House Price Crash Forum

Baroness Lawrence

HOLA441
HOLA442

The Labour Party has exactly zero connection to the British working class. The people in charge of the party aren't working class, and they aren't even British. They're just a different faction of the elite looking for votes, and they've decided that people who actually work for a living represent a shrinking market, whereas their new constituency of non-British ethnic voters will soon provide a lock on a parliamentary majority (due in no small part to Labour's lax immigration policies). Baroness Lawrence will make an excellent standard bearer for Labour.

HOLA443

What has Stephen Lawrence's mother done to merit a life peerage?

Yep, got to agree this is a WTF?

Are we really handing out peerages on the basis of family connections to someone who was murdered?

Looks like a cynical vote grabbing exercise by Labour to me.

HOLA444

Labour are all but guaranteed the ethnic minority vote anyway, what's the point of this stunt exactly?

What a joke.

She's a hypocrite too, president of UAF who speaks out against violence. yeah alright love, like they're any different to the EDL

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest eight

Posted on another thread:

Interesting blog: The murder of Stephen Lawrence and the strange case of the missing Wikipedia entries

In modern Britain it seems there are racist killings, and racist killings. And some are deemed very important. And some are “non-notable"

The murder of Mary Ann Leneghan, referenced in that article, is for me one of the most shocking criminal acts ever committed in this country.

HOLA449

This is a Scottish case that was massively underreported.

The Bbc even admitted it after the fact.

If you want details of what actually happened to this poor lad have a Google. Be warned - its not pleasant reading. But if you do imagine this crime had been committed by a group of white blokes on a young black kid. And then imagine just how many panorama specials and years of stories and updates we would hear on the case. Total double standards.

Kriss Donald murder

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

In her defence, she hasnt said 'go forth and riot, black people' which seems to be the line the race baiters in america take.

Accepted, but even so, refraining from inciting mass criminality has not, thus far, been considered grounds for awarding a peerage.

Labour are all but guaranteed the ethnic minority vote anyway, what's the point of this stunt exactly?

Presumably an attempt to chip away at that monopoly, using a similar strategy to that of Cameron's championing of gay weddings.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I think Oliver Cromwell is the only person who has got reform of the House of Lords right. He simply abolished it.

The reason given was that the institution was 'useless and dangerous'. I see no reason to revise that judgement.

Sadly, the Lords returned with all the other panoply of privilege and patronage when the monarchy was restored in 1660. The fact the Labour Party appear as keen as the Tories to use it to reward their political chums tells you all you need to know about their principles.

HOLA4417

I think Oliver Cromwell is the only person who has got reform of the House of Lords right. He simply abolished it.

The reason given was that the institution was 'useless and dangerous'. I see no reason to revise that judgement.

Sadly, the Lords returned with all the other panoply of privilege and patronage when the monarchy was restored in 1660.

Other states are proposing abolition of their upper houses. Not sure what to make of it.

Danger is that bought-and-paid-for professional politicians will be unchecked in pushing the rentier agenda. We've seen the destruction of unions, and are now seeing the destruction of judicial authority, so it adds up to a slam dunk for authoritarianism. Rents beat wages, and profits go with the flow.

It wouldn't be a disaster if people had an alternative. But the monopoly on debt money makes that impossible.

HOLA4418

It has cost the country 50 million plus. Police corruption appears to be the difference that makes this one special. Meanwhile I doubt 1 million has been spent looking into the case of the young white guy who was kidnapped by an Asian gang and murdered for racist reasons only.

It must be difficult for the parents of other victims that Mrs Lawrence is the special one.

But it is difficult in our Society to question the time and effort on one case, when you can have the racist card played on you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312017/Stephen-Lawrence-Drop-hunt-Stephens-killers-Friend-ran-Lawrence-murder-scene-says-money-spent-trying-solve-case.html

HOLA4419

It has cost the country 50 million plus. Police corruption appears to be the difference that makes this one special. Meanwhile I doubt 1 million has been spent looking into the case of the young white guy who was kidnapped by an Asian gang and murdered for racist reasons only.

It must be difficult for the parents of other victims that Mrs Lawrence is the special one.

But it is difficult in our Society to question the time and effort on one case, when you can have the racist card played on you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312017/Stephen-Lawrence-Drop-hunt-Stephens-killers-Friend-ran-Lawrence-murder-scene-says-money-spent-trying-solve-case.html

Black mothers having their sons murdered in London is not that unsual. the main difference is that the perpetrator of the crime is usually also black (hardly surprising as most people are killed by people who they know in their own peer group) and that the bereaved parents do not get a shoe in to the Lords.

HOLA4420

Frankly she is probably more deserving than a load of people that just gave a big bung to one party or another!

Still, I'd like to Lord Pin of Gurt Clodney! :blink:

HOLA4421
Guest TheBlueCat

I guess this woman has a lot of dignity and has campaigned on principle for a long time.

So why not allow some power to a decent person, instead of some ego boink who will sell his vote to the bankers?

Agreed. It's no bad thing having a peer that knows what a lying bunch of sh1ts the police can be when it suits them.

HOLA4422

What has Stephen Lawrence's mother done to merit a life peerage?

She's spent many years campaigning on issues arising from the death of her son. And whether you agree with her or not[1], she has a track record as an effective campaigner who has achieved some important goals.

Looks to me like a lot more than many of their Lordships have done.

But I notice some commentators saying she'll be a voice of the common people there. Erm, nope. She'll be like the rest of them, a voice of Londoners, with no insight into life in the rest of the country.

HOLA4423
Guest TheBlueCat

She's spent many years campaigning on issues arising from the death of her son. And whether you agree with her or not[1], she has a track record as an effective campaigner who has achieved some important goals.

Looks to me like a lot more than many of their Lordships have done.

But I notice some commentators saying she'll be a voice of the common people there. Erm, nope. She'll be like the rest of them, a voice of Londoners, with no insight into life in the rest of the country.

Oh, and the Tories have Helen Newlove of course so it's not like there isn't a precedent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Newlove,_Baroness_Newlove

HOLA4424

Archived