House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

How To Know You Possible May Be Struck By Lighting

6C8448108-Lightning_Mike_and_Sean_V6-S.blocks_desktop_small.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/decades-later-hair-raising-photo-still-reminder-lightning-danger-6C10791362

The photo has been reprinted, posted and passed around for decades: Two grinning brothers, hair standing on end, unaware that they were minutes away from being struck by lightning while climbing Moro Rock in California’s Sequoia National Park.

“We were from San Diego and really stupid,” says Michael McQuilken, who was a long-haired 18-year-old when the snapshot was taken on Aug. 20, 1975. His brother Sean was 12.

“We thought it was something funny.”

But now, nearly 38 years later, McQuilken says he recalls that deadly afternoon in the Sierra Nevada mountains vividly: The flash of white light as bright as arc welding, the deafening explosion, the feeling of becoming weightless and being lifted off the ground.

Although the kids didn't know it then, hair standing on end and tingling skin may be signs that a lightning strike may be imminent, experts say. If that happens, the best advice is to seek shelter immediately. If that's not possible, squat low to the ground on the balls of your feet, making yourself the smallest target possible and minimize contact with the ground. Then, as soon as possible, get out of the area.

Fascinating.

Anyone ever been caught up in this phenomenon?

Thankfully not, but if you ever experience something like this, get as close to the ground as possible. Do not reach for your camera...

Even if you knew nothing about lightning, it takes a specal kind of stoops to do this:

MQ3NW.jpg

Here's more:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2004-09/1095325697.Es.r.html

No but was watching River Monsters last night. They were trying to catch Wolf fish in South America and the cameraman was struck by lightning on the head. Survived with a headache.

Yes when I was about thirteen a group of us were camping at a local beach when the exact same happened concerning hair standing on end ,but no one was struck, but a large building about 150 meters away was ,i can also remember a strange sort of metallic taste in my mouth when the hair standing on end was happening

Yes when I was about thirteen a group of us were camping at a local beach when the exact same happened concerning hair standing on end ,but no one was struck, but a large building about 150 meters away was ,i can also remember a strange sort of metallic taste in my mouth when the hair standing on end was happening

The way lightning gets to the ground is via a complex route of upwards and downwards connections, with segments of the path being completed in steps (obviously very quickly though). There will potentially be a few sites on the ground where the likelihood of a strike is high enough to allow the formation of a 'streamer', an upwards travelling trail which was attempting to connect with the main path to get a strike at the point on the ground it originated from.

In this photo you can see a streamer which failed to connect originating from the top of the mast in the left of the picture:

10.jpg

Yes and like long time lurking I had a strange metallic taste in my mouth that I can recall quite vividly 20years on after the event which happened walking back to school across the rugby field. My first clue was when a group of friends started smirking and pointing to my hair. Instinct took over and I ran for cover in the sports hall.

I expect you are tasting the air becoming ionised. Ionised air is very conductive. You are probably in a channel of ionised air when this happens and there maybe several channels reaching to cloud at the point. It's just luck or not whether your channel is the quickes route to ground.

This is where a tinfoil hat really comes into its own.

How about a spiked German helmet, just to tempt fate? :blink:

This is where a tinfoil hat really comes into its own.

Well the recent case of that bloke who sold governments fake bomb-detectors suggests this might actually be a viable business proposition if you haven't got too many scruples.

I mean convincing a few of my dozy local councillors that buying your "Personal Ionic Suppression Helmets" will protect council workers who work outdoors from lightning strikes wouldn't be too difficult - especially as hi-viz jackets are so last season now that practically every fooker is wearing one these days...!

Best of luck with your P.I.S.H. business Scunna mate...and don't forget to hint at the potential for personal injury claims from the poor employee zapped while doing the white lines on the school footy pitch - they'll shit money in your direction once you've pressed the appropriate buttons...

;)

XYY

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/2004/06/0623_040623_lightningfacts_2.html

Positive lightning is particularly dangerous, because it frequently strikes away from the rain core, either ahead or behind the thunderstorm. It can strike as far as 5 or 10 miles (8 or 16 kilometers) from the storm, in areas that most people do not consider to be a lightning-risk area.

• Use the 30-30 rule, when visibility is good and there is nothing obstructing your view of the thunderstorm. When you see lightning, count the time until you hear thunder. If that time is 30 seconds or less, the thunderstorm is within six miles (ten kilometers) of you and is dangerous. Seek shelter immediately.

The threat of lightning continues for a much longer period than most people realize. Wait at least 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder before leaving shelter. Don't be fooled by sunshine or blue sky!

Didn't realise that being miles away from it and your still not safe.

Get into a plane! At least it's a natural Faraday cage! Faiiing, that a car with a hard top! How Benjamin Franklin flew kites in thunderstorms, and got away with it, well God only knows! :blink:

Your chances of being struck by lightning AND being trampled to death by horses increase dramatically in the presence of this lady...

XYY