House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

"racism: A History"

While Racism: A History is not wrong, I got the impression it was too selective on the pseudo scientific side of racism and misguided attempts of "civilising" hunter gatherers, not the actual real (and still on going) problem of wealth/power/technology distribution and the essentially sociopathic nature of massive impersonal human organisations (like corporations, religious sects, governments, and empires). It also simplifies the Indian famines and demonises the British (selectively ignoring the problems of mass hunger before and since British rule, and British attempts at relief) and Britain's direct control of two thirds of the Indian sub-continent was only possible through Britain's compact with already autocratic, wealthy Indian aristocrats and the many decades of complicity from Indian soldiers and bureaucrats. It ignores the African tribalism, Africans having an irrational dislike of albinos, and the Slave Trade not possible without the collusion of the surprisingly sophisticated African Benin Empire.

I am worried the Welsh might pour across the bridge, and take my job! :blink:

Interesting blog: The murder of Stephen Lawrence and the strange case of the missing Wikipedia entries

In modern Britain it seems there are racist killings, and racist killings. And some are deemed very important. And some are “non-notable"

I was wondering whether Caius would welcome me as a brother, or think I am a a Roman? :blink: Where is he now ? I s he still Welsh? :huh:

Interesting blog: The murder of Stephen Lawrence and the strange case of the missing Wikipedia entries

In modern Britain it seems there are racist killings, and racist killings. And some are deemed very important. And some are “non-notable"

The Steven Lawrence case has a lot of politics involved than a lot youngsters getting killed by gangs of other idiot youngsters, and his family was spied upon for no real reason.

I dont really think there is such a thing as 'racism', more tribalism. Sure, people mock physical difference, as they might with ginger people, fat people and so on, but the same pathological route is taken. 'racism' isnt more distinct or notworthy to any other sort of mocking.

If you look at 'colonization', is just what white europeans were doing to other white europeans (and black africans towards other black africans for that matter) for the preceeding thousand years or so. If anything they were being un-racist by being just as vile towards africans as they were towards other europeans. Just as the British in Zim/Rhodesia owned the majority of the land, so too do Norman descended families in todays Britain. Only reason we dont elect a mugabe is they look like us, so no tribalism comes into play. Maybe if they had some other identifying characteristic (doesnt have to be physical, could be like a protestant vs catholic thing) we would seize the land back.

Ive come to the gradual conclusion the only reason we pay much attention at all towards race and racism is because the likes of Al sharpton and his buddies can make a lot of money out of it and otherwise evil politicians can use it to distract from actual issues, play identity politics and do the divide and conquer thing.

That's a mostly good comment, Sadman - African/Asian dictators in more recent decades and European Imperialists in the past few centuries have much more in common with each other than the helpless masses they abused or exploited.

I am worried the Welsh might pour across the bridge, and take my job! :blink:

Nah, we just head down to Bath and Bristol and nick all the sloane blondes and drag them back to Bargoed.

Job - why on earth would we want a job?

Nah, we just head down to Bath and Bristol and nick all the sloane blondes and drag them back to Bargoed.

Job - why on earth would we want a job?

Yes, there are some "dreadfully posh" people in those places! :blink: