in Birmingham for 2 years, see how it works, be objective, if you can't be objective get someone else who can), and for gods' sake once you've changed something, stop, let it settle & then see what happens. Don't change the way teachers teach every year, they'll never get the hang of it. Decide on the change, test it in a small area, check it, modify it if necessary, test it again in a small area, get it right, then get introduce it to the country. Then you can get rid of all those pesky educationalist (or whatever else) and move on to getting the next thing right.