• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

There is a long history of civil disobedience in this country, I'm rather proud of it.

Tolpuddle marters are one thing but the sort of sorry protest that's been proposed so far will fall flat and make the situation and this site look like a bunch of disgruntled Alevel students angry at having nowhere to stick up their che guvara posters ...

Like I said before I think that angry is quite a natural response to the massive house price inflation the UK economy has suffered. It's economic mismanagement and it ruins lives.

Yet I bet most of the whingers involved have never bothered to vote, have little attachment or involvement in their own community and yet spend their whole time slagging of politicians for the state of the country

HOLA444
HOLA445

hmmm, rather sweeping statement there? And you accuse others of talking rubbish?

Dont forget Rebbecca's Daughters,

...or the Levellers...now there's an idea

edit: My hangovers kicking in, I must now abstain from typing anymore non-sensical (rap on here. Bosun, plot a course to boots, I require some anadin.

Edited by bob monkhouse

HOLA446

hmmm, rather sweeping statement there? And you accuse others of talking rubbish?

Sweeping statement yes but having been a student in the past and having lived amongst so called "alternative" people most of my life, I have heard lots of talk, seen very little meaningful action and total political apathy from people who consider themselves radical .....

HOLA447

Exactly.

Bemused wrote:

"I was hoping from some intelligent debate from others rather than the garbage that has since been written"

Bemused has since then slagged off all HPCers for being a "student banner waving militia" or of being "whingers" who have "have never bothered to vote, have little attachment or involvement in their own community and yet spend their whole time slagging of politicians for the state of the country" and beyond that has contributed no intelligent debate of any kind.

We were all having an interesting debate about whether the government should be involved in the supply of affordable / council housing, whether this is a positive contribution to society and whether it is likely to happen again with or without the help of a political movement.

Apparently Bemused doesn't find this interesting probably because we were being civil to one another rather than making sweeping generalisations about the people who post on this forum.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Exactly.

Bemused wrote:

"I was hoping from some intelligent debate from others rather than the garbage that has since been written"

Bemused has since then slagged off all HPCers for being a "student banner waving militia" or of being "whingers" who have "have never bothered to vote, have little attachment or involvement in their own community and yet spend their whole time slagging of politicians for the state of the country" and beyond that has contributed no intelligent debate of any kind.

We were all having an interesting debate about whether the government should be involved in the supply of affordable / council housing, whether this is a positive contribution to society and whether it is likely to happen again with or without the help of a political movement.

Apparently Bemused doesn't find this interesting probably because we were being civil to one another rather than making sweeping generalisations about the people who post on this forum.

A debate that has been going on for TWO YEARS and still nothing has been done. Yep 2 whole long years ago the forum was filled with the same old yada yada and has anything been done NOPE nothing!

If your march on London attracts any more than 20 people I will applaud you and be humbled ....

PS The thread I started was about an entirely different topic! I also have a doctorate in sociology and philosophy and am frankly bored of writing and theorising about waffle ...

Edited by Bemused

HOLA4410

A debate that has been going on for TWO YEARS and still nothing has been done. Yep 2 whole long years ago the forum was filled with the same old yada yada and has anything been done NOPE nothing!

If your march on London attracts any more than 20 people I will applaud you and be humbled ....

PS The thread I started was about an entirely different topic! I also a doctorate in sociology and philosophy and am frankly bored of waffle ...

So the thread you started was on a different topic but people start to discuss related issues instead. Live with it - it happens. You do not and cannot dictate what people talk about.

You are also deliberately misrepresenting the debate on here - RFD's campaign for a march in London has been going on for a few days, not "TWO YEARS".

This website has been in existence for two years but it does not have a political agenda (unlike RFD).

HOLA4411

So the thread you started was on a different topic but people start to discuss related issues instead. Live with it - it happens. You do not and cannot dictate what people talk about.

You are also deliberately misrepresenting the debate on here - RFD's campaign for a march in London has been going on for a few days, not "TWO YEARS".

This website has been in existence for two years but it does not have a political agenda (unlike RFD).

Believe me it's just all recycled arguments that crop up on here all the time and have done for two years. If the market is going to correct it will do so from its own accord. In the meantime just rent and be happy!!

Its not a bad life. Most of us have enough to eat, freedom of movement, chances of social mobility.

We can chose to live in other cities, towns and even settle pretty much where we want in Europe if we want a completely different life! Personally I would rahter live for today than fret over what may happen tommorow.

HOLA4412

Believe me it's just all recycled arguments that crop up on here all the time and have done for two years. If the market is going to correct it will do so from its own accord. In the meantime just rent and be happy!!

Its not a bad life. Most of us have enough to eat, freedom of movement, chances of social mobility.

We can chose to live in other cities, towns and even settle pretty much where we want in Europe if we want a completely different life! Personally I would rahter live for today than fret over what may happen tommorow.

Then why are you here?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I find new opinions and debates on here all the time; it's reignited my interest in economics which was my degree subject.

You have a go at everybody for being apathetic and then suggest we'd be better off if we all just acted in an apathetic manner, nice.

I fail to understand why the idea of somebody taking direct action leads to insults. Why not simply state that you don't think it is worth it.

You have a doctorate in sociology and philosophy; surely you have had experience of people accusing you of waffle; why do it to others?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

edit: Where's that anadin, this headache's making me obtuse. I apologise.

Thank the lord. It all seems so clear now, time to shut down the site then. Pass my slippers and pipe dear, stoke the fireplace, Im feeling weak...but I should be happy with my lot.

Quote:'PS The thread I started was about an entirely different topic! I also have a doctorate in sociology and philosophy and am frankly bored of writing and theorising about waffle ...'

'Sweeping statement yes but having been a student in the past and having lived amongst so called "alternative" people most of my life'

---Perhaps you should have done different courses? Perhaps they attract a certain type of person?

Edited by bob monkhouse

HOLA4417

I didn't realise that being sad, miserable and (it seems) angry was a prerequisite to be an HPCer.

The discussion was actually quite positive until Bemused started mud-slinging.

I asked why Bemused was here, not because I am sad or miserable or angry, but because he/she thinks we are and thinks sitting around discussing house prices is a waste of time.

If you believe discussing house prices is a waste of time why come onto a site called housepricecrash and tell everyone talking about house prices to stop? It makes no sense to me.

I think you have misunderstood me.

HOLA4418

I find new opinions and debates on here all the time; it's reignited my interest in economics which was my degree subject.

I also find the debate on economics fascinating

You have a go at everybody for being apathetic and then suggest we'd be better off if we all just acted in an apathetic manner, nice.

I fail to understand why the idea of somebody taking direct action leads to insults. Why not simply state that you don't think it is worth it.

Because I have never in the 2 years that I have visited the forum actually witnessed any direct action - just lots of talk about it

You have a doctorate in sociology and philosophy; surely you have had experience of people accusing you of waffle; why do it to others?

I think that has been misinterpreted - my point was my studies were all about waffle and theorising for its own sake - these days I would rather deal with the tangible. Talk of a march will do nothing. A march itself will do nothing (did it stop the Iraq war which attracted far more than the HPC 20 member stroll will IF it comes off)

If the proposal was that each of us on htis forum donate a £10 a month direct debate to Shelter (who have far more impact in lobbying the government over housing issues) I would support it wholeheartedly!

I asked why Bemused was here, not because I am sad or miserable or angry, but because he/she thinks we are and thinks sitting around discussing house prices is a waste of time.

If you believe discussing house prices is a waste of time why come onto a site called housepricecrash and tell everyone talking about house prices to stop? It makes no sense to me.

I suggest you go back to the start of the thread and read my post ....

Edited by Bemused

HOLA4419

Oh dear - made a post at number 8, and all hell is let loose!

Personally - I like London.

re being able to buy, there seems to be a theme that everyoone no matter how much they earn, or how little, should be able to purchase a house. This is, surely, a radical cahnge from teh way things have always been?

i personally think everyone shopuld be able to afford an Aston Martin and I'm upset that I can't

HOLA4420

re being able to buy, there seems to be a theme that everyoone no matter how much they earn, or how little, should be able to purchase a house. This is, surely, a radical cahnge from teh way things have always been?

i personally think everyone shopuld be able to afford an Aston Martin and I'm upset that I can't

you are equating a roof over your head with a luxury sportscar?

HOLA4421

please get a grip. I suggest you be less flip

HOLA4422

you are equating a roof over your head with a luxury sportscar?

Not exactly. Many people have made the point here that they could buy something cheap, but they do not want that they want to rent somewhere nicer - which is their choice.

Its a case of would you prefer to own a Ford or rent an Aston.

And apologies - it was a bit frivolous - but I can't edit.

HOLA4423
Because I have never in the 2 years that I have visited the forum actually witnessed any direct action - just lots of talk about it

I would agree that you have a point. However, it does not mean that those who believe in direct action shouldn't push the idea. It doesn't make them a student radical.

I think that has been misinterpreted - my point was my studies were all about waffle and theorising for its own sake - these days I would rather deal with the tangible. Talk of a march will do nothing. A march itself will do nothing (did it stop the Iraq war which attracted far more than the HPC 20 member stroll will IF it comes off)

The waffle and theorising is what I got sick of with my economics studies! I think it is the way of most academic subjects to seem abstract at the more sophisticated level.

Even if the march just allows an expression of an opinion it has achieved something in my opinion. If you believe in something then you should act.

I think that a stroll of 20 HPC'ers would be appropriate. No self respecting member would like to be seen in a crowd!

I like the shelter idea and would support it.

HOLA4424

Not exactly. Many people have made the point here that they could buy something cheap, but they do not want that they want to rent somewhere nicer - which is their choice.

Its a case of would you prefer to own a Ford or rent an Aston.

And apologies - it was a bit frivolous - but I can't edit.

Changing your tune now. Your original post suggested something quite different, which is what i think you intended it to mean, i.e. houses are a luxury purchase no longer attainable for the masses, rather like an Aston Martin sports car. Changing your story now when you realise how ridiculous it sounds. Thanks, but I got the message first time.

HOLA4425

You have a point.

On TV the other night was a Woman with no legs. She got about on her arms. She had a son, home, mentally disturbed brother and epileptic / alzheimers dad to look after. In her spare time she built a hot - rod and raced it.

Sometimes bears, I really think you ought to take a more positive 'can - do' attitude because there really is a way to happiness if you only open your minds.

On my honeymoon in the Philippines we saw toddlers living literally in cardboard boxes under the freeway in Manilla - the capital city. Now thats a hard life.

I know people on very low incomes under £10000 pa that decided to buy a flat in a cheap but not scummy area in Lincolnshire. He had to move from N London but so what? He seems very contented and looking forward to improving his future earnings.

Iguess peoples perceptions count for more than reality. Some get on and determindly find a way whereas others slip in to victim mode quite readily.