House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Hand Held Scanner

R K

HOLA441

Local Tesco has just implemented this system.

This is NOT the permanent self-service tills.

This is where you are given a hand held scanner before you start shopping and which fits into a holder on your trolley.

As you walk around the store you scan the items as you put them in your trolley.

When you've finished shopping you then pay at a special payment till.

I didn't use it (I'd rather keep the part time workers on the tills in employment), but it appears that Tesco at least are speeding up tech enabling them to dramatically reduce their headcount and shift that cost onto their customers. In much the same way petrol garages did 30 years ago.

Anyone else experienced this?

Are other supermarkets doing it?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

This is where you are given a hand held scanner before you start shopping and which fits into a holder on your trolley.

As you walk around the store you scan the items as you put them in your trolley.

I didn't use it (I'd rather keep the part time workers on the tills in employment), but it appears that Tesco at least are speeding up tech enabling them to dramatically reduce their headcount and shift that cost onto their customers. In much the same way petrol garages did 30 years ago.

Yep Waitrose have for while

My link

HOLA444

I first heard about this well over a decade ago in a supermarket at the Gyle in Edinburgh, although it was dropped IIRC. Waitrose still do it I think.

Soon Not A Chain Retailer posted about this recently, he said that the issue for retailers is that a running total curtails the amount people spend.

HOLA445

This is just the beginning - this is hwat you get when technology becomes cheaper and cheaper whilst the governent and banks do everything in their power to make things more expensive.

There are massive job losses coming as a result of this latest round of money printing pushing many more companies to bite the bullet, invest and wipe out their manpower costs.

Once the investment is made the jobs will be gone for good.

HOLA446

Take a trip to Broadheath Waitrose instead.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Sainsburys in Weston super mare were doing that, like 15 years ago. They didn't seem to trust people, most of those doing it had a ticket spat out saying it was going to be re-scanned by staff (but you did get to queue jump so as not to take too much longer).

HOLA449

Yes, my local Tesco installed them this week but not yet in operation.

My first thought was just how many staff will now lose their jobs and I also wondered how this would affect their share price.

Swansea became a Tesco town because the jobs were apparently needed. Now it looks like we get to shop at Tesco but have fewer job benefits.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

When I lived in E16 a few years ago, Tesco Galleons Lock had introduced them and I think the Tesco between Romford and Harold Hill had too.

Not seen them up here yet in Huddersfield as the store is a bit decrepit. It does however have self check out.

Prefer the self check out tills actually, though those with big shops shouldn't be allowed to use them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They have to find ways to cut costs to keep the executive pay gravy train chugging along.

Who pays the Tesco CEO's wages of £6.9m a year? We do

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jan/18/pays-tesco-ceo-wages-we-do

As large firms use cutting jobs as a means of cutting costs, they all think someone else will come along and employ the people. NIMBY corporatism. We're not having these workers in our backyard but we want someone else to employ them so they can still spend in our stores.

HOLA4416

I refuse to use self service tills or autoscan tills in Uk or Oz. Long run, it's not good for the society in which I want to live.

Luckily, living in Hong Kong there are millions of low paid jobs in shops etc which keeps society cohesive as everyone from the dumbest to the smartest can find paid employment. Plus, if they tried it in HK a million old chinese ladies would rip the retailers a new arsehole by 'forgetting' stuff.

HOLA4417

As large firms use cutting jobs as a means of cutting costs, they all think someone else will come along and employ the people. NIMBY corporatism. We're not having these workers in our backyard but we want someone else to employ them so they can still spend in our stores.

+1

I think you may well have coined the phrase of the year.

HOLA4418

I didn't use it (I'd rather keep the part time workers on the tills in employment)

I'm with you but unfortunately,most people are more than happy to use the automated tills.It used to be the old line that,

'You'll always be able to get a job at Tesco.'

Not for much longer.

HOLA4419

Safeway used to do this 10+ years ago with something they called Shop'n'Go but unfortunately most people did just that and 'forgot' to scan things :P I think they used to have some sort of clubcard style thing to which guessed what you were likely to buy and then gave you a manual check if what you scanned wasn't usual.

I used to work on the checkout there whilst a student and everyone hated being on the manual review checkout where we would find various items that people had forgot to scan and some were told they were not allowed to use the service anymore.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

When I lived in E16 a few years ago, Tesco Galleons Lock had introduced them and I think the Tesco between Romford and Harold Hill had too.

Yes the one near Harold Hill does quite a few of them. Does any know how they check what you have put into your trolley? I am thinking finest for value here! :P

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yes the one near Harold Hill does quite a few of them. Does any know how they check what you have put into your trolley? I am thinking finest for value here! :P

When do I get an edit freature!

Yes the one near Harold Hill does have quite a few of them. Does anyone know how they check what you have put into your trolley? I am thinking finest for value here! :P

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived