House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Sheffield City Council Told To Shelve 'sneaky' Bin Tax Plans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-23510219

A council proposing a "bin tax" on privately rented student accommodation blocks has been ordered to stop by Communities Secretary Eric Pickles.

Labour-run Sheffield City Council had approved a policy enabling it to charge to collect waste from landlords.

Conservative MP Mr Pickles said it was "the worst form of short-term thinking" and accused the council of using students as a "revenue generator".

The council, however, said it was addressing an "unfairness" in the city.

Private student accommodation blocks are exempt from paying council tax and do not pay business rates, both of which help fund waste collection.

I thought short term thinking was a prerequisite of being in power?

I think the idea was to use the landlord as a revenue generator not the students and lets be honest any increase in charges would be met by increased debt for students which would boost GDP and Pickles accuses the council of being short term thinkers. He's just upset the govt didn't come up with the idea to boost growth.

This is from Sheffield who already refuse to collect refuse from blocks of flats; not just students.

Despite most of the residents in my block paying council tax, the council refused to collect the refuse and we had to arrange private collection.

This is from Sheffield who already refuse to collect refuse from blocks of flats; not just students.

Despite most of the residents in my block paying council tax, the council refused to collect the refuse and we had to arrange private collection.

I'm not surprised really, everything is set up for people i.e. single family units living in owner-occupied houses. Everybody else belongs to various degrees of unpeople.

The politicians want a monopoly in sort term thinking and ripping off students. Keep them off the dole and borrowing to spruce up the numbers and fan a few btl flames.

How do they justify that? I thought it was a statutory requirement.

Methinks you and IRRO should make a break over the border to the Peoples Republic of Kirklees. If you can get as far as Holmfirth I have passports and identity papers waiting.

Psst: No problem with bin collections here.

Edited by aSecureTenant

How do they justify that? I thought it was a statutory requirement.

Excessive volume. They would only collect 2 1000 litre wheelie bins per week.

This is a 200 flat development; mainly large 3 bed flats. The total volume of waste requiring disposal is approx 15000 litres per week.

For reference a normal home wheelie bin is about 150 litres.

Excessive volume. They would only collect 2 1000 litre wheelie bins per week.

This is a 200 flat development; mainly large 3 bed flats. The total volume of waste requiring disposal is approx 15000 litres per week.

For reference a normal home wheelie bin is about 150 litres.

Sounds like there may be grounds for a legal challenge, they are effectively saying one carrier bag per flat per week, not sure how they'd square that with their legal obligations.

No doubt you looked into that.

Sounds like there may be grounds for a legal challenge, they are effectively saying one carrier bag per flat per week, not sure how they'd square that with their legal obligations.

No doubt you looked into that.

If they were actually doing that it would be open to challenge, but they are not.

You must not read anything into a 'Star article'. Chip wrapping at the best.

As to the flats talked about above, I suggest you get in touch with the council and ask why the rubbish is not collected in your flats?

In my area, someone complained that their rubbish wasnt collected. They were living over some shops! Trouble was no one had bothered telling the council that the property was sub let, and there were non business tennants above the shop. Naughty Naughty. :o

On reading the article again:-

"so far we have not charged any student accommodation sites for their waste collection, though we have approved a policy to enable us to do this in the future' Cabinet member responsible.

Bonner

It's pretty crap for other tax payers if the council have to empty student bins for free.

I'm always told students are a big boost to the local economy.

It's pretty crap for other tax payers if the council have to empty student bins for free.

The same could be said for any household which has its bins emptied for free e.g. unemployed households and low income pensioners.

If you think it's "pretty crap" then I assume you have a better alternative, so what would it be? Student households to pay council tax? Universal bin collection to be abolished?

I'm always told students are a big boost to the local economy.

Had a look round the new student flats being built in my town. Quite amazing how quickly and how much they can build when there is a will. They were "sold" on the basis of how much they will benefit the local economy but suspect an increasing amount of student money will be captured as more and more is brought on campus.

The same could be said for any household which has its bins emptied for free e.g. unemployed households and low income pensioners.

If you think it's "pretty crap" then I assume you have a better alternative, so what would it be? Student households to pay council tax? Universal bin collection to be abolished?

Probably Sarah wants a "bin tax" for social tenants for having too many wheelies. :rolleyes:

so it would make quite a lot of sense moving to a "pay as you use" council/municipal system then wouldn't it?

...especially if there were maybe half a dozen refuse collection companies instead of a local government monopoly.

the problem with local government is its "insular" nature.

if they were faced with other people vying for the same business,they would have to radically improve their quality of service (and/or drastically reduce their price)or go to the wall.

(frankly I haven't got a problem with a+e charging people a few extra quid for services rendered after a drunken night out, so they could probably make up the difference that way...but it is and instead of....not an as well as option)

Edited by oracle

so you should levy the council for a refund on lack of services paid for.

it should be treated the same way as any other employment contract with lets say a builder.

you agree a price, the price gets paid, and then work agreed to is not done to the correct standard, and not signed for as made good by end user.

either the builder agrees to repair work to the quality expected, or a discount is applicable.

Edited by oracle

so you should levy the council for a refund on lack of services paid for.

it should be treated the same way as any other employment contract with lets say a builder.

If only it worked like that. Our solicitors basically said that the problem is that council and the residents have different views on what contributes "appropriate" refuse collection, and unfortunately, that is for the council to decree.

The option of fighting it out in court was not realistic. As it was, there was a local refuse disposal company that was chomping at the bit to give us 4x weekly collections at a very low price.

They operate the local refuse incinerator, rebuilt to state-of-the-art specifications at huge expensive after pressure by the council who were looking for a solution to the refuse problem (nearby landfill was all fully exhausted), once built, the council promptly changed its policy so that domestic refuse should not be incinerated, as far as was practical, leaving the incinerator standing idle, and the company that built it bleeding cash.

If only it worked like that. Our solicitors basically said that the problem is that council and the residents have different views on what contributes "appropriate" refuse collection, and unfortunately, that is for the council to decree.

and who are the council?

are they not supposed to be made up of local people of all walks of life?...do they need their bins emptied too?

and on what terms& conditions are they elected?

there is such a thing as "representation of the people act" for national government...although many of the present incumbents have been in clear violation of that.

now what about local government?

The option of fighting it out in court was not realistic. As it was, there was a local refuse disposal company that was chomping at the bit to give us 4x weekly collections at a very low price.

They operate the local refuse incinerator, rebuilt to state-of-the-art specifications at huge expensive after pressure by the council who were looking for a solution to the refuse problem (nearby landfill was all fully exhausted), once built, the council promptly changed its policy so that domestic refuse should not be incinerated, as far as was practical, leaving the incinerator standing idle, and the company that built it bleeding cash.

(shame that last one really, could turn it into a mini power-station and put a bit of juice back into the national grid.Actually given we have sizeable threat to things like power stations from "terorists" it would make quite a lot of sense decentralising sources of power)

..and then lower the prices even more.

glad you see my point about monopolies in local municipal services....they exist to protect their own most of the time

....but it can and will die.

Edited by oracle

(shame that last one really, could turn it into a mini power-station and put a bit of juice back into the national grid.Actually given we have sizeable threat to things like power stations from "terorists" it would make quite a lot of sense decentralising sources of power)

It was built as a mini power station and central heating/hot water supply for the University, city centre offices and shops.

Part of the reason that the operator is bleeding money, is because they can't burn enough rubbish to run their generators and have to burn expensive natural gas to make up the shortfall on their contract heat deliveries.

Edited by ChumpusRex

I would like the council tax abolished, and people told to find private collection. Eg http://www.wasteconcern.com/index.cfm?asset_id=1504

They collect a 240-litre bin once a week for £480 a year. And no need to recycle, they do it all for you.

[Don't bother posting to say the councils have other services to pay for - council tax only accounts for 16% of council revenue anyway - most of it comes from the block grant from central government - so there really is no need to be charging a council tax anyway - it is just printing money to spend on themselves. Any private business would cut its costs by 16% if necessary.]

Edited by pjw

Dear All,

Done some digging.

The charge was intended for private flats owned by multi nationals. Private purpose built flats UNITE on Penistone Road.

This isnt about HMO's as said by the "Star chip wrapper". Its also not about halls of residence, both pay thier dues already.

We have a crazy system now due to "Pickeled Onions" where Halls of residences, private HMO's pay, and tax avoiding multi national owned huge blocks of flats do not.

I for one want them to pay up. In effect everyone in Sheffield is subsidising the big business. One has to ask oneself is this fair.

So no sneeky "bin tax".

What a shock the "Star" gets it wrong again. :o

Bonner

Edited by bonner