House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Ryanair To Charge Passengers For Wearing Clothes On Flights

Once again, changing what passengers do: I'll price luggage out of the hold, says Ryanair chief Michael O'Leary

Checking in a bag on Ryanair - which this summer costs anything from £25 to £160 for a one-way flight - could soar still higher, the airline's chief executive has warned.

Michael O'Leary said he wants to halve the number of passengers checking in a bag from the present 20 per cent. Eliminating checked-in bags cuts the fuel burn, reduces handling costs and speeds up turnarounds - essential to the low-cost business model. But the controversial Ryanair boss conceded: "We will never get rid of (hold) bags".

Mr O'Leary said making passengers pay to take baggage into the cabin is also a possibility: "At some point in the future I think it's likely that airlines will do it". At present the Eastern European budget carrier, Wizz Air, charges for anything bigger than a laptop bag, as does Spirit Airlines of the US.

The prospect of ever-higher fees for baggage demonstrates Mr O'Leary is still determined to modify behaviour to cut costs. He ordered the abolition of check-in counters to save on staff wages and airport leases. Every passenger is obliged to print their own boarding pass, or face a £70 penalty. Arriving one minute beyond the 40-minute check-in deadline triggers a £110 "missed departure fee" for the right to board the next flight.

He might also p155 off enough travellers that waiting times and fuel burn will be cut because the fecking plane will be empty!

Have to say I've never had the delight of flying Ryanair but the more of Michael Oleary I here the less I'd ever want to travel on Ryanair as he appears to have complete contempt for his fare paying customers.

He does appear to be on course at some point to pull a Ratner and lose his entire customer base.

Flying naked and buying disposable clothing at the destination would seem to be the answer.

Ryanair would not pay to have the seats cleaned.

I grudgingly admire him.

btw, if the hold is empty, isn't that a huge waste of space?

Money to be made shipping cargo in those holds but, more likely, emtpy holds mean lighter planes which means less fuel needed.

Money to be made shipping cargo in those holds but, more likely, emtpy holds mean lighter planes which means less fuel needed.

Can't they squeeze some passengers in the hold instead?

Guest eight

He can fill it with helium to make the plane lighter.

Hmmm.... I need to find that picture captioned "Not sure if serious or not".

btw, if the hold is empty, isn't that a huge waste of space?

I imagine that the next generation of planes will be made with the needs of budget airlines in mind, and that in future aircraft will be able to take huge amounts of luggage in the cabin but not very much in the hold.

I'm surprised some kind of "flight crowding" site hasn't been setup whereby flyers just club together to charter jets, and tell O'Leary to stick go stick his airline.

like it or not he has driven down prices in the airline industry.

believe it or not ryanair is now the 6th biggest airline in the world in terms of passenger numbers and the biggest international airline in the world.

they must be doing something right.

Once again, changing what passengers do: I'll price luggage out of the hold, says Ryanair chief Michael O'Leary

He might also p155 off enough travellers that waiting times and fuel burn will be cut because the fecking plane will be empty!

Have to say I've never had the delight of flying Ryanair but the more of Michael Oleary I here the less I'd ever want to travel on Ryanair as he appears to have complete contempt for his fare paying customers.

He does appear to be on course at some point to pull a Ratner and lose his entire customer base.

Flown with Ryanair many times.. I would choose them over many airlines , i think they are excellent.. I only ever take hand luggage.

I am not keen in Ryan air and prefer to fly with Aer Arran or Aer Lingus where possible. Easyjets website and booking process is the perfect example of how not to implement a website - it is so awful it puts me off booking a flight with them.

I also find that Aer Arran or Aer Lingus tend to make more regional flights from the West here and Ryan Air does more flights from Dublin.

The ferry crossing from the UK to Ireland is around £200 + I have fuel on top of that, so it works out more expensive than flying and hiring a car. The only time we prefer to drive is when we have a quantity of luggage.

The problem is, after 2007 crash Ryanair's aggressive business model destroy many competitors. Become biggest cheap flights airline in EU and has monopoly on many destinations.

And now Ryanair can charge extra for whatever they like.

will the Ryanair attention whore please give his constant sales pitch for flight-austerity a rest already. I'm sick of hearing how he's constantly pushing the limits of passenger endurance (and as a result pressuring the competition to do likewise) to new lows. What next, passengers must pay for a pressurised cabin and chip in at checkin for refuelling? How about passengers pay a levy towards safety checks and we'll add a "donate by paypal" to the website so we can pay the pilot's salary. FFS

That article says the list price of a Boeing 737 is $9bn.

Really? I don't believe that. The payback would take centuries.

Nope: $74-108million

Source

I quite like Ryanair - although to admit this seems to carry the same social stigma as admitting that you are on the offenders register.

Ok, some parts of the service is crap - like the way that you have to pay rip-off phone rates to talk to anyone, rather than go round in circles on the website when you have a particular problem or query. But on the whole, they are - compared to rivals - usually cheap and reliable. Also, they often offer a choice of flights during a week, rather than simply a weekly service as offered by some other airlines.

Because of family commitments, I have to fly three or four times a year to Stansted from Austria. More often than not, the cost of my return flight is less than the cost of my UK off-peak rail ticket from Stansted to South Yorkshire. So, being financially challenged, I'm quite happy with Ryanair fares. I'm not really bothered whether I get a lukewarm meal on a tray served by classy BA totty, or whether my seat is two inches wider than on a rival carrier - I just want to get from A to B as fast and as cheap as possible.

At the end of the day, you've got to ask yourself: IF Ryanair DIDN'T operate, then, HOW MUCH will you have to pay for a seat with a rival operator? More often than not, it will be sustantially more.

IF they got rid of checked in baggage completely then they could step change their business model and run the aircraft more like a bus. When an aircraft is on the ground it is not making any money, it is costing money in depreciation and charges. Thing is at what point do they turn around and say no baggage - 15%, 10%, 5% of passengers with checked in baggae? Maybe they are tip-toeing to this decision point.

It isn't really a big deal.

The hand luggage is pretty large. The last domestic UK flight (london-scotland) I was on, the majority of passengers didn't have check in luggage. The main exception seemed to be people with golf clubs. On the low cost airlines the flight costs are ludicrously low anyway, when you compare it to any other means of transport to cover a similar distance.