House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

How To Dodge Amazon's New Delivery Charges? Just Add A Bargain Basement Book To Your Order

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2381338/How-dodge-Amazons-delivery-charge-hikes-Just-add-bargain-basement-book-order.html

Savvy shoppers have found a novel way to beat Amazon's delivery price hikes - by adding bargain basement books and unfashionable CDs to their order.

The online retailer now requires customers to spend a minimum of £10 on some items in order to qualify for free delivery, but any order with a book still qualifies for free postage regardless of the price.

Consequently, unusual book titles and albums by old X-Factor contestants that cost less than a stamp are proving popular after shoppers discovered they can be used to slash delivery costs.

Book titles including 'AQA Anthology Study Guide Poems from Duffy, Armitage, Pre 1914', Blackstone's 'Statutes on Contract, Tort and Restitution 2010-2011' and 'Towards a Post-Fordist Welfare State?' have proved surprisingly popular, after bargain hunters shared their tips on a money saving website.

Amazon announced last week that customers must spend a minimum of £10 on certain items to use its 'Free Super Saver Delivery' option.

Is this a clever way of Amazon saving on expensive storage space for titles it can't get rid off? Or are consumers really being clever?

Although it's certainly a good way of getting people to spend more to avoid postage costs.

Ordering an extra something you don't want in order to get over the postage threshold is hardly a new idea.

I think he meant buying a 20p ish book gives you free delivery for the whole thing even if it is under the gbp10.

Free supersaver items to Ireland are welcome however I usually find items that are not on super saver to be cheaper as many of the supersaver items have the postage built in to the price.

Yeah all the 20p items are from third party sellers where you still have to pay the postage.

What is so hard about waiting a week or two until you can find something else to take the price above £10?

I noticed at Boots you have to spend a minimum amount of £20 to get free delivery to store. Strange policy but i suppose some retailers have more developed online retail.

Who is selling books at say 29 pence and how are they making money? Barely worth inputting data for that little?

1p book sellers make a little profit from the £2.80 postage

Fba sellers (fulfilled by Az - prices below £2.81) send their books to Az warehouse & save by piggy backing on cheap Az bulk postage

Who is selling books at say 29 pence and how are they making money? Barely worth inputting data for that little?

I think those items are now removed from Amazon fullfillment and it looks like no one bothers to click through the DM link before disputing either.

Dailymail actually had a screen shot on how it (use to) worked.

article-2381338-1B108C36000005DC-801_634x473.jpg

I order pretty much everything from the evil USA. Everything is half price, even if you factor tax + customs.

Yeah. I have started ordering shaving items that are not available in the Uk (for african american skin). Delivery was quick (estimate was 20 days but turned up in a week)

1p book sellers make a little profit from the £2.80 postage

Fba sellers (fulfilled by Az - prices below £2.81) send their books to Az warehouse & save by piggy backing on cheap Az bulk postage

whose delivering these books so cheap?

whose delivering these books so cheap?

What delivering a single book untracked for more than 50% of what a private courier would deliver a box of a 100 of them guaranteed nextday track. Er, my guess would be Royal Mail.

Heard an astonishing rumour about about Royal Mail privatisation, can't share at the moment though, neither you or the public will like it and can't say I'm keen either actually.

What delivering a single book untracked for more than 50% of what a private courier would deliver a box of a 100 of them guaranteed nextday track. Er, my guess would be Royal Mail.

Heard an astonishing rumour about about Royal Mail privatisation, can't share at the moment though, neither you or the public will like it and can't say I'm keen either actually.

I'm sure if it could be done cheaper elsewhere it would of been done by now.

what's the rumour? you can tell us.

I'm sure if it could be done cheaper elsewhere it would of been done by now.

Yes there's often a stampede of competition against massive state backed monopolies, that up until recently, it was actually illegal to compete with. :rolleyes:

Yes there's often a stampede of competition against massive state backed monopolies, that up until recently, it was actually illegal to compete with. :rolleyes:

But do you think the price of delivering Amazon type books or similar bits will go up or down once privitised?