House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Fracking Is For The Ne Only

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/82818/our_friends_in_the_north.html

In the Lords just now, Howell said:

“Does the Minister accept that it could be a mistake to think of, discuss fracking in terms of the whole United Kingdom in one go?

There are obviously in beautiful rural areas, worries not just about the drilling and the fracking, which I think are exaggerated, but about the trucks, the delivery and the roads and the disturbance. And those are quite justified worries. But there are large uninhabited and desolate areas, certainly up in the North East where there’s plenty of room for fracking well away from anyone’s residence where it can be conducted without any kind of threat to the rural environment. So would she agree that a distinction should be made between one area and another rather than lumping them all together? And if we can push ahead with this kind of gas production, this takes us fast away from the kind of coal burning which is actually increasing at the moment because of delays in gas production.“

Sounds OK to me, if the South East wishes to revert to a rustic wilderness without the need for power.

I hope they frack the living F out of anywhere where they opposed renewable "because windmills look a bit ugly" personally.

Cruel but I'd get a giggle out of it.

I think the locals should get to decide. Put it to a vote, yes or no, with a decision by simple majority.

This applies to Fracking, Coal Mines, Power stations, the Severn barrage, all of it.

And if more than 50% vote no, you don't build, and everyone who votes no gets their property disconnected from main gas/electricity. Forever.

It's the only fair way to do it.

That way the reduction in demand from the people being disconnected will balance out the loss of capacity.

At the same time it stops people who oppose development then befitting fro the development when it takes place elsewhere.

But there are large uninhabited and desolate areas, certainly up in the North East where there’s plenty of room for fracking well away from anyone’s residence where it can be conducted without any kind of threat to the rural environment.

So if it's not going to happen in the rural areas then it must be in the uninhabited and desolate towns and cities that are well away from "anyone's" residence.

It's just as well that the deposits for fracking are only known to occur in uninhabited and desolate areas and that it's just a matter of picking and choosing.

It's no way to run a country.

So if it's not going to happen in the rural areas then it must be in the uninhabited and desolate towns and cities that are well away from "anyone's" residence.

It's just as well that the deposits for fracking are only known to occur in uninhabited and desolate areas and that it's just a matter of picking and choosing.

It's no way to run a country.

Yes, what is a sparsely-inhabited landscape away fron towns if not rural?

It's just the Imperial mindset applied to a smaller Empire, i.e. the nation itself.

It is inevitable that the would think and act so - fracking for Wales and the North East to enrichen the South East.

Oh, hang on - they probably will reconsider fracking in Wales as London wants more water from us.

I don't think you could have a clearer example of the way that those in power are thinking. They know fracking is going to wreck the areas in which it takes place so they decide to do it in parts of the UK where they simply don't give a damn about the locals.

NE of England, or NE of UK?

Generally speaking when they talk about "the North East" they're referring to the NE of England.

For Scotland they refer to Scotland but indeed there's a good chance they are including North Eastern Scotland /Eastern Scotland in that reference but at this point don't want to give the game away to the average Scot and the average Scottish politician.

Edited by billybong

South-east countryside = unspoilt rural idyll

North-east countryside = uninhabited desolate landscape miles from anywhere

And long may you shandy-drinking bastads keep thinking that way.

The only desolation in the North-East would be if the "it's grim up t'North" myth was ever exploded, and twats like Lord Poncey-@rse of Guildford and his pals started moving up here and spoiling such a fantastic place.

You lot just stick what you think you know about the North-East, and everything will be fine.

Really, I'm genuinely pleased to read what Lord Piss-flaps is saying today, and hope it convinces every Southerner in existence to never, ever set foot up here.

Our current now-returning-to-somewhere-near-sanity house prices in the NE depend entirely upon this laughably untrue image of the area being perpetuated for a while yet - so for God's sake don't ever spoil my superb standard of living by ever actually finding out the truth, and bringing your unique brand of collective insanity up here.

Try Wales instead. They sing better. And it's soooo-much closer to Laaarndon...

:)

XYY

No surprises really follows on from Eddie Georges comments about Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to curb southern inflation.

_64735576_shale_deposits_v3_464.gif

There doesn't appear to be much in the London area according to this.

My favourite kind of but not really related story was when the bird on the national weather openly stated that there 'were some cloudy areas with rain but not to worry as they will move up north later in the day"

The London metropoles really have no idea how much they are resented and hated for their attitude.

The day will come in my lifetime when the army will be needed to ensure water and power gets through to the south east because it will dawn on everyone else that by providing it at cost to the southeast they are subsidising London by about a trillion quid a year as that is what it would cost for London to import its water supplies should the rest if England keep it . That's why I laugh my nuts off every time I hear the ******** about the south east subsidising the rest .

The London metropoles really have no idea how much they are resented and hated for their attitude.

The day will come in my lifetime when the army will be needed to ensure water and power gets through to the south east because it will dawn on everyone else that by providing it at cost to the southeast they are subsidising London by about a trillion quid a year as that is what it would cost for London to import its water supplies should the rest if England keep it . That's why I laugh my nuts off every time I hear the ******** about the south east subsidising the rest .

Most of the South East does not import water. It relies on its own underground aquifers such as the Chalk of the North and South Downs and the Chilterns

London's water comes from the Thames and it own reservoirs not from the North.

The biggest onshore oilfield in western Europe is Wytch farm in the south of England.

Some of the first gas lighting in Britain was powered by Natural Gas found from near Heathfield in Sussex in 1897

They have been drilling exploratory oil wells in Sussex and Surrey since the 1970s and producing oil from Singleton in Sussex and Palmers Wood for some years.

In fact the exploratory wells currently being drilled near Balcombe that are at the centre of the current 'fracking' protests are actually looking for conventional oil and gas in the Weald Basin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weald_Basin

The nearest power station to my home on the south coast is 2 miles away

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Most of the South East does not import water. It relies on its own underground aquifers such as the Chalk of the North and South Downs and the Chilterns

London's water comes from the Thames and it own reservoirs not from the North.

The biggest onshore oilfield in western Europe is Wytch farm in the south of England.

Some of the first gas lighting in Britain was powered by Natural Gas found from near Heathfield in Sussex in 1897

They have been drilling exploratory oil wells in Sussex and Surrey since the 1970s and producing oil from Singleton in Sussex and Palmers Wood for some years.

In fact the exploratory wells currently being drilled near Balcombe that are at the centre of the current 'fracking' protests are actually looking for conventional oil and gas in the Weald Basin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weald_Basin

The nearest power station to my home on the south coast is 2 miles away

Virtually any protest or accusation leveled against 'fracking' could also be leveled against conventional oil and gas drilling. Coal mining is worse for both earthquakes and water pollution.

But for whatever reason we are now being treated to full-on scaremongering on the subject..

Guest eight

The only desolation in the North-East would be if the "it's grim up t'North" myth was ever exploded, and twats like Lord Poncey-@rse of Guildford and his pals started moving up here and spoiling such a fantastic place.

You lot just stick what you think you know about the North-East, and everything will be fine.

It's not a party political issue though.

You think Blair would ever have set foot in Newton Aycliffe if it didn't happen to be where his safe Labour votes got counted?

Too trusting my old son. I bet there are massive shale deposits in and around London but fracking would seriously affect London house prices so better (job for Winston Smith ) to doctor the map and not frighten away all the foreign investment money. Same for NI, ie pretend there are no deposits, if property prices fall any more there will be mass suicides ....

fracking-in-the-uk-google-drive.png?w=685&h=401

I did nearly post this map.

Really, I'm genuinely pleased to read what Lord Piss-flaps is saying today, and hope it convinces every Southerner in existence to never, ever set foot up here.

Our current now-returning-to-somewhere-near-sanity house prices in the NE depend entirely upon this laughably untrue image of the area being perpetuated for a while yet - so for God's sake don't ever spoil my superb standard of living by ever actually finding out the truth, and bringing your unique brand of collective insanity up here.

Try Wales instead. They sing better. And it's soooo-much closer to Laaarndon...

:)

XYY

Couldn't agree more.Probably one of the best areas in the world to live the north east.Lake district just over an hour,Scotland/Borders an hour,Northumberland coast an hour.Highest standard of living in the country if you have a decent job or self employed.

Long may those views continue.The last thing we want is all those southerners moving here :lol:

Where there's conventional oil/gas, there's probably shale

Remember that every oil or gas reservoir must have (or at least must have had) a source somewhere below it. If there's a reservoir, there's probably shale with gas in it some way below.

Fracking has hit the news recently, what with the fear of it reaching Balcombe in Sussex. Cuadrilla have planning permission to drill an exploratory hole in their search for, they say, conventional oil. Some folk think they might try fracking later on. They say they want to get at the oil in reservoir rocks in the Upper Jurassic. But, as we remember, where there's a reservoir there's a source below, and the big source is lower down in the Lias. To get gas from down under it will need fracking. Maybe that's the long term goal of Cuadrilla, after all, fracking is what they do.

Peter.

fracking-in-the-uk-google-drive.png?w=685&h=401

I did nearly post this map.

Fracking - 64% of England.

Housebuilding? <10%

Conclusion? Tories are perfectly happy for Cuadrilla to frack wherever they like, but woe betide anyone who wants to actually build a house on Lillibet's land.

Sky piece on fracking just restored my faith in the UK a little, they let the spokeswoman from the Sussex protest camp have a good say, and she said some quite controversial things which were not interrupted. Will people take a stand against the government on this?

Sky piece on fracking just restored my faith in the UK a little, they let the spokeswoman from the Sussex protest camp have a good say, and she said some quite controversial things which were not interrupted. Will people take a stand against the government on this?

What exactly did she say?

I'm not exactly enthused by the use of fracking but most of the arguments against it are bulls**t, to be honest.