House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bemused

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There will be no instant-boil-in-a-bag crash. In the absence of a major economic shock this will be a long drawn out process of stagnation, some rallies then slow falls - expect this for AT LEAST another 12 months (probably longer).

In the meantime if you really want to, buy a house. It is unlikely to make you any money but if you can afford it and want one and don't mind the prospect of losing 20% of its value in the next 5 years it may be more comforting than anxiously awaiting each and every report on housing, new cars, CPI and whatever else!

If not rent and be happy! You may just find that you get excellent value for money, peace of mind and added flexibility in your life.

There is also the added bonus that maybe you will pick up a better house in 2008, as well as the comfort of knowing that your monthly payments will stay the same whichever way IR's go!

Guest Winners and Losers

I agree. I'm SO over it. When did my entire life become dependent on the rise and fall of house prices? Do I really want to own 500 properties? Do I really care? I'm tempted to sell up and spend all the money!

There will be no instant-boil-in-a-bag crash. In the absence of a major economic shock this will be a long drawn out process of stagnation, some rallies then slow falls - expect this for AT LEAST another 12 months (probably longer).

In the meantime if you really want to, buy a house. It is unlikely to make you any money but if you can afford it and want one and don't mind the prospect of losing 20% of its value in the next 5 years it may be more comforting than anxiously awaiting each and every report on housing, new cars, CPI and whatever else!

If not rent and be happy! You may just find that you get excellent value for money, peace of mind and added flexibility in your life.

There is also the added bonus that maybe you will pick up a better house in 2008, as well as the comfort of knowing that your monthly payments will stay the same whichever way IR's go!

ahhh the perfect thread.

an acceptance of insane pricing with a recommendation to rent. plus the promise of small falls and maybe, JUST maybe you might be able to buy an overpriced one later.

yes, that really cheered me up. i love the lay down and die style of it.

ahhh the perfect thread.

an acceptance of insane pricing with a recommendation to rent. plus the promise of small falls and maybe, JUST maybe you might be able to buy an overpriced one later.

Sorry Fred, I honestly think you've lost it now.

Nothing will change this market apart from natural forces, no amount of shouting or protesting will change anything, I've heard the development near me is offering flats for £33k (25%share) in a shared ownership scheme, maybe you should seriously consider buying one?

You can shout and scream, full blown tantrum etc but at the end of the day, this is a waiting game and it sounds like your patience is up - quit having a pop at other members, because you're making the forum look like a crap place to be.

I have full sympathy for you mate, I'm 30 still at home with £50k in the bank so I know what you're talking about.

ahhh the perfect thread.

Yeah your right I recommend a hard-hitting leaflet campaign or if you have harmonica and acoustic guitar you could write a woody guthrie style protest song - possibly call it the middle class, have all i need to eat foreign holiday, own car but no mansion blues .....

You can shout and scream, full blown tantrum etc but at the end of the day, this is a waiting game and it sounds like your patience is up - quit having a pop at other members, because you're making the forum look like a crap place to be

yes lets all wait the crash with our wooden begging bowls.

there will be no crash because if you wont buy as a priced out ftb - developer investors will.

and your rent will increase. its already half of a working mans wage in the north.

still, as long as your happy giving your valuble years away waiting in vain. good for you.

its this lack of action that makes the forum a crap place to be. and the same lack of action has made the uk a crap place to be.

as long as people like you lay down and die the housing business will continue.

i cant see your dad taking this in his day. or the pensioners protesting over a £100 annual raise in poll tax.

but hand you a 300% housing increase and you just sit there contented.

There seems to be a fair bit of missed the boat anger here

could you please explain to me why there is 'this boat' that has to be caught when simply living/working in ones own country ?

the anger stems from the greed of other country men and a government that refuses to do anything about it.

you try paying 9x salary for a bog roll bedsit. your insane and short sighted and i hope you depend on people me for your old age healthcare - because i will deliver what your generation delivered to me. massive debt and extortion.

its going to cost you £18 per anadin when you retire, and £80 per hour house cleaning. i hope.

ill probably be abroad. your taking the p1ss here. be prepared for people to do you up like a kipper.

theres no sympathy here.

The age thing is interesting.

I could understand people of 20-25 being fed up, but 30-40?

Surely house prices were reasonable/affordable at some time in the past 10-20 years?

There seems to be a fair bit of missed the boat anger here.

And us 25-30 year olds? We're also pretty p1ssed off.

Hope the boat sinks.

Edited by algor

could you please explain to me why there is 'this boat' that has to be caught when simply living/working in ones own country ?

the anger stems from the greed of other country men and a government that refuses to do anything about it.

Just a thought, but in London and the South East factory, shop and other unskilled workers have been priced out of owning their own homes for at least two decades.

With the migration of offices (by both the private and public sector to the regions and north) will high salaried workers relocate and push up the price of housing in these areas so that unskilled labour has the same fate as London?

you try paying 9x salary for a bog roll bedsit. your insane and short sighted and i hope you depend on people me for your old age healthcare - because i will deliver what your generation delivered to me. massive debt and extortion.

its going to cost you £18 per anadin when you retire, and £80 per hour house cleaning. i hope.

ill probably be abroad. your taking the p1ss here. be prepared for people to do you up like a kipper.

theres no sympathy here.

I'm worried about you - you're (note spelling) letting this obsession get out of proportion.

There is no enemy trying to do you out of the chance of buying a house. There are people paying current prices - you either decide they're daft or you decide they're smart.

1. If they're daft, what are you worried about? They will get their comeuppance and your (note spelling) chance will come.

2. If they're sensible, then either you're daft or not wealthy enough. Either way it's no one else's fault.

ust a thought, but in London and the South East factory, shop and other unskilled workers have been priced out of owning their own homes for at least two decades.

With the migration of offices (by both the private and public sector to the regions and north) will high salaried workers relocate and push up the price of housing in these areas so that unskilled labour has the same fate as London?

the same fate as london.?

are you proud of london as it is right now ?

full of crime with thousands of non working people claiming thousands, while the remaining workers such as postmen and drivers live in overcrowded, overpriced bolt holes, owened by the likes of the kirstys.

yeah - london. what a city.

2. If they're sensible, then either you're daft or not wealthy enough. Either way it's no one else's fault.

yes it is someones fault. its the fault of the government for allowing second home ownership when they knew there wasnt enough homes to go around. then they also add a further 150,000 immigrants into the country every year for the past 5 years making a population the size of sheffield. while selling off all local authority housing off at a discount. while building none.

id say YES its someones fault.

Edited by right_freds_dead

full of crime with thousands of non working people claiming thousands, while the remaining workers such as postmen and drivers live in overcrowded, overpriced bolt holes, owened by the likes of the kirstys.

Greatest city in the World, IMO. I've lived there all my life (or at least within 15 miles of its centre) and know it better than you.

I'd rather live here than in Salford.

The age thing is interesting.

I could understand people of 20-25 being fed up, but 30-40?

Surely house prices were reasonable/affordable at some time in the past 10-20 years?

There seems to be a fair bit of missed the boat anger here.

I think that is a fairly fatuous comment. Not everyone would be at a stage in their career or life to buy the last time houses were cheap even if they are in their 30s.

Beyond that, what about people that did buy a house back then, but would like to trade up to a larger one now? They have probably got a bigger salary due to being more established in their careers, and also may have needs they didn't have before, such as space for a growing family. Those people too are suffering, because (and I'm making the bold assumption you can do math) if houses have inflated by a percentage, then the "rungs" of the ladder are farther apart now, so just having a house which has "increased in value" since they bought it won't help them make up the difference for trading up. (Go figure).

yes it is someones fault. its the fault of the government for allowing second home ownership when they knew there wasnt enough homes to go around. then they also add a further 150,000 immigrants into the country every year for the past 5 years making a population the size of sheffield. while selling off all local authority housing off at a discount. while building none.

id say YES its someones fault.

Who wants to live in a country that prohibits what people buy? If some people buy 2 why can't you? Probably because you can't afford it - tough!

Greatest city in the World, IMO. I've lived there all my life (or at least within 15 miles of its centre) and know it better than you.

fantastic if you like to live like a rat in a box.

as for salford. its not ideal, but at least we have countryside around us - not 4 airports and a gridlocked M25. i really dont know what drives a london living dixons manager to go through that everyday for only the reward of bingedrinking and an ipod for a 50 hour week.

Who wants to live in a country that prohibits what people buy? If some people buy 2 why can't you? Probably because you can't afford it - tough!

dont be a knob. anybody that owns two houses ill guarantee bought at least one pre 2001.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Sorry Fred, I honestly think you've lost it now.

Nothing will change this market apart from natural forces, no amount of shouting or protesting will change anything, I've heard the development near me is offering flats for £33k (25%share) in a shared ownership scheme, maybe you should seriously consider buying one?

You can shout and scream, full blown tantrum etc but at the end of the day, this is a waiting game and it sounds like your patience is up - quit having a pop at other members, because you're making the forum look like a crap place to be.

I have full sympathy for you mate, I'm 30 still at home with £50k in the bank so I know what you're talking about.

Im actually enjoying the forum getting 'shook up' a little, its about time we started challenging each other more, even if its in the devils advocate role.

Beyond that, what about people that did buy a house back then, but would like to trade up to a larger one now? They have probably got a bigger salary due to being more established in their careers, and also may have needs they didn't have before, such as space for a growing family. Those people too are suffering, because (and I'm making the bold assumption you can do math) if houses have inflated by a percentage, then the "rungs" of the ladder are farther apart now, so just having a house which has "increased in value" since they bought it won't help them make up the difference for trading up. (Go figure).

Agreed. So why hasn't this simple economic fact caused prices to fall (more)?

Im actually enjoying the forum getting 'shook up' a little, its about time we started challenging each other more, even if its in the devils advocate role.

yes welcome.

were seperating the weak from the strong and the vested masked posters from the really priced out.

those that wish to take this and accept it and those that dont.

Ah, so at least you have an impartial view of the place then, no bias, like.

theres no sympathy here.

What you are feeling and beginning to articulate - surely this is how all revolutions or movements start. There must be other young people who feel like you do.

There was a program on the box recently called 'IF' - which looked at various doomsday scenarios. One of them was that there had been a complete breakdown between the middle-aged property owning classes and disenfranchised (from the property market) youth. In the program young people were using mobile phones and the internet to organise demos and riots etc. Streets were having gates put across them with security guards - even without permission from the authorities to stop the marauding gangs from coming in and destroying things etc.

If enough people end up feeling like you do - looks like this might become reality.

fantastic if you like to live like a rat in a box.

as for salford. its not ideal, but at least we have countryside around us - not 4 airports and a gridlocked M25. i really dont know what drives a london living dixons manager to go through that everyday for only the reward of bingedrinking and an ipod for a 50 hour week.

dont be a knob. anybody that owns two houses ill guarantee bought at least one pre 2001.

I don't live like a rat in a box. Neither do any of the people I know. The airports don't seem to affect my life one iota, funnily enough (strange that you think they should!) Plenty of countryside around, and London has great parks.

So if people haven't been able to buy a second home since 2001, then market forces are already beginning to play their part, aren't they?

Ah, so at least you have an impartial view of the place then, no bias, like.

What a strange thing to say! I've visited many cities around the world and I like London, otherwise I would have moved at some time during my life. Is that being biased? I suppose it is - I'm biased bacause I've chosen to stay here!

Edited by Casual Observer

What you are feeling and beginning to articulate - surely this is how all revolutions or movements start. There must be other young people who feel like you do.

There was a program on the box recently called 'IF' - which looked at various doomsday scenarios. One of them was that there had been a complete breakdown between the middle-aged property owning classes and disenfranchised (from the property market) youth. In the program young people were using mobile phones and the internet to organise demos and riots etc. Streets were having gates put across them with security guards - even without permission from the authorities to stop the marauding gangs from coming in and destroying things etc.

If enough people end up feeling like you do - looks like this might become reality.

Calm down apocalypto, its just a commercial.

But seriously, dont worry about it, go back to sleep Uk...you're free to do what we tell you to do.