House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crashmonitor

When A House Is A Money Pit

What an awful responsibility to have........would hate to have that pile hanging around my shoulders, at least he has choices so he shouldn't be complaining considering he has the power to fix the big problem. ;)

For this type of place, isn't it traditional to just knock down a wing or two when times are hard, then add more on, when you've got the money.

If he can't afford it, move

are we supposed to feel sorry for this guy. spend your own money on your house or get rid of it.

I recently did some photography for a guy who owns a very big place, we worked out his roof (which needed repairs/maintenance) was over an acre!

You can do weddings and other parties but the truth is his place used to own all the farms around it, and now it doesn't. The maths simply don't add up.

People can no longer afford extravagant expensive weddings and wedding venues when they have an all important deposit to save for......get the priorities right.;)

the truth is his place used to own all the farms around it, and now it doesn't. The maths simply don't add up.

This. Probably a pretty good analogy for the post-empire west.

Yes that is an interesting observation worthy of its own thread.

The enormous cost of housing has effectively led to the death knell for the large family wedding.

Cheaper to go on a beach somewhere far away with some strangers you'll never see again.

Well it suits the transient existence of an assured shorthold renter rather well.

Convert the stately homes into social housing, with allotment space for the secure tenants.

Edited by aSecureTenant

What an awful responsibility to have........would hate to have that pile hanging around my shoulders, at least he has choices so he shouldn't be complaining considering he has the power to fix the big problem. ;)

I suppose there is a bit of a burden on his shoulders knowing that the estate has been in his family pre-William the Conquerer. And I think many of us like the idea of owning such a place. Indeed many new moneyed celebs have come unstuck on these type of places...i believe Oliver Reid came unstuck financially on one in the 1970s.

Because the modern reality of Tissington Halls is they are actually Pissing one's Haul

Edited by crashmonitor

DO they think we ought to give them some more money to help out or something?

Faux poverty....

Tissington Hall has 61 rooms, 48 chimneys, seven staircases, seven bathrooms, six dogs and two cats. Sir Richard reels this off with the weary air of a man who has to entertain 1,800 visitors a year. The 2,000-acre estate also hosts 21 weddings annually to supplement his rent from the 50 properties in the village that he owns. He estimates the annual income at around £500,000 a year.
I'm sure all you guys feel sorry for this guy. We should bail him out, I reckon.

:)